Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    What prop?
    As I just bought the boat new in April, so I have the stock mercury 3 blade that came on it.
    I am saving up to buy a 4 blade ss blade and will keep this one in the boat as a spare for emergencies etc.

I wonder if the folks that can't hit 40 with a 75hp are trimming appropriately??

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCSr View Post
    As I just bought the boat new in April, so I have the stock mercury 3 blade that came on it.
    I am saving up to buy a 4 blade ss blade and will keep this one in the boat as a spare for emergencies etc.

I wonder if the folks that can't hit 40 with a 75hp are trimming appropriately??
    Something is off, unless it was changed out the stock prop is a 17" pitch aluminum Black max. 5100 RPM with a 17" pitch prop, 2.07 gear ratio at 45 MPH calculates out to -13% prop slip which isn't possible. Are you sure you aren't turning a few hundred more RPMs than that?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcutch View Post
    I'd like some advice on my configuration; I'm new to this type of boat.

2019 ProTeam 195 TXW bought a few weeks ago with Mercury 115 Pro XS on the bottom hole. The guy who owned it previously put a QuickSilver SS 24 pitch prop on it. I'm not near the boat, so I'm not sure which model or diameter (I know that is missing some info, but can add it later). It seems a little sluggish out of the hole and I get 43 mph @ 5900 trimmed up with 2 people (320 pounds), 3/4 tank of fuel, empty livewell, and not much gear. Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated. If this configuration is decent, then fine with me; not trying to fly, just want to be sure it's configured so it will provide long-term use without any issues.

Thanks, Paul
    Is your 115 a Command Thrust with the lower gear ratio? I am going to bet that it is because I doubt a boat that large could even get on plane with a 24" pitch prop and the standard 2.07 gear ratio case 115. I know someone on here was getting 50+ MPH with a standard 115 and a 19" pitch Spitfire X7 which is excellent for a 115 on that hull. Sounds like you need about a 22" pitch 4 blade stainless but I am not familiar with what props they offer for that larger gear case.

4. Member
    Thanks for your reply BF444.
    It is definitely the 2.07 gear ratio, at least that’s what’s on the motor. I haven’t actually looked at the stamp on the prop, I’m just going by what the guy told me. I will check it to confirm.

D2CCD8F7-3D13-4EF6-BDEF-F5F8E33F04C7.jpeg

Is your 115 a Command Thrust with the lower gear ratio? I am going to bet that it is because I doubt a boat that large could even get on plane with a 24" pitch prop and the standard 2.07 gear ratio case 115. I know someone on here was getting 50+ MPH with a standard 115 and a 19" pitch Spitfire X7 which is excellent for a 115 on that hull. Sounds like you need about a 22" pitch 4 blade stainless but I am not familiar with what props they offer for that larger gear case.

5. Member
    Something is off, unless it was changed out the stock prop is a 17" pitch aluminum Black max. 5100 RPM with a 17" pitch prop, 2.07 gear ratio at 45 MPH calculates out to -13% prop slip which isn't possible. Are you sure you aren't turning a few hundred more RPMs than that?
    I will be getting on the water Saturday and will look close at RPM gauge and speed using gps as well as the gauge.
    Now i must read up on what prop slip is

6. Member
    Thanks for your reply BF444.
    It is definitely the 2.07 gear ratio, at least that’s what’s on the motor. I haven’t actually looked at the stamp on the prop, I’m just going by what the guy told me. I will check it to confirm.

D2CCD8F7-3D13-4EF6-BDEF-F5F8E33F04C7.jpeg

So I confirmed the prop pitch, it is NOT a 24, it is a 22. Quicksilver Laser II. 48-16992 A40 22P.

If anyone has any other recommendations, I’d like to hear them. As I said in orig post, it seems a bit sluggish form the hole and I would think I should be able to be a bit more top end than 44mph loaded and 2 people. Also it seems a little unsettled at top speed, when only trimmed up a little.

Thanks, Paul
    2019 Tracker PT 195 TXW
    2019 Mercury 115 Pro XS

7. Member
    So I confirmed the prop pitch, it is NOT a 24, it is a 22. Quicksilver Laser II. 48-16992 A40 22P.

If anyone has any other recommendations, I’d like to hear them. As I said in orig post, it seems a bit sluggish form the hole and I would think I should be able to be a bit more top end than 44mph loaded and 2 people. Also it seems a little unsettled at top speed, when only trimmed up a little.

Thanks, Paul
    The 19" spitfire or a 20" pitch laser 2 with cup added are 2 very common props for that combo. If you don't want to pay the price for a Mercury prop Power Tech, Michigan Wheel and Turning Point all make good props for much cheaper.

8. Member
    The 19" spitfire or a 20" pitch laser 2 with cup added are 2 very common props for that combo. If you don't want to pay the price for a Mercury prop Power Tech, Michigan Wheel and Turning Point all make good props for much cheaper.

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. One other question you might be able to assist with — the motor mounted al the way down as far as it can go (bottom hole). Would I get a little better performance wit the current prop if I raise it one hole?
    2019 Tracker PT 195 TXW
    2019 Mercury 115 Pro XS

9. Member
    So I am Picking a 2021 190TXW Tournament Edition next week.
    Do I understand correctly the consensus best set up is.
    Hang the motor on the 3rd hole and put a 19P X7 on it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    So I am Picking a 2021 190TXW Tournament Edition next week.
    Do I understand correctly the consensus best set up is.
    Hang the motor on the 3rd hole and put a 19P X7 on it.
    That seems to be the best setup.

11. Member
    I am also looking at getting a 190TXW Tournament Edition...it is a 2017. Anybody running a jackplate? I will be fishing in shallow waters...Lake Okeechobee, Headwaters/Stick Marsh, The Everglades...and have always run a jackplate for that reason.

12. Member
    I have a 6" Vance jackplate on mine.

13. Member
    I have a 2006 pt 190 with a 90 hp Optimax with a 4 blade split fire 12.5 x 19 (just purchased). Mounted in the 2nd hole. I am getting 39 mph at 5180 rpms. Does anyone know what I can do to get more speed. These readings are a 3/4 full load in boat with 2 people (450 lbs). Shoots out of the hole great and corners great I know I should be able to get at least 44 or 45 mph or so. I bought the boat with a 24 pitch Laser II. That was driving a stock Mack truck thru the swamp bog. I would appreciate any input as funds will allow for the purchase of one more prop (SpitFire x7). Thanks and Tracker Rules.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankbaitking64 View Post
    I have a 2006 pt 190 with a 90 hp Optimax with a 4 blade split fire 12.5 x 19 (just purchased). Mounted in the 2nd hole. I am getting 39 mph at 5180 rpms. Does anyone know what I can do to get more speed. These readings are a 3/4 full load in boat with 2 people (450 lbs). Shoots out of the hole great and corners great I know I should be able to get at least 44 or 45 mph or so. I bought the boat with a 24 pitch Laser II. That was driving a stock Mack truck thru the swamp bog. I would appreciate any input as funds will allow for the purchase of one more prop (SpitFire x7). Thanks and Tracker Rules.
    That's only 3% prop slip which is excellent, I have never seen close to that number in mine. The best I got with my 90 was with a 22" pitch cupped Laser 2 and a 6" Jack plate was 43 MPH, I swapped a 115hp ECM in and took the restrictor ring out of the throttle body and I can hit 45mph with the same setup, and that's turning at 5700-5800 RPM. I don't reccomend buying a Laser 2 new they aren't that good of a prop unless you send them in to a prop shop and have cup added like I did. 45 MPH at 5800 RPM with a 22" pitch prop is still 13% prop slip which isn't great, I think there is more to get out of my setup but I haven't found it yet.

15. Member
    I bought the boat with a 24 p laser II and it was like driving a Mack truck threw a swamp. It was a dog. I put on a 12.5 x 19 spitfire and am getting those numbers that I listed. I was wanting to know what to do to get more speed if possible. Thanks

16. Member
    I have a 2015 PT175txw , 60hp mercury with the stock prop. My top speed with gear and 2 people barely breaks 30 at 5k rpm. Any tips to get on plane faster or improve the top end speed would be much appreciated.

2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL 16' 8" length
    - 2020 1.0L 50 HP Mercury ELPT 4 cyl. 4 stroke converted to 60 HP
    - NGK Iridium spark plugs
    - 15 pitch stainless steel Mercury Vengeance propeller
    - Vance mfg. hydraulic 6" jack plate

- Operational dry weight at time of this writing including gear for fishing, a third battery for 24 volt troller conversion, and a 12 gallon fuel tank conversion fully filled: 1426.97 lbs (call it 1427 lbs)
    - Weight once I'm in it: 1571.97 (call it 1572 lbs)

- Top speed: 43.5 MPH fully trimmed, GPS confirmed (latest speed obtained after driving on choppy waves)
    - RPM: 6000 WOT
    - Holeshot: 4.5-5 seconds
    Last edited by Extremeboating; 05-24-2021 at 03:54 PM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeboating View Post
    2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL 16' 8" length
    - 2020 1.0L 50 HP Mercury ELPT 4 cyl. 4 stroke converted to 60 HP
    - NGK Iridium spark plugs
    - 15 pitch stainless steel Mercury Vengeance propeller

- Operational dry weight at time of this writing including gear for fishing, a third battery for 24 volt troller conversion, and a 12 gallon fuel tank conversion fully filled: 1379.77 (call it 1380 lbs)
    - Weight once I'm in it: 1524.77 (call it 1525 lbs)

- Top speed: 42.5 MPH fully trimmed, GPS confirmed (latest speed obtained after driving on a VERY windy day with heavy whitecaps)
    - RPM: 5875 WOT
    - Holeshot: 5 - 5.5 seconds

This info will change in the coming weeks as I have a 6" jack plate on the way so weight, holeshot time, and top speed should change.
    That’s great out of a 60hp. I definitely need to update my prop at a minimum. Do you remember how you were doing prior to adding that prop?

Quote Originally Posted by FishThe603 View Post
    That’s great out of a 60hp. I definitely need to update my prop at a minimum. Do you remember how you were doing prior to adding that prop?
    I agree, it's impressively fast, and it will be even faster after I get the jack plate installed and dialed in. I estimate 45 MPH Maybe even 46 by the time it's all said and done, and a considerably faster holeshot which is what I'm really after.

I never ran the boat prior to buying it in a 50 HP configuration. I modded it right away when it got home. My estimate of the top speed would be around 35mph going off of what the previous owner told me. Also just based on the documented average top speeds of these Classic XL's with 50's from other owners I would safely estimate that. 36.1 tops.

I would highly recommend using Mercury's prop selector page on their site. It was scary accurate to a T in relation to what final output RPM would be for a given selected prop. I can help you navigate it, or I can help you select one myself with the knowledge I already have given the fact that it will give you multiple options varying between props sized 1 degree of pitch from the other, even when doing stainless. Knowing your boats nominal static weight with and without gear and current output RPM is crucial in the process.
    Last edited by Extremeboating; 05-14-2021 at 12:52 PM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeboating View Post
    I agree, it's impressively fast, and it will be even faster after I get the jack plate installed and dialed in. I estimate 45 MPH Maybe even 46 by the time it's all said and done, and a considerably faster holeshot which is what I'm really after.

I never ran the boat prior to buying it in a 50 HP configuration. I modded it right away when it got home. My estimate of the top speed would be around 35mph going off of what the previous owner told me. Also just based on the documented average top speeds of these Classic XL's with 50's from other owners I would safely estimate that. 36.1 tops.

I would highly recommend using Mercury's prop selector page on their site. It was scary accurate to a T in relation to what final output RPM would be for a given selected prop. I can help you navigate it, or I can help you select one myself with the knowledge I already have given the fact that it will give you multiple options varying between props sized 1 degree of pitch from the other, even when doing stainless. Knowing your boats nominal static weight with and without gear and current output RPM is crucial in the process.
    Any help would be appreciated. Was way too many options and gave me no clue as to what would perform better. I have a 2015 pro Team 175 With a 60 Mercury. I’ll need to look up the weight.
    Last edited by FishThe603; 05-14-2021 at 01:15 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast