Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FishThe603 View Post
    Any help would be appreciated. Was way too many options and gave me no clue as to what would perform better. I have a 2015 pro Team 175 With a 60 Mercury. I’ll need to look up the weight.
    Yeah, no problem! Feel free to PM me or post more info on here when you have the basic info that you need to move forward.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeboating View Post
    Yeah, no problem! Feel free to PM me or post more info on here when you have the basic info that you need to move forward.
    Was a little harder than I thought finding this. Weight is around 2190lbs. With 2 fishermen, batteries, gear add in another 600lbs maybe? I can’t remember it going much over 5000 rpm. It has the factory default prop on right now. And the engine is in the top hole
    Last edited by FishThe603; 05-14-2021 at 09:57 PM.

Was a little harder than I thought finding this. Weight is around 2190lbs. With 2 fishermen, batteries, gear add in another 600lbs maybe? I can’t remember it going much over 5000 rpm. It has the factory default prop on right now. And the engine is in the top hole
    We need to address some things before we move forward with selecting a prop. I just gave advice to another member on here with a low RPM issue and a possible incorrect prop issue.

You are criminally underrevving that engine and can get a whole lot more out of it once set right, but first thing is first.

You need to determine where exactly on that transom the underside of your cavitation plate rides. Trim your motor to the point where the plate sits parallel to the ground. This will duplicate water line (in other words the top of the water). If you need help finding true parallel take a level to the plate until the bubble is dead center. From there, grab a straight edge and see where it sits on that transom or eyeball it if you are really good. If you are .5- 1" above the very bottom of the transom you are good to go on proper engine height. If you are not then before anything, you will need to jack your engine up a hole and recheck your engine to transom heights.

Example: mine came set up perfectly from the factory with the engine sitting on the second hole from the top. Video of the cav plate skimming the surface confirms this, however, I have a Classic XL and you have a 175 so you may be rocking the Revolution Hull where s mine is not, each hull model is different in that respect. It's possible yours may be dragging below the water and creating unnecessary drag thereby decreasing RPM and causing a loss of top speed.

If this is all redundant, that's great and we can move on to the propeller itself. At 2790 lbs (call it 2800) the OE 10.3 x 14 pitch propeller is criminally overpitched for your situation and causing you some nasty under revving. Your sweet spot is going to rest between 5500-6000 RPM and it would be preferable to get you into the middle to the slight upper range of that limit and that's where your true power will kick in. 5700-5875 RPM is where we want to put you. Depending on if you want to go stainless or stay aluminum will dictate exactly how much we need to step you down. Stainless will require a more aggressive step down than an aluminum and will be more expensive but will produce better top speed numbers for sure.

As I mentioned to the other member, take this in steps to save you money and time. There is no sense in wasting either to get you something which will either not produce results or put you in a worse position that you are currently in. Your boat could definitely use a solid RPM pick up regardless of what will be needed to be done here.

4. Member
    We need to address some things before we move forward with selecting a prop. I just gave advice to another member on here with a low RPM issue and a possible incorrect prop issue.

You are criminally underrevving that engine and can get a whole lot more out of it once set right, but first thing is first.

You need to determine where exactly on that transom the underside of your cavitation plate rides. Trim your motor to the point where the plate sits parallel to the ground. This will duplicate water line (in other words the top of the water). If you need help finding true parallel take a level to the plate until the bubble is dead center. From there, grab a straight edge and see where it sits on that transom or eyeball it if you are really good. If you are .5- 1" above the very bottom of the transom you are good to go on proper engine height. If you are not then before anything, you will need to jack your engine up a hole and recheck your engine to transom heights.

Example: mine came set up perfectly from the factory with the engine sitting on the second hole from the top. Video of the cav plate skimming the surface confirms this, however, I have a Classic XL and you have a 175 so you may be rocking the Revolution Hull where s mine is not, each hull model is different in that respect. It's possible yours may be dragging below the water and creating unnecessary drag thereby decreasing RPM and causing a loss of top speed.

If this is all redundant, that's great and we can move on to the propeller itself. At 2790 lbs (call it 2800) the OE 10.3 x 14 pitch propeller is criminally overpitched for your situation and causing you some nasty under revving. Your sweet spot is going to rest between 5500-6000 RPM and it would be preferable to get you into the middle to the slight upper range of that limit and that's where your true power will kick in. 5700-5875 RPM is where we want to put you. Depending on if you want to go stainless or stay aluminum will dictate exactly how much we need to step you down. Stainless will require a more aggressive step down than an aluminum and will be more expensive but will produce better top speed numbers for sure.

As I mentioned to the other member, take this in steps to save you money and time. There is no sense in wasting either to get you something which will either not produce results or put you in a worse position that you are currently in. Your boat could definitely use a solid RPM pick up regardless of what will be needed to be done here.
    Thanks for all this, it’s going to be a process lol. Plate is roughly at the very bottom the bottom of the hull +/- 1/4”. Is it worth raising it a couple holes to get it the 1” above ? I will be out on the water today and carefully watch the RPMs. Definitely the revolution hull. Lower unit is labeled 12x22 1.83:1 prop is 10 3/8 x 14 pitch if that helps with anything.
    Last edited by FishThe603; 05-15-2021 at 06:28 AM.

Thanks for all this, it’s going to be a process lol. Plate is roughly at the very bottom the bottom of the hull +/- 1/4”. Is it worth raising it a couple holes to get it the 1” above ? I will be out on the water today and carefully watch the RPMs. Definitely the revolution hull. Lower unit is labeled 12x22 1.83:1 prop is 10 3/8 x 14 pitch if that helps with anything.
    You may benefit from raising it a hole then. As that would give you that extra half inch to inch of clearance you need to really make that plate skim the water surface. Would it be possible to shoot me over a picture of your units plate in relation to the bottom of the transom?

Be aware that by doing this that it will be much easier to aerate the prop, be mindful of that when you are planing and slowing down. So you will have to be more on the ball when trimming at speed, slowing down at speed. You may hear the prop making noise as it's getting out of the water.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

6. Member
    You may benefit from raising it a hole then. As that would give you that extra half inch to inch of clearance you need to really make that plate skim the water surface. Would it be possible to shoot me over a picture of your units plate in relation to the bottom of the transom?

Be aware that by doing this that it will be much easier to aerate the prop, be mindful of that when you are planing and slowing down. So you will have to be more on the ball when trimming at speed, slowing down at speed. You may hear the prop making noise as it's getting out of the water.
    Soon as I get back to my house I’ll post some pics. Even alone in the boat it never went above 5k rpm.

Soon as I get back to my house I’ll post some pics. Even alone in the boat it never went above 5k rpm.
    Yeah that definitely isn't normal. Do me a favor and private message me when you're ready so we don't muddy up this thread with talk outside of the specific "setups and top speeds."
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

8. Member
    So I have a 2017 PT 190 Tracker with a 2017 Mercury 115 hp 4 stroke mounted through the first hole (top hole) that had an Mercury Black Max aluminum 13.5 X 23P prop on it. Well I hit a submerged log and broke an inch off the tip of one of the three blades. Normally I could run about 5900 rpm at 44 mph. I think that calculates to about 30% slippage, not good right? Understand, I never paid much attention to the boat set up until this happened.

So, I took my prop to the prop shop to get this one repaired and buy a new prop as this repair was going to be two to three weeks as I was around 100 on the repair list. So he sold me a new, out of the box Laser II 13.5 X24P SS prop. I was told I would only lose a couple hundred RPM but should be fine. As it turns out I max out at about 5000 RPM and about 42 mph. I may have been able to trim a little more but it was getting a little squirrelly in my opinion.

Everyone with this same boat seems to running around 21P and motor sitting on the third hole. Does this sound about right? I know I may be a little heavy with me, 270 lbs, 3 batteries, and an 8 foot Talon on as well. So my questions are, and please understand I’m just trying to learn here:

• Is that prop even have a chance of working right for me or should I be looking at coming down on pitch?
    • What does raising motor up to third hole do for me?
    • Pitch go down if I go with 4 blade?
    • Did I calculate slippage?
    • The prop guy didn’t have a 23P but he may have a 21 or 22, which should I try trade up to?

I’ll leave it there and I appreciate all your suggestions and advice.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruddahMidds View Post
    So I have a 2017 PT 190 Tracker with a 2017 Mercury 115 hp 4 stroke mounted through the first hole (top hole) that had an Mercury Black Max aluminum 13.5 X 23P prop on it. Well I hit a submerged log and broke an inch off the tip of one of the three blades. Normally I could run about 5900 rpm at 44 mph. I think that calculates to about 30% slippage, not good right? Understand, I never paid much attention to the boat set up until this happened.

So, I took my prop to the prop shop to get this one repaired and buy a new prop as this repair was going to be two to three weeks as I was around 100 on the repair list. So he sold me a new, out of the box Laser II 13.5 X24P SS prop. I was told I would only lose a couple hundred RPM but should be fine. As it turns out I max out at about 5000 RPM and about 42 mph. I may have been able to trim a little more but it was getting a little squirrelly in my opinion.

Everyone with this same boat seems to running around 21P and motor sitting on the third hole. Does this sound about right? I know I may be a little heavy with me, 270 lbs, 3 batteries, and an 8 foot Talon on as well. So my questions are, and please understand I’m just trying to learn here:

• Is that prop even have a chance of working right for me or should I be looking at coming down on pitch?
    • The prop guy didn’t have a 23P but he may have a 21 or 22, which should I try trade up to?

I would try a 21" pitch stainless 3 blade, and if it is a laser 2 it will need some cup added to it to work right.

Quote Originally Posted by BruddahMidds View Post

There are two things you need to get your setup dialed in really nice.

https://goodcalculators.com/boat-prop-calculator/

And

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...or/#!/step-one

I highly recommend using both and you'll get the results you are looking for.

However, with saying that, based on the numbers you have provided and using the specs off of your motor I came up with a 29% slippage at your prop, which is really sloppy. It can be cleaned up substantially for sure. As for speed and RPM you can definitely clean that stuff up a bit more, as your max RPM according to Merc is 6000 RPM assuming you have the ProXS model.

I tried plugging in your information on the Merc site and I can't even get a proper read out because your speed is below what it should be for your model. However, a 19' Tracker with a 115 is a bit low in the spectrum for engine power.. so you will have to play with the site yourself. Personally, you would probably be well off with a 21 pitch stainless as previously mentioned. That will keep you right at or drop your RPM slightly below what you are at and should clean up the squirrelly-ness you are talking about as well as get rid a lot of that slip.

I am going to assume some of that slip is due to the fact that you are getting squirrelly which doesn't help your case in slippage when you can't get up to the proper speed the engine is capable of.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Extremeboating; 07-23-2021 at 01:11 AM.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

11. Member
    2019 190tx
    2019 mercury 115 4stroke non XS
    2850 q
    wot. Per past threads wrong prop wrong set up. Will update once
    I get the oval wobble worked out.

2016 PT190tx
    2016 Mercury 115
    Solas 19p 4 blade
    2.07 gearcase
    52.5 mph gps
    6100 rpm wot
    Motor mounted on 1st hole.
    3/4 full on gas, riding solo.
    Very stable and still easy to handle.

Think I’m where i need to be. What do yall think?

13. Member
    2019 Tracker 195 txw tournament edition
    2019 150hp Mercury 4s
    24p tempest prop that came with boat from the dealer
    Engine RPM WOT is 5000
    46mph
    This speed is with 2 guys in the boat and loaded with gear, at half a tank of gas.
    No jackplate, and not sure what hole the motor is mounted on.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhiebsch View Post
    2019 Tracker 195 txw tournament edition
    2019 150hp Mercury 4s
    24p tempest prop that came with boat from the dealer
    Engine RPM WOT is 5000
    46mph
    This speed is with 2 guys in the boat and loaded with gear, at half a tank of gas.
    No jackplate, and not sure what hole the motor is mounted on.
    That's terrible, speed and RPMs are way to low, are you trimming up like you should? You may have to drop to a 23" pitch Tempest.

15. Member
    I'm not into speed boating, but I'll post my probably slowest boat in the thread specs.

2022 Tracker Classic XL. 50 hp Merc. Everything is the way it came from the dealer.

I thought the top speed was 34 MPH. Boat loaded with my normal tackle, 6 gallons of gas, and me, on smooth water. This was at 5400 rpm.

Then, I read that trimming up the engine after getting on plane would increase top speed. So, same, 6 gallons of gas, me, tackle, ect ect. top speed 39 mph at 5900 rpm. I suppose a jack plate would work the same way. I can trim up to a point, then the speed goes down. If I leave it trimmed to the top speed position it's a slug when taking off. It amazes me that a little tilt on the engine get's 5 more mph.

I don't care how fast my boat goes, so I don't normally mess with the trim. I normally "drive" at ~3/4 throttle, at something like 27 mph, 4500ish rpm.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody b View Post
    I'm not into speed boating, but I'll post my probably slowest boat in the thread specs.

2022 Tracker Classic XL. 50 hp Merc. Everything is the way it came from the dealer.

I thought the top speed was 34 MPH. Boat loaded with my normal tackle, 6 gallons of gas, and me, on smooth water. This was at 5400 rpm.

Then, I read that trimming up the engine after getting on plane would increase top speed. So, same, 6 gallons of gas, me, tackle, ect ect. top speed 39 mph at 5900 rpm. I suppose a jack plate would work the same way. I can trim up to a point, then the speed goes down. If I leave it trimmed to the top speed position it's a slug when taking off. It amazes me that a little tilt on the engine get's 5 more mph.

I don't care how fast my boat goes, so I don't normally mess with the trim. I normally "drive" at ~3/4 throttle, at something like 27 mph, 4500ish rpm.
    If that is your true GPS speed that is great for a 50 hp motor. Yes standard operation is to trim all the way down to get the boat up on plane then trim up once it is on plane, if you keep it trimmed all the way down you are plowing water and loosing speed and efficiency, trimming up gets your hull up out of the water more, which means less drag and more speed.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    If that is your true GPS speed that is great for a 50 hp motor. Yes standard operation is to trim all the way down to get the boat up on plane then trim up once it is on plane, if you keep it trimmed all the way down you are plowing water and loosing speed and efficiency, trimming up gets your hull up out of the water more, which means less drag and more speed.
    I think that's GPS speed. The speed on my vessel view mobile reads 39mph, the speed on my Lowrance Elite Ti2 reads 38.5mph. The lake was smooth as glass and it was 24 degrees. Cold air increases horsepower in race cars. I suppose it does the same for boats. I've never had power trim before this boat.

I think that's GPS speed. The speed on my vessel view mobile reads 39mph, the speed on my Lowrance Elite Ti2 reads 38.5mph. The lake was smooth as glass and it was 24 degrees. Cold air increases horsepower in race cars. I suppose it does the same for boats. I've never had power trim before this boat.
    Mercury Vesselview most likely rounds up to the closest number similar to GoPros, and the Lowrance Elite was giving you the true speed. That's pretty darn good for a 50 HP. These Classics are so underrated as far as their capabilities are concerned.

Was that with a stainless prop or is the engine all stock?
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

19. Member
    It's not stainless. It's the prop that came on the boat. Does Tracker choose the prop or does the dealer? Just curious.

It's not stainless. It's the prop that came on the boat. Does Tracker choose the prop or does the dealer? Just curious.
    I couldn't tell you actually. I didn't buy mine brand new and so I never had to deal with the dealer. They do tend to prop it on the hot side which is not a bad thing in our case. If I was to take a guess I would say it comes propped straight from the factory.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast