Cherokee Lake reports?

Might be heading out to Cherokee this coming weekend. I've never been there or fished in TN for that matter. Any helpful info on the brown or green ones?

Thanks in advance,
    Kyle
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

2. Member
    I am headed to Cherokee today after work gna start fishing tomorrow. Ive never fished cherokee. Im from Indiana so i will be paying close attention to this post for my own trip if thats ok. Come on guys help us out...lol
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

3. Member
    Your best bet right now is to fish at night 10-30’ deep around all the islands and associated flats.

4. Member
    Around islands 10ft- 30ft deep using what? Dropshot or C-rig or what? Thanks
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

5. Member
    Ill be staying 200yrds from the ramp at the dam so any help in the area would be great. Got islands at nite...check.
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

6. Member
    Texas rig worm or crankbaits.

7. Member
    Me and my Buddy won a club tournament a couple of weeks ago. We caught all of our keepers before dark setting in 40 to 50 feet of water throwing into 15 to 20 feet and working it to the boat on deep points and humps. Don't be afraid to try a big flutter spoon and big worms on a 3/4 oz. football head. You might get surprised.

8. Member
    Thanks for the info, I was thinking small swimbaits, drop shot, hair jigs and damiki rigs for the brown fish, I guess they like big baits too, unless you are talking about targeting largies.

I will be fishing Cherokee Saturday and may check out Douglas Sunday if Cherokee doesn't go well.
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

9. Member
    Magfluker it sounds as though we have the same plan. I am from Indiana and im staying at the cherokee dam but also thought about heading down to Douglas for a day. Im staying today thru Tuesday. So hopefully ill figure something out in that time. Ive been told this year spinnerbaits around the islands at cherokee at night can produce. So i will try it before saturday and report back to you. Good luck sir...
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

10. Member
    You guys let us know how you do and good fishing to both of you!

11. Member
    The fish we caught were green fish with the exception of one 17 1/2" smallie that didn't measure. It sucks big having to throw back a 3 lber. because it's 1/2" short. Good luck on your trip and let us know how it went.

12. Member
    Cherokee: Missed the morning bite on Saturday, got on the water at 10, caught some Spots off main lake points with football jigs, graphed fish around the islands and tons of bait but couldn't get anything to take. Most fish I saw were in about 28-30 foot of water. Had some luck working a mud line by mile marker 1 off a point in 25 foot of water. It was hot out there and so was the water, saw water from 84-86 degrees in the morning.

Went to Douglas and zeroed, I had bites and fish following baits back to the boat but no takers.

I liked Cherokee and should have gone back on Sunday but oh well. I would like to fish it in the spring, it must be a very different lake.
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

13. Member
    Well back home in Indiana. We caught some fish but nothing exceptional. My boy caught a LM on 3rd cast of us ever being on the lake on a big laydown straight across from the dam ramp. But i caught 3 to 5 fish each time i went out. All junk fishing. Never pinned down what id call a pattern. But i will say i did catch a few on different days fishing laydowns with spinnerbait. But im way more a shallow water guy. Havent mastered the off shore stuff. Dont have great electronics yet either. Did catch a good 3+lb smallmouth last night at dark on SK 1.5 squarebill in Chart. Perch color around some bushes that look like they just grew up out of middle of the lake. But i would definately like to return in spring and also like to try Douglas. Does anyone know why there isnt a size limit on largemouth at Douglas right now?
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

14. Member
    Because their's so many little ones. I fished a night tournament one time and caught over 125 fish and only had one keeper over 12" . A lot of times you'll get what they call the Douglas limit - 5 fish for 5 lbs.

15. Member
    Douglas is the dead sea for me. I struggle there to catch fish more than Cherokee.

16. Member
    That makes me feel better about Douglas
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

17. Member
    I can catch a few there in spring before they raise the water. In summer I can only catch a few at night on Douglas.