Thread: Which Bible....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    That song was the last hymn at my father's funeral. Two decades ago and it seems like yesterday. Fortunately, we have the God of the living. (Ex 3:6)

2. Member
    Totally unrelated but this guides everyday life:

1. The life of a Christian is one of daily repentance.

2. "These are the ones I will look on with esteem*: those who are humble and contrite in spirit, and who tremble at my word." Is 66:2

*look on with favor

3. Banned
    [QUOTE=sdbrison;9572526]Is there a good reason to do so? There are enough competent translations available.

Then why is there a discussion to which variant to use? (see above)

TJ mentioned the Greek, hence My answering in Greek.

* So the mechanics of this particular forum is: "To increasin' Our Chris†ian Faith..."

No Worries, I'll certainly dismiss MySelf..

Good Luck in Your travels...

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Μου άρεσε και τα Γνωστικά Ευαγγέλια. Μπορούν να ανοίξουν ένα νέο παράθυρο στη γνώση.
    Η αλήθεια. Ωστόσο, αυτό το φόρουμ isn't για γνώση,'s για τον Χριστιανισμό. Τυχόν απόκλιση από την επίσημη εκκλησία δόγμα isn't επιτρέπεται.

* So the mechanics of this particular forum is: "To increasin' Our Chris†ian Faith..."

No Worries, I'll certainly dismiss MySelf..

Good Luck in Your travels...
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Η αλήθεια. Ωστόσο, αυτό το φόρουμ isn't για γνώση,'s για τον Χριστιανισμό. Τυχόν απόκλιση από την επίσημη εκκλησία δόγμα isn't επιτρέπεται.
    Y'all think asking a question of people in the conversation equates to not seeking truth? Apologies if I overstepped, please forgive me. The question was actually trying to find out what your views on the truth is. I have no problems hearing peoples thoughts whether they align with mine or not, it challenges me to look closely at my beliefs. Again, sorry for the offense.

Επεξεργασία για να προσθέσετε: Έβαλα αυτό στα ελληνικά για να αρχίσετε να χρησιμοποιείτε το Google μεταφράζω, όταν το μεταφράσα πίσω μου έκανε να γελάσω
    Last edited by sdbrison; 08-10-2018 at 11:14 AM.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

6. Banned
    Η αλήθεια δεν χρειάζεται κανένα βιβλίο, κανένα δόγμα, κανένα δόγμα, καμία ιεραρχία. Η αλήθεια στέκεται με τη δική της, τα υπόλοιπα απλά πιέζουν να ανταγωνίζονται με την Αλήθεια και αυτό είναι ψεύδος.

Η αλήθεια δεν χρειάζεται κανένα βιβλίο, κανένα δόγμα, κανένα δόγμα, καμία ιεραρχία. Η αλήθεια στέκεται με τη δική της, τα υπόλοιπα απλά πιέζουν να ανταγωνίζονται με την Αλήθεια και αυτό είναι ψεύδος.

Η αλήθεια δεν χρειάζεται κανένα βιβλίο ... αλλά τα βιβλία μου βοηθούν να βρίσκω αλήθεια

I actually bought this book based on a recommendation from someone on these boards. Do you remember who? It still hasn't made it to the top of my "to read" stack yet but it will.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    T Jim, what are your beliefs?
    I believe that love and compassion should guide our individual lives. And that there's no need for any religion to practice them daily.
    Without love and compassion, humanity can't survive. There's no need for churches or a complicated philosophy, just simple kindness.

I believe that love and compassion should guide our individual lives. And that there's no need for any religion to practice them daily.
    Without love and compassion, humanity can't survive. There's no need for churches or a complicated philosophy, just simple kindness.
    Agree love and compassion is key, that is the greatest commandment in a nutshell in pretty much all world religions. MY problem is MY selfishness, pride, jealousy, unkindness, etc. etc. leaves me guilty and wanting. I need a Savior for MY sickness, I could not have any peace otherwise.
    Thanks for your thoughts Jim.

10. Member
    SD, I highly recommend the book : Jesus : Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millennium
    Bart D. Ehrman

11. Member
    Another great one is : I think you might be a able to find one of his lectures on YouTube but the book is
    The Temple and the Church's Mission: A Biblical Theology of the Dwelling Place of God (New Studies in Biblical Theology) G.K. Beale

12. Member
    LOL tampa……………………...that was pretty good. What are your views on "Christianity" ? thanks

13. Member
    SD................................Have you ever looked into Universalism ? MS.....................dont chastize me just yet :) Im not saying I believe in Universalism.....................Remember post #6 :)

14. Member

15. Member
    In Adam all die ……………………...in Christ all will be made alive

reconcile to himself all things

one
    man's trespass (Adam) led to condemnation for all man (you and me ) ...………..one man's (Jesus) act of righteousness (the cross) leads to acquittal and life for ALL MEN (humanity)

You get the point ………………….

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    SD, I highly recommend the book : Jesus : Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millennium
    Bart D. Ehrman

Ms you might like the book too …………...

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    LOL tampa……………………...that was pretty good. What are your views on "Christianity" ? thanks
    Πάρα πολλοί προπονητές και θεατές, πολύ λίγοι παίκτες και ακόμη λιγότεροι καλά.

18. Banned
    Πάρα πολλοί προπονητές και θεατές, πολύ λίγοι παίκτες και ακόμη λιγότεροι καλά.

Trop de chefs gâchent le ragoût ...

19. Member
    Recommend Romans commentary--Peoples Bible--A. Panning. Great for the who's and why's.
    SD--even sold by Concordia Publishing House!--and Northwestern Publishing.

In the Garden of Gethsemane, Christ addresses His betrayer--Judas--as 'friend' (Mat 26:50). That's compassion. Holding out the olive branch till the last minute. Its reflective of God's compassion towards us. In eternity, before the formation of the world, God saw man's rejection of Him and decided to send Christ anyway.--That's compassion. God condescends to become man. That's compassion. God is more than a model of compassion--He is compassion (Ex 34:6)

Remember, we are to be compassionate 100% of the time. Perfection is the requirement/demand to gain God's favor. Everyone compassionate 100% of the time raise their hands. When we look into the mirror and see or sins (in this case lack of compassion)--flee to the cross. Peter (himself restored as a product of Christ's compassion) said under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life." (forgiveness of sins) John 6:68
    Last edited by msethsmile; 08-11-2018 at 10:24 AM.

20. Member
    Had to look. Bart D Ehrman is a self professed agnostic, unbeliever, and graduate of Princeton Seminary (yikes). Why recommend this author? "Without faith it is impossible to please God." Heb 11:6. "The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom." Proverbs 9:10

The title of this site is "Increasing Our Faith". How does taking pot shots at Scripture (the very tool God uses to create and sustain faith) "increase our faith"? Eve took advice from an unbeliever (satan) and look where it got her (and us).

Read A. Panning instead. The guy actually believes in God and is a graduate of a sane (Christian) seminary. Go figure.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 08-11-2018 at 12:07 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast