Guntersville tips...

Hitting the lake next week, coming from Washington. We have a bass boat lined up for a couple of days, out of Mill Creek. Can you point us in the right direction? I don't mean specific spots, more what to look for and techniques. I plan on bringing a couple casting and spinning outfits with me on the plane, along with a box or two of gear. Looking forward to exploring the area.

2. Member
    If I were you, i'd ask for specific spots as well.

3. Member
    Man that is a long ways from home. Leave the sissy sticks in the truck. Find some grass and probe it with plastics.

This time of year down there I would also bring a frog for sure

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter185 View Post
    This time of year down there I would also bring a frog for sure
    If you fish the thick slop you can have much more success punching it with plastics in my experience. It was a rare day having good success with frogs or rats.

A couple of local tackle shops have Dirty Jigs in Guntersville Special color. It is worth getting a few. The swimjig version too.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Member
    I would call Mike Carter 423-802-1362 and book day 1 with him to get my feet wet.

Frog in the morning, stroke a spoon around grass points, 3/4 -1oz spinnerbaits slow rolled around ledges with grass or wood. Plastic like mentioned above too.
    Good luck. It's still a Great place to fish.

What part of WA you from? Used to live in Federal Way. Leave spinning rods lol, bring big sticks. Frog, punch rig, buzzbaits, toads flukes. All the grass you want to fish, look for the shad and watch for schooling. Some deep crankin, swimbaiting as well.
    Kerry Copeland
    2015 Skeeter ZX250/250 SHO
    Decatur, Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry201pro View Post
    What part of WA you from? Used to live in Federal Way. Leave spinning rods lol, bring big sticks. Frog, punch rig, buzzbaits, toads flukes. All the grass you want to fish, look for the shad and watch for schooling. Some deep crankin, swimbaiting as well.
    Sounds like lipless crank heaven.
    Ranting incoherently

11. Member
    Coming from Bothell...all right, no fairy wands then. I like fishing grass, since most opportunities around me are deep, clear lakes. Thanks for the info so far.

12. Member
    Wow, what a day! Got my first taste of a southern t storm. Luckily I was close to the launch and had dropped my pregnant wife off just 30 minutes prior.

Now the fishing, had two bites on a shad colored vibrating jig in the shade line off rocks, landed 1..nothing after the storm, not even a drive by. Hoping for better luck on Friday.

13. Member
    Lol that wasn’t a real storm. A real storm is when the air turns a greenish yellow and you can feel the electricity in the air.

14. Member
    Find some Missle Baits D-Bombs in black and blue and punch grass. The fish love that bait for some reason on that lake. For me anyway. Good luck

15. Member
    ...another pretty slow day, couple in the morning. One on a plopper, the other on an under spin. Caught my first white bass, which was cool. Was running the main river and saw feeders ahead. Threw out a plopper and bam. Went to punch grass in the afternoon and it was just too damn hot for us washingtonians...hit the shade on the bank and ended up finding the gem of the trip, a truly giant smallmouth...at least 9 pounds :) seriously though, I've caught some good smallies in Washington, never have I seen a mouth like this on a smallmouth
    20180810_162504.jpg

16. Member
    Is that a Meanmouth?

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    Is that a Meanmouth?
    That what I'm thinking as well.....cool fish

18. Member
    I’d get a popping frog, Boyah or Scum frog, a bag of ten inch worms with as light a weight as the wind allows, and a spook JR. Don’t be afraid to try the spook all afternoon. I’ve caught fish on that lake mid day on top water! If you can get your hands on a Boogerman buzzbait all the better. Fish that along the edges of the mats early and late. Last year I did best around the long strands of grass in the milfoil. The fish were concentrated in small areas. When we found those areas we hammered them. That was in September. I’ve had great days in June and July. I’ve fished with guys who skipped docks with wacky senko’s on those sissy sticks who whacked em! They weight one end of the senko with a nail. That’s not my style of fishing, but I know it works.

19. Member
    Thanks all for the tips and direction. We had a blast exploring the river for a day and a half and catching a few fish.