Drop shot hook for swmbaits?

I've been messing around with dragging swimbaits on a drop shot. The 2 baits I've used mostly have been keitech fat swing 3.3 and a 4" easy shiner. I've been using the same 1/o gamakatsu split shot drop shot hook. I missed a few fish and I think it was due to the small hook in a meaty bait. Any experts chime in on the right hook or size? Logically I can use a bigger hook with more bite but maybe someone has some experience

thanks in advance

2. Member
    Screw into head and put your hook through the screw lock opening that is in the nose of swimbait. It allows more of the hook to be exposed for better hook ups. It's works well for fluke type baits also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    Pretty sure if you can watch the Bassmasters AOY tournament on Mille Lacs, some of the guys were using a straight shank hook and threading 5” flukes on them. Should work the same for those swimbaits. Pretty sure Palaunik and J Lee were the ones I saw

Drop shotting a fluke is a little talked about technique on Erie.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    any thoughts on the aaron martens roboworm straight shank hook for this?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrysfishing View Post
    Screw into head and put your hook through the screw lock opening that is in the nose of swimbait. It allows more of the hook to be exposed for better hook ups. It's works well for fluke type baits also.
    These work great. The name brand product is an Owner CPS (short for centering pin screwlock, I believe), but you can grab "knockoffs" on eBay for pennies if you don't mind waiting for it. I say "knockoffs" because they're likely made in the same factory. They also work well for gauging the interest of a bedding fish when practicing, and for just practicing in general when you want to be sure not to stick a fish!

Quote Originally Posted by sofakingbigbass View Post
    any thoughts on the aaron martens roboworm straight shank hook for this?
    This works, but you have to be very careful with the way you thread it on so as not to eat up the narrow hook gap those hooks have. Basically you have to thread it very near the top of the bait. This also ends up in the bait getting torn off easier due to the small amount of material holding it on. Using a wider-gap straight shank or nose hooking is a better option, in my experience. Your mileage may vary though!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. BBC SPONSOR
    I've switched a trapper tackle drop shot hook. So far I'm really loving this hook. So much so it's the only drop shot hook I use. Works great for nose hooking a swim bait.