1997 fish and ski

I currently have a 1996 tracker Pro 17. It’s a great boat for fishing however I’m looking for something a little larger to take the whole family out and possibly pull the tube. Any comments or opinions on a 1997 fish and ski? It is a 278fs. I’ve seen pictures and it looks to be in excellent condition. The asking price is $5,500. I’m also considerin a 1999 spirit f&s for $7,850 and a 1999 hydra sport for $6,500

You did no specify what motor. Anything 1997,1998 and 1999 with a Ficht I say pass no matter the price. Certain parts are hard to find and tech with knowledge of those motors are also hard to find. Any of the early Evinrude DFI motors do some research before buying. I will also throw the early version of Opti Max into that category as well. The direct injection line of motors came along late 90's with Evinrude. With Mercury (I think) it was 99 or possibly 2000. Yamaha seemed to let them work the bugs out before releasing their version of a DFI (direct fuel injection) motor so Yamaha had better result with their version of the new DFI technology. I have always been a loyal Evinrude person but I am not so blind to see their early motors were very troublesome. Hence the reason I question ANY boat with a motor from the late 90's or early 2000's.

3. Member
    It has a Johnson 150. Here is his listing. “1997 Stratus fish and ski 278fs. Great boat with a 150 Johnson motor that starts on the first time and just had a tune up also has inboard oil mixer. Brand new carpets and upholstery thru out. Brand new Lowrance depth finder with a map chip that cost over $200. 3 brand new batteries. Lights, bilge, and areotors all work (all brand new installed this week). 65# Minn Kota trolling motor that works perfectly. Custom boat cover included. This is a great a solid boat just on the lake today. Having major knee surgery and will not be able to use for a long time.”

4. Member

5. Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jtsarby View Post
    I’ve seen pictures and it looks to be in excellent condition. The asking price is $5,500.
    The motor in the picture you posted is a good motor...what's posted in the pictures is not my idea of excellent condition but that is just my opinion. I would pass on that one. It does have the new items listed but it also has a lot of rust on the trailer and the clear coat is showing signs of sun damage along with poor paint quality on the motor.

7. Member
    He wants to even trade for my 1995 tracker pro17 with 60hp merc.

8. Member
    Here is the other boat I’m considering. https://nashville.craigslist.org/boa...?lang=en&cc=us

9. Member
    A few other pics of the Stratos.