Thread: Which Bible....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    To the modern day gnostics:
    Did God have a hand in the cannon? Lack of trust in God?
    Does God have a hand in the calling/placing of pastors and other church workers? Lack of trust in God?
    Does God have a hand in the placing of secular leaders? Even when they seem evil? Lack of trust in God.
    Scripture is properly interpreted by the historical/grammatical method. Context must be placed in history and the grammar correct.
    Decision theology. Lack of trust in God?
    Who keeps the very molecules in your hand in their proper order? Lack of trust in God.
    Somehow, God always seems to eventually get it right, even with our help.

Maybe (maybe not) this is part of the faulty cannon you espouse: "While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Rom 5:8 (part A= Law, B=Gospel)

2. Member
    Denominations or no denominations--Scripture speaks for itself. Scripture interprets Scripture.

Still another maybe in your book: "...as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us." Ps 103:12
    Last edited by msethsmile; 08-08-2018 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    HaHa
    Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't think to translate. Of course google translate could be off, maybe I should use 4 other versions to get it right
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    "all Scripture" ………….Those that were determined by "men" (Ill use your term "sinful men" men that cant even understand all that is written in NT) in the 3rd century to be included in the 27 NT books we have today ?

Or does "all scripture" include the other numerous books that didn't get included into the cannon in the 3rd century ?

Or was God referencing the known books at the time of the writing of the "NT" documents ?
    Wayne Grudem - Systematic Theology
    Very good reference book for questions. The chapters on how the Bible books were picked and Bible Inerrancy are very informative.

Most church pastors have a copy.

Chapter 3: The Canon of Scripture
    Chapter 4: The 4 Characteristics of Scripture
    Chapter 5: The Inerrancy of Scripture
    Last edited by Jaydbee; 08-08-2018 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Added book reference chapters

5. Member
    For church and Bible study I use a NKJV study Bible.
    For home and general reading I use the NLT. For me it's an easier read.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't think to translate. Of course google translate could be off, maybe I should use 4 other versions to get it right

:) I probably couldn't get it right with 4 more LOL

7. Member
    Catholic and Eastern Orthodox have a few extra books in their cannon :) Are they the Gnostics you speak of ? Are they people of THE Faith ? I think they have been around quit a bit longer than the protestant bible or the protestant doctrines of the 15th century...……........………….Maybe God didn't like them and took some of the books out ?

It was not Martin Luthers intention to start a "NEW" anything...…….In fact he was afraid of the very thing that has happened, A bible in the hands of those not learned. A cause of many many many many problems since then.

The early King James Bible had the extra books mentioned above...…………………….now the KJV doesn't. who changed their mind, God?

PLEASE READ MY POST #6 OF THIS THREAD.

8. Member
    1. If everyone allowed Scripture to interpret Scripture we would have 10% of the denominational disagreements.
    2. God creates, sustains the Church (capital C) thru his Word Rom 10:17, 2 Tim 3:15. If He builds His church in this fashion would He allow the cannon to be messed with?
    3. Just another version of, "Did God really say? (Gen 2)" Who said that? Hint: he still speaks today.

9. Member
    [QUOTE=msethsmile;9569683]1. If everyone allowed Scripture to interpret Scripture we would have 10% of the denominational disagreements.
    2. God creates, sustains the Church (capital C) thru his Word Rom 10:17, 2 Tim 3:15. If He builds His church in this fashion would He allow the cannon to be messed with?
    3. Just another version of, "Did God really say? (Gen 2)" Who said that? Hint: he still speaks today.[/QUOT

"Did God really say...……………………...8 thousands years ago about what not to eat or what they could eat...……………..yes. your point ?

Does God sustain His church ? ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm define church ?

I guesss you are the almighty referee of what is "orthodox".

allways deflecting

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msethsmile View Post
    1. If everyone allowed Scripture to interpret Scripture we would have 10% of the denominational disagreements.
    3. Just another version of, "Did God really say? (Gen 2)" Who said that? Hint: he still speaks today.
    Please interpret (scripture interprets scripture) Revelation chapter 1 verses 1-5 if you have "gnostic" understanding apart from what IS WRITTEN ?

Do you even know what "gnostic" really means ………………………….of course in its historical grammatical context :)

11. Member
    No offence ms.……………………….since scripture interprets scripture as you speak of...………………..please tell me what John meant in Revelation chapter 1 verses 1-5 ?

ill wait for your scripture interprets scripture as the interpreters have interpreted scripture.

12. Member

In case our readers do not know ( gnostic/special knowledge) what Revelation says...……………………...here is the KJV.

Revelation 1 King James Version (KJV)

1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:2 Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.4 John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

Ms, do you know what the greek word 'Revelation' means ?

Ms, do you know what the Greek word for shortly is ?

Ms, do you know what the Greek word for "the time is at hand" .

13. Member
    Ms...............................I do not pretend to know it all, understand it all........but I am wise enough to not pretend I do.

14. Member
    and I do need to apologize to those who are not familiar with the origins of Gnosticism ………………………………………..the way I used it in this forum is not the original meaning. I was just responding to MS nonsensical usage of Gnosticism.

15. Member
    "Did God really say...?" was spoken by satan to Eve (sowing the seeds of doubt). Unfortunately, she listened.

Scripture is the referee/standard on what is orthodox.

The Church (capital 'C'): The Holy Christian Church, AKA the communion of saints, AKA the fellowship of all believers of all time.

Christ never cited, endorsed, or commissioned the apocrypha--Catholic books of Scripture.

Again, God creates and sustains His Church by His Word (Rom 10:17, 2 Tim 3:15). Anything/anyone that obfuscates/clouds the meaning of Scripture or its cannon is an enemy of the Church. See posts #14 and #18. Which one clouds the cannon or validity of Scripture?

More from the cloud: "Look, the lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!" Jn 1:29 Is it true for the whole world and myself or not? God's word is truth (Jn 17:17)
    Last edited by msethsmile; 08-09-2018 at 10:03 AM.

16. Member
    Christ led a perfect life and sacrificed Himself on the cross for me, the chief of sinners. I inherit His perfect life in God's eyes (the ones that count). This is what I know. How? Unshakable* Scripture told me so. Maybe we should listen more to the 4 year olds--Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so...

*divinely inspired, inerrant, infallible

17. Member
    Centuries ago, the gnostics believed they had a "special knowledge" of Scripture and salvation. Read post #32. Its like deja vu all over again. The "modern gnostics" label applies perfectly.

18. Banned

Ανέφερα τα Γνωστικά Ευαγγέλια

[COLOR=#545454 !important]
    Anéfera ta Gnostiká Evangélia
    [/COLOR]

Translation: "I mentioned the Gnostic Gospels" in Greek per TampaJim's request..

Δεν το κάνουμε ελληνικά;

[COLOR=#545454 !important]
    Den to kánoume elliniká?
    [/COLOR]

Tr: Weren't We doing it in Greek?

Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post

Tr: Weren't We doing it in Greek?
    Is there a good reason to do so? There are enough competent translations available.

Lew and T Jim, what are your beliefs? Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth, the Life? simply put, are you Christian? I like to know who I am responding to.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

20. Member
    Maybe we should listen more to the 4 year olds--Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so...

*divinely inspired, inerrant, infallible
    I have requested that song for my funeral.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast