Need help with hole shot

Would like to say hello to everyone, have only posted once on here. Like the idea of a section for Tracker Boats. My question is that when I have a full tank on gas, the livewell full of water, and a buddy fishin a club tournment I can't get the boat to get on plane. I have a 2017 175 txw, with a Mercury 60 4 stroke. The prop is a blackmax 12x22. I don't know much about the workings of a boat, just a guy who is retired and enjoys fishing. Help would be appreciated.

2. Member
    Sounds like your prop has too much pitch. When I had my 4 stroke 60, I ran 13 and 14 inch pitch props.

That 12x22 is the gear ratio on the lower unit. I bet someone put a 15p three blade on it. What you need with that load is a 14p Spitfire aluminum prop, or best is a 13p Trophy Sport ss 4blade. Problem solved, holeshot will be under 3 seconds with either.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

That is a load to get a great hole shot with a 60. Few questions... How is your hole shot with just you in the boat? Is your prop equipped with the PVS plugs? I ask this because as I found out the prop selection is highly dependent and could be very different for every boat depending on many factors like the load that you described. If your prop has the PVS plugs, I recommend as the easiest and cheapest option to order a complete set so you can experiment. For the record, when I did this I found out that the plugs that came installed with my prop when new were completely wrong for my "normal" running load. The reason I asked about the hole shot when running solo is it may be as simple as raising your motor one or two holes.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

5. Member
    Thanks Guys for the replys. I think alot of my trouble was that I was over filling my livewell, and not knowing how to operate the livewell properly. Took the boat to the lake this morning and with just me and no water in livewell the boat came up on plane fine. Will work on the problem and will proably have more questions. Thanks again!!!!

6. Member
    My theory on the 12x22 marking, is that's the maximum possible prop. The gear ratio should be something more like 1.83:1 unless its a Command Thrust model. You should be able to Google the markings on the prop to get its spec.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

Quote Originally Posted by R2Tracker View Post
    My theory on the 12x22 marking, is that's the maximum possible prop. The gear ratio should be something more like 1.83:1 unless its a Command Thrust model. You should be able to Google the markings on the prop to get its spec.
    Yes 1.83 is the gear ratio, the gears it self, one has 12 teeth and the other has 22 teeth.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

8. Member
    Ah... Thank you, I wondered what else it could possibly be.
    I should have figured 22/12 = 1.8333333333333
    Last edited by R2Tracker; 07-30-2018 at 09:14 PM.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

Quote Originally Posted by Nailbender8 View Post
    That is a load to get a great hole shot with a 60. Few questions... How is your hole shot with just you in the boat? Is your prop equipped with the PVS plugs? I ask this because as I found out the prop selection is highly dependent and could be very different for every boat depending on many factors like the load that you described. If your prop has the PVS plugs, I recommend as the easiest and cheapest option to order a complete set so you can experiment. For the record, when I did this I found out that the plugs that came installed with my prop when new were completely wrong for my "normal" running load. The reason I asked about the hole shot when running solo is it may be as simple as raising your motor one or two holes.
    Unfortunately the smaller models do not have the pvs system. If it were a command thrust or bigfoot model then that would be an option with the larger gearcase. Pvs plugs are great for dialing in a prop tho. They help alot

To the OP. standard prop is a blackmax 14p. If holeshot is sluggish you can step down to 13p if you have a full load all the time. Ss prop will flex less and can help with holeshot also.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    That 12x22 is the gear ratio on the lower unit. I bet someone put a 15p three blade on it. What you need with that load is a 14p Spitfire aluminum prop, or best is a 13p Trophy Sport ss 4blade. Problem solved, holeshot will be under 3 seconds with either.
    This.