Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    V175 combo mercury 115

I’m fairly new at operating the outboard on how far to trim up etc but this past weekend I was able to get a top speed of 40 mph, RPM was around 5800 or so but don’t quote me. I hope I can report a new high speed once I do some research on props.

2. Member

Which mounting hole on your motor?

Quote Originally Posted by One fat one View Post
    2017 19' tracker txw
    17 150 merc 4stroke
    24 tempest
    24v minnkota 80 lb
    dual console
    61.5 light gps
    59 loaded gps solo
    55 .7 w partner gps
    no poles or jack plate
    would love a j/p but it voids the transom warranty

Which mounting hole on the outboard? I have the same boat and you are running about 7mph faster.

3. Member
    PT175TXW - 4 stroke 75 Hp,
    Stock setup but raised motor to 3rd hole
    3 batteries, Terrova 80#, 1/2 tank fuel, empty livewell, 10' Talon on Minn Kota sandwich plate, solo
    38.4 mph, 5300ish rpm

Edit 5-13-19: Installed Spitfire X7 prop, 40.2 mph, 5400ish rpm, good hole shot, improved handling. Very pleased with the upgrade.
    Last edited by Bluzharp; 05-13-2019 at 10:38 PM.

2006 Grizzly Tracker 1860 - 2 Stroke 50 HP Mercury - Black Max 10 3/4 x 12 Mercury Prop
    Not just an empty hull. Console, sides and floor added (wasn't included in 2006) Some wood for extended decks and seating, storage box, 4 batteries, 2 trolling motors. To overweight guys with too much tackle.
    32 mph GPS with a tail wind trimmed to the max. 25 mph all day long sipping fuel. No idea what RPM.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 10-20-2018 at 11:58 AM.

5. Member
    New tracker 195 with 150 can only get 49 with 5000 rpm trim won’t go higher 3 hours on it suggestions

I have a 2019 Tracker 195 TE with 150 and had the same problem. The Prop that was with it was a Tempest SS 24P. At the altitude that I am in,4600 ft the pitch was too much. Talked to Mercury and they refered me to the dealer and have it exchanged for the same with a 22 P prop under warranty exchange. Prop could not have any damage under exchange. They told me that if I was using it in one of the lakes up around Phoenix at lower altitude there would not have been a problem with the 24P. Not sure about that as I talked to others at lower altitude and it was the same.
    2019 tracker 195 Tournament Edition
    Mercury 150hp 4 Stroke
    4 blade Trophy plus 13 3/4 x 23 SS
    Smartcraft Mercmonitor
    Vesselview Mobile
    Minn Kota Ulterra I-pilot Link W/mega SI
    Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega Chirp G3
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI Mega Chirp G4

7. Member
    Hey Jerry.
    I got to put mine in the water yesterday. I have the Po XS 150 with 24p Tempest Plus.
    My motor is lifted to the 2nd hole. I can get 6000 rpm wot trim up, but its catching way too much air with speed at only 56 mph.
    Lower speeds I can't hardly trim at all, blows out catching air.
    Basically... its too high.
    Going to contact service manger Monday to see what they want to do. If lowering one hole doesn't fix it, I'll have to go to a jack plate.
    Other than that... Love the rig! Hope to get all my other stuff in soon for the rest of my updates.

8. Member
    2019 190 Pro Team TX
    2019 Mercury Pro XS 115

Bought less than a month ago. First I know nothing about bass boats. I've been in big bay boats most of my fishing life. Wanted something smaller and easy to handle and haul. Motor is mounted in first hole with stock aluminum 21p prop. Full tank, normal load, Hole shot was decent. At WOT, 5800 rpms, 45mph (GPS). The steering was very tight until i trimmed to 5700-5800 where it was most comfortable. Ass end would get "loose" near 6000. It was recommended to me that I try a S/S PowerTech PRO3 18P. Same result as with the aluminum prop. Will try raising the motor to third hole to see if there's any difference but I believe I need a bigger prop. I'm eyeing the Quicksilver Q4 19P which im told is the exact same prop as the X7 (made by the same company). Will update!!

Quote Originally Posted by tbillings View Post
    2019 190 Pro Team TX
    2019 Mercury Pro XS 115

Bought less than a month ago. First I know nothing about bass boats. I've been in big bay boats most of my fishing life. Wanted something smaller and easy to handle and haul. Motor is mounted in first hole with stock aluminum 21p prop. Full tank, normal load, Hole shot was decent. At WOT, 5800 rpms, 45mph (GPS). The steering was very tight until i trimmed to 5700-5800 where it was most comfortable. Ass end would get "loose" near 6000. It was recommended to me that I try a S/S PowerTech PRO3 18P. Same result as with the aluminum prop. Will try raising the motor to third hole to see if there's any difference but I believe I need a bigger prop. I'm eyeing the Quicksilver Q4 19P which im told is the exact same prop as the X7 (made by the same company). Will update!!
    With those changes, you be happy.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

10. Member
    2001 PT175XT
    75HP Merc 2-stroke Mounted 2nd hole from top
    17P Stainless (chewed up a bit)
    Full tank of gas, wife and a Louie (Lab mix)
    38.3 trimmed up on glass
    39.7 aired out in the chop

11. Member
    2018 195 txw 40th anniversary
    115 pro xs 2nd hole
    19p ballistic prop
    Light load 49mph
    2 people heavy load 47mph

12. Member
    2016 Tracker TXW 175, 20HP Merc....top speed 7.5mph!!! Whoooohooooo!!!!!!

I bought this boat from a seller telling me he got just over 20mph with the 20 horse...I was happy to hear that. Turns out, with a half tank of fuel and no one with me, I'm getting 7.5 in good conditions. A more comfortable cruising speed at 3000rpm is about 5. We have a 20hp restriction in PA on most small lakes (including the one I'll spend 90% of my time on), so upgrading to a larger engine isn't a possibility. Can anyone advise anything that may help. Even if I could get 14-16 would be a huge improvement.

13. Member
    Somethings not right there. I grew up fishing on a 175 with a 25hp merc and one person and gear could get 25mph.....if your rpms are high maybe spun prop hub?

14. Member
    Somethings not right there. I grew up on a 175 with fishing with a 25hp merc and one person and gear could get 25mph.....if your rpms are high maybe spun prop hub? If your just plowing maybe a smaller pitch prop
    Last edited by Dharr; 05-01-2020 at 08:46 AM.

15. Member
    was that a 2 stroke or 4 stroke 25hp? I don't know much about this...but my understanding is the 2 stroke 9.9hp makes the power of a 20hp 4 stroke.... though I have no idea if thats correct or not. I'm certainly willing to try the smaller pitch prop... any advice or how I know what to get for my boat/motor combo?

16. Member
    It was an old 2 stroke tracker motor. And then we put a 25 hp Yamaha 4 stroke on it and it did about the same. Im assuming your not getting on plane a 20hp 4 stroke should be getting around 6000rpms and 2 stroke 5500rpms. If it was my boat I would take everything out to save weight and see if it would get on plane and get an rpm reading. What pitch prop is on it now?

17. Member
    Hey Dharr.... I think you're leading me down a couple of correct paths, which I greatly appreciate.

The prop says "10p" on it, so I assume it's a 10 pitch. From what I read, the pitch # should be a two part number, first for diameter, second # for pitch. That does not seem to be the format here obviously, but hopefully the 10p is all I need. From radius measurement (4.5"), I assume the three blade prop is roughly a 9" diameter prop. I did read something saying that underpowered boats would benefit from a 4 blade prop. The mercury prop guide doesn't make a recommendation for my setup, nor does the Turning Point Prop Wizard.

Secondly, I'm hoping you're onto something with the spun prop. I had to look up what that even meant, but now it makes sense. I grinded the poor thing on an underwater gravel road that I didn't know was there that certainly could've spun it....so I'd really think that would be likely except that the speed issue predated the prop-beating. I did chew up the blade edges pretty good. It's possible it was spun before I bought it, but the prop looked in good condition so I'm not super-hopeful. The thing that does make it sound likely is that all the power comes in the first half throttle (get's me to about 5.0-5.5 mph by around 3500-3700 rpms, then only goes to 7.0-7.4 mph when I go to the 5000 rpm area (I'm guessing my WOT rpm, I haven't paid a lot of attention). But...most of the speed comes when the boat is mid throttle sounding like it's not working hard, then when I go full throttle to where it sounds like it's really working I only pick up another 1-2 mph.

Any thoughts?

18. Member
    Also, as far as getting everything out and getting on plane....I don't see it happening, but I'm working on it. I'm slowly emptying the gas tank (21.5 gal) so I can get it out with only a few gallons of gas in it...but otherwise if I take everything out of the boat I'm probably only talking another 50 lbs or so (fishing gear, 10 lb anchor, rods, life jackets, etc.). Beyond that, I'd have to remove the trolling motor and power pole. I'm down to maybe 8-10 gal in the tank now. Also noteworthy on the weight issue, it really makes no difference on speed if the livewell is full or empty, and that's probably 100 lbs or so. The motor never raises the bow out of the water, it just starts trudging through the lake flat.

19. Member
    So... from what I'm reading, which again is kindof tough finding things that fit my situation... my 2016 Merc 20hp Fourstroke says it's WOT rpm range is 5400-6100. I'd have to check this next time I'm on the lake, but I'm fairly confident what I'm currently seeing is on the low end of that, if even to the low end. If I'm understanding pitch correctly, and what I'm looking for is top end speed (obviously not worrying about hole shot on a boat that goes 7mph ), then I should be looking for a 4 blade prop with a higher pitch. I found a prop (Solas Amita 4 10inch 4-blade) that says its "ideal for kicker motors pushing heavier loads", and offers "excellent forward and reverse thrust"...but the pitch on it is an option of 5 or 7, which is backwards from what I think I should be looking for. I'm still researching...but this seems extremely difficult. Unfortunately there is not a Tracker dealer anywhere near me. It would be nice if I had a dealer for help, especially one who may be able to let me experiment with some prop options...but unfortunately that's not an option (that I know of). So...I think I'm going to just have to take my best guess and live with the result (once I determine what that best guess is).

20. Member
    I have a Lowe 1648 with wood decking and a 7hp that will go faster than that it just isnt adding up. Your motor isnt too high just cavitating the prop is it? That would give you high rpms with no speed. The key is getting on plane to get the speed up. A smaller pitch prop and reducing weight is all you can really do the boat might just be too heavy compared to my older 175
    Last edited by Dharr; 05-08-2020 at 07:09 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast