Thread: Trailer is done

Trailer is done

2000 201 DC and the EZ Loader trailer made it's last trip to the lake and back. Has anyone replaced their trailer and did you go through a dealership, or did you have one built. Not really wanting to get a used one, probably have the same rust growing from the inside out and by the time you see it, it is too late.

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Chris, I believe that EZ Loader only sells through dealers. Also think they will build you an aluminum one, if you want. I know they will build a channel trailer. McClain Trailers in Houston is who Pat Goff recommends for aluminum, but I don't like what I see on their site. I'm sure they would probably build a custom and you may not have to go through a dealer.

3. Member
    Chris, could you please keep us posted on what you find out about replacement trailers? Mine has already had to be repaired at the tongue and is showing rust in other areas. Not sure how much life it has left.
    I imagine many us with the EZ Loader tube trailers are in the same shape by now. I, and I'm sure others, would be interested in replacement trailer prices & specs. I sure don't want to buy another tube trailer.
    AlanW
    2000 Viper Coral 191
    Mercury 200 EFI
    12" Slidemaster
    25" Tempest Plus

Probably get a new one built out of C channel locally. They should be able to use my axles, fenders and coupler which will save in the cost. I will let you know how it all works out. I don't really feel like giving EZ Loader or their dealership $6K to replace something they should have built with better materials in the first place.

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Keep me posted on your trailer project. Mine hasn't given any problems yet, but will eventually.

Called Richard Adkinson, he is about 8-10 weeks out with the work he has lined up. May take the boat off the trailer, do some weld patches on the inner frame and underneath to get me by, then if he is slow in the winter have him build one for me. May check with Wilson trailers to see what materials they use, have heard good and not quite so good about their work.

7. Banned
    here is a link. I bought a trailer fro Buds a few years back and never had ant troubles until so dude ran into my boat.
    They have both single and tandem trailers...

http://www.budsmotorsports.com/boat-trailers---single

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Think Dave Travis had Wilson add a 2nd axle to a trailer he had years back. At the time it looked like a really nice job. Think that is when they were building trailers for Tige.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx 201 View Post
    Called Richard Adkinson, he is about 8-10 weeks out with the work he has lined up. May take the boat off the trailer, do some weld patches on the inner frame and underneath to get me by, then if he is slow in the winter have him build one for me. May check with Wilson trailers to see what materials they use, have heard good and not quite so good about their work.
    It's quite a ride, but Sporttrail in Bay St. Louis, MS builds some nice aluminum trailers. They build most of the trailers for Contender and have built a bunch for Bass boats around the area. Pricing for an Aluminum trailer is pretty competitive too. Kevin and his team build some nice stuff. Check Sport Trail LLC on facebook
    2006 Stratos 200 Pro XL

Update: Took it to a local trailer sales and repair shop, they said no problem and then two weeks later they said they didn't want to do it and wanted to try to sell me a new trailer. I ended up checking on prices of 4x2 tube for a 24' piece and was going to tackle the job myself with a neighbor, he has welding experience. Could not get the supplier to custom bend the tube, so called a friend that manages a local salvage yard, figured he would know someone that would be able to bend the tube. Turns out he has a welder that works for him and took the trailer to him to look at. He cut out the entire port side rail and replaced with new 4x2 tube. Everything looks good and all I have to do it paint it. I have already put down primer coat of rust preventative, will paint the rail black when the weather is better and may even pin stripe it like original. Total cost from the welder including materials was $600. I am very happy with the work and the cost! Took a while to get it all sorted out, but was worth the money saved!

11. Member
    That's great. Were they able to do the work with the boat on the trailer?
    If so, I hope they protected the boat-those welding sparks that they thing don't hurt anything melt little bitty divots in the gelcoat, as I found out.
    AlanW
    2000 Viper Coral 191
    Mercury 200 EFI
    12" Slidemaster
    25" Tempest Plus

Neighbor just bought a skid loader a few months back and he has forks for it, so we lifted the back end and I drove out from under it a little, set the back end on tires on each corner and the lifted the front end and pulled the trailer the rest of the way out. Reversed the process after the trailer was done. Had some minor work on the trailer before, no pitting but faded the gel coat around the patch so I wasn’t going to do that again