Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    no, I'm sure my motors not too high. I sometimes wonder if it's too low, but don't know how to determine that. I'm anxious to get to the lake again so I can check the possibility of the spun prop... and either way I'll try a new prop. If its spun, I'll get that fixed plus the benefit of a better (hopefully) prop.
    So you think I would use a lower pitch prop, not a higher pitch?

2. Member
    Higher pitch lower rpm more speed. Lower pitch higher rpm less speed. You have to be on plane to benefit from anything. Lower pitch will spim faster rpms hopefully getting you closer to planing. For instance my boat with a 19p aluminum went 42mph at 6300rpms a 21p aluminumum prop went 43 at 6100rpms. A stainless 19p goes 47 mph at 6300rpms.

3. Member
    Hey Dharr,
    I'm about to ask a really dumb question.... so are you saying that a 21 pitch is a lower pitch than a 19 pitch? So the pitch is inverse to number? The higher the number, the lower the pitch?

So the manual for my 2016 merc Fourstroke 20hp says that the WOT rpm range of my engine is 5400-6100. I took it out to the lake yesterday and found the following:
    1. I don't believe my prop is spun, but I'm not completely sure. I marked the hub and prop, and the lines did move from each other, but only minimally...maybe 1/8". I'm assuming that's within normal range...but it is movement. Then again, it could have spun 3000 times and just landed really, really, really close to it's starting point. My guess is on the former...but I'll monitor again next time out.
    2. My RPM's are lower than I was guessing. The lake was quiet and calm yesterday...so on a smooth day with minimal wind I was at:
    5.35mph at 2800rpm
    6.9mph at 4200rpm
    8.05mph at 4600rpm, WOT
    Everything I'm reading is pointing me towards a 4-blade prop. I've been looking at a 4 blade 9.25" 5 pitch or 7 pitch
    Are you saying I should be looking at a higher # (lower pitch?) than my current 10p, like a 15-20p?
    I know that going to a 4-blade will supposedly lower my rpm, but get me to speed faster. I'm wondering if prop Diameter should be changed to counter affect the loss of RPM (smaller prop) or to increase surface area (larger prop).
    The Solas website says in switching to a 4-blade prop, if my rpms are good to stay with the same pitch (which seems counter intuitive to me...doesn't necessarily say it won't lower my RPMs, just says to keep the same pitch). My RPM'S are definitely low, and the four blade will lower it even more (I think).

Do you have any insight into how I should interpret all of the above?

Thanks!

4. Member
    Im saying exactly opposite..19 is smaller ...lower...than 21 but is spins faster giving you more rpms. You might try a mercury spitfire if they have a pitch small available I thought they made an 8. ...if you can gey on plane my guess is you'll be over rpms at full throttle but atleast youll be on plane gaining more speed than you have now until you get to the rev limiter.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dharr View Post
    Im saying exactly opposite..19 is smaller ...lower...than 21 but is spins faster giving you more rpms. You might try a mercury spitfire if they have a pitch small available I thought they made an 8. ...if you can gey on plane my guess is you'll be over rpms at full throttle but atleast youll be on plane gaining more speed than you have now until you get to the rev limiter.
    If I'm topping out at 4600 now, and the max is 6100... would it make that big of an RPM difference to go to 4 blade and from a 10p to a 7 or 5p? I'll try that and see. How about diameter? Do I stay at the 9" (or 9.25, whatever it is), or should I switch to a bigger diameter for more surface area, or a smaller diameter for more rpms (assuming that's how it works).

I looked at the spitfires... but I didn't see them going as low in pitch as the 4 blade Solas Amitas. I'll check again... the Solas goes to 5 (also has a 7). The lowest Spitfire I saw was a 9 or 10 I think...but I'll do a better search.

Thanks again for the help. Really appreciate all the insight.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarsPA View Post
    Hey Dharr,
    I'm about to ask a really dumb question.... so are you saying that a 21 pitch is a lower pitch than a 19 pitch? So the pitch is inverse to number? The higher the number, the lower the pitch?

So the manual for my 2016 merc Fourstroke 20hp says that the WOT rpm range of my engine is 5400-6100. I took it out to the lake yesterday and found the following:
    1. I don't believe my prop is spun, but I'm not completely sure. I marked the hub and prop, and the lines did move from each other, but only minimally...maybe 1/8". I'm assuming that's within normal range...but it is movement. Then again, it could have spun 3000 times and just landed really, really, really close to it's starting point. My guess is on the former...but I'll monitor again next time out.
    2. My RPM's are lower than I was guessing. The lake was quiet and calm yesterday...so on a smooth day with minimal wind I was at:
    5.35mph at 2800rpm
    6.9mph at 4200rpm
    8.05mph at 4600rpm, WOT
    Everything I'm reading is pointing me towards a 4-blade prop. I've been looking at a 4 blade 9.25" 5 pitch or 7 pitch
    Are you saying I should be looking at a higher # (lower pitch?) than my current 10p, like a 15-20p?
    I know that going to a 4-blade will supposedly lower my rpm, but get me to speed faster. I'm wondering if prop Diameter should be changed to counter affect the loss of RPM (smaller prop) or to increase surface area (larger prop).
    The Solas website says in switching to a 4-blade prop, if my rpms are good to stay with the same pitch (which seems counter intuitive to me...doesn't necessarily say it won't lower my RPMs, just says to keep the same pitch). My RPM'S are definitely low, and the four blade will lower it even more (I think).

Do you have any insight into how I should interpret all of the above?

Thanks!
    Hey Dharr… hoping to get your thoughts one more time. Here's my update:
    I bought a Solas 4 blade 8.75" 7P prop, and it was not successful, but there was MAJOR change. I went from 4600 RPM to around 7000 RPM WOT (engine is rated for 5400-6100). I felt what I assume was prop slip (does that mean the hub spun?) in the higher RPMs....it felt like it was "chunking" for lack of a better descriptions. My speed stayed the same, around 7.4 mph.

I'm assuming going from the 9" to the 8.75" with lower pitch (with visibly smaller prop blades / lower per blade surface area) increased my RPMs. I had read that I'd lose 4-500 going to 4 blade, but I assume the smaller blade size was the difference.

I'm wondering if I should stay to the 7P 4 blade and go to a 10" Solas instead of the 8.75" to slow the RPM and increase surface area of the prop.

Any thoughts?

7. Member
    I woulda stayed with the same diameter as your other props and just changed pitch...it may be your boat is just much heavier than my 90s 175 was and it just wont plane for you. I guess you could make sure your trim is working properly and trimming down all the way...or experiment with motor height....but t g ate a whole other ball game that might not make any difference.

8. Member
    I have a Pro Team 190 Tournament Edition and I just picked up an X7 19 pitch prop. Huge improvement over the 21 pitch BlackMax. It's mounted in the first hole, but I still got it up to 51mph GPS @ 6000 RPM

9. Member
    I just swapped my stock prop on my PT 190 for the X7 19 pitch on Friday. The motor only has about 30 minutes of run time but full loaded yesterday with a full live well I was able to hit 45.6 with a brief wide open run. The river I was in only had one long stretch. I was hitting about 5300 to 5400 rpm so it still has more to go. I will be moving to motor up hopefully this week. I am hoping to see the low 50's soon.

Update! i was able to move my motor up last week to the 3 rd hole and got to run it on Sunday. I had 3 people on board and was hitting 49.7 but ran out of lake. I think with some more room and a little more trim she still has a little more to go.
    Last edited by bbritt18; 07-15-2020 at 09:29 AM.

10. Member
    I just purchased 2020 Tracker 190TX with the 115 ProXS and have been reading this thread and those wjo have gone to the X7 19p prop. My question is when you moved the motor to the third hole does it now have a small gap between transom and mount due to the cap? I know if I moved mine up the top of the mount would sit on the cap. Also, any of you have a very small gap between the transom and cap? My boat does, will upload a we pic. AD63F340-0C5E-4DA8-A490-90FB963614E9.jpeg
    2020 Tracker 190TX
    115 ProXS 4 stroke

11. Member
    Just bought a 2021 190 with a 115 pro xs with the stock 21 pitch prop and I am seeing on here that a x7 spitfire 19 pitch prop will get me a better top end speed how is that possible with a lower pitch prop? Also how would it effect my fuel economy?

12. Member
    It allows the motor to turn higher rpms closer to the 6300 rpm limit of the motor.
    2020 Tracker PT 190
    Mercury Pro XS 115
    X7 Spitfire prop

13. Member
    Able to get 6300 with stock prop 43 on GPS just me and 1/8th of a tank. I am just trying to make sure that a 550 dollar prop is worth it thanks.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 166262 View Post
    Able to get 6300 with stock prop 43 on GPS just me and 1/8th of a tank. I am just trying to make sure that a 550 dollar prop is worth it thanks.
    That's 29% prop slip which is absolutely terrible. What hole is you motor mounted in?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 166262 View Post
    I am getting 48-49 mph with 2 people, full tank, and loaded for fishing with the Spitfire and the motor in the 3rd hole. I have not had a chance to run with a lighter load yet but I am sure I can get low 50's. Hole shot improved greatly and handing is unbelievable.
    2020 Tracker PT 190
    Mercury Pro XS 115
    X7 Spitfire prop

16. Member
    2020 Stock PT 175TXW w/ 75HP: on water with full tank, with just myself (215lbs)and gear (who knows weight.. but I have a lot) I can hit 44-45MPH at about 5100rpm

With my 6'4 260lb fishing buddy I average about 40mph top end

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCSr View Post
    2020 Stock PT 175TXW w/ 75HP: on water with full tank, with just myself (215lbs)and gear (who knows weight.. but I have a lot) I can hit 44-45MPH at about 5100rpm

With my 6'4 260lb fishing buddy I average about 40mph top end
    Is that GPS speed?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Is that GPS speed?
    Yes on GPS which is generally lower than what my speedometer says.. probably due to me needing to clean out that little hole on the lower unit that the water goes in for the speedometer to work
    Those speeds are generally with low winds (0-10mph) and smooth/semi smooth water/tides.

Im going out Saturday morning, will record - but 40-45 is my max so far and plenty fast for me and what I do =)

19. Member
    I'd like some advice on my configuration; I'm new to this type of boat.

2019 ProTeam 195 TXW bought a few weeks ago with Mercury 115 Pro XS on the bottom hole. The guy who owned it previously put a QuickSilver SS 24 pitch prop on it. I'm not near the boat, so I'm not sure which model or diameter (I know that is missing some info, but can add it later). It seems a little sluggish out of the hole and I get 43 mph @ 5900 trimmed up with 2 people (320 pounds), 3/4 tank of fuel, empty livewell, and not much gear. Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated. If this configuration is decent, then fine with me; not trying to fly, just want to be sure it's configured so it will provide long-term use without any issues.

Thanks, Paul

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCSr View Post
    Yes on GPS which is generally lower than what my speedometer says.. probably due to me needing to clean out that little hole on the lower unit that the water goes in for the speedometer to work
    Those speeds are generally with low winds (0-10mph) and smooth/semi smooth water/tides.

Im going out Saturday morning, will record - but 40-45 is my max so far and plenty fast for me and what I do =)
    What prop?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast