School me on G Loomis Spinning Rods.

So before the end of the year I want to purchase my first G Loomis and I'll be starting with a spinning rod, 852 preferably. I went to the BPS in Springfield today and they had the IMX Pro in the 852s and some new GLX but only casting models. I'm not buying from BPS just wanted to see what I could put my hands on. Growing up I longed to own a Loomis but back then (late 90s) it was GLX, IMX, and GL or GL2. Somebody break down NRX, GLX, IMX so I can pinpoint what to focus in on. I'm a Falcon Cara guy but want to step my game up especially since I moved up here around Table Rock and Bull Shoals I find a spinning rod in my hand more than a baitcaster. Tackle Trap has a very attractive Demo price on the 852 NRX as well as the GLX but the clear value of their offers goes to the NRX. How about the Conquest and the new IMX? I've got a 7' Cara with a Stradic Ci4+ but knowing how much I've been using spinning rods lately and how the rod does the work I think I want a higher end rod (and reel). What will I see different in a 852 with a NRX vs GLX vs IMX? Thanks.

No much difference in the NRX 852S and GLX 852S they are very close with the edge going to the NRX. The IMX pro is definitely a step down from both but still not bad for the money. Application will be more of a factor. NRX, GLX for drop shot 1/4-3/8 and shakey head not for light spinning application. NRX= best GLX= next best still great IMX PRO= average. I prefer the 872S over the 852S. Also the 842S in both the GLX and NRX are a very versatile rods that can cover many applications.

3. Member
    Looking for the "all purpose" even though that's not a thing anymore. Shakey heads, drop shot, Ned rigs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bass View Post
    No much difference in the NRX 852S and GLX 852S they are very close with the edge going to the NRX. The IMX pro is definitely a step down from both but still not bad for the money. Application will be more of a factor. NRX, GLX for drop shot 1/4-3/8 and shakey head not for light spinning application. NRX= best GLX= next best still great IMX PRO= average. I prefer the 872S over the 852S. Also the 842S in both the GLX and NRX are a very versatile rods that can cover many applications.
    Well said. I actually prefer the 852 GLX over the 852 NRX but that’s splitting hairs. The GLX has a slightly heavier action in my hands. The 872 NRX is my favorite spinning rod.

5. Member
    If you want all purpose step up to the conquests.

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Looking for the "all purpose" even though that's not a thing anymore. Shakey heads, drop shot, Ned rigs, etc.
    Those NRX and GLX rods are meant to be specialty rods, tough to find one that is all purpose. I've got a GLX 821S Jig and worm walleye rod that is an excellent rod for Neds in the 1/16 - 1/8 oz range and works well for light drop shot. It has recoil guides which some don't like, but I am fine with them. It is very light, but with some backbone, just a fun rod to fish.

7. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar

I've got 4 of the 842S Conquests, great all purpose spinning rod...

I had 4 NRX 852S prior to getting the Conquests, it was a great rod too.

Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post
    If you want all purpose step up to the conquests.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

8. Member
    Best .nrx for multipurpose is the 852s , best overall nex spinning rod for me would go to the 872s .. and nrx and glx are great rods imx isnt bad bit child play the the other 2 and havent had the opportunity to use the conquest yet
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

9. Member
    NRX 852s if you could just have one rod!

10. Banned
    Have them...fond of GLX 902s also

I went through the same decision as you. I tried both the NRX and GLX but didn't try the Conquest. I ended up going with the GLX as it just felt better in my hand and the action suited my style better. The GLX did not feel as stiff in the same model. I have the 852JWR but recently picked up the 892JWR for increased casting distance with lighter lures. I have zero complaints with the GLX.

12. Member
    Thanks guys!! Just ordered a NRX 872 from Tackle Trap.

13. Member
    Got my 872 in today, unfortunately I won't be able to use it Saturday but I'm going to try my damndest to get out Sunday morning. Thanks Tackle Trap for a great price.

14. Member
    NRX 852s is the best all around 7 foot medium powered spinning rod I’ve ever used...Until I picked up a G. Loomis Conquest 842s.
    2019 Ranger Z520L Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DChiWildcats View Post
    NRX 852s is the best all around 7 foot medium powered spinning rod I’ve ever used...Until I picked up a G. Loomis Conquest 842s.
    I went with the 872. I haven't had the chance to go out in the boat with it yet but hit the back of a creek on the bank at Table Rock close by for about an hour, it's a totally different experience. Throwing a 1/8 shakey head I could pull it over rocks instead of getting hung because I "knew" what I was feeling and could come over it. The one small fish I caught was such a strange experience that I'm definitely going to have to get used to, it's one of those cant explain until you experience kind of deal.

16. Member
    The 872 is also my favorite spinning rod. I throw a 3/16 shakeyhead a LOT and its the perfect blend of tip and power for me. I also had an 852 that i didnt care for as much. It was a great rod, just a touch too stiff for my preference. I can also fling a #5 or 7 shad rap a mile in the spring with the 872 and it has plenty of tip to keep em pinned. Im actually in the process of looking for another 872 since i sold my 852 this week. My 852 still looked new and my 872 has a million miles on it and looks tge part. If it ever breaks ill gladly pay the expeditor on it
    They aint got hands, set the hook