Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Hard to find a black motor in black water. The stump he hit was probably 5 foot in diameter and petrified. About 6 inches under the water. I was about 100 yards behind him. When I got to him he was turning the ignition key. He had no idea his engine was gone.

What a torture track. Doesn't sound like I would even want to start my engine on Lake Marion.

Is Lake Moultrie somewhat safer?
    Last edited by cjrich; 08-11-2018 at 07:21 PM.
    Craig

2018 Bass Cat Margay
    150 HP Mercury Four Stroke

3. Member
    It's somewhat safer, but anytime you are near land it's shallow and stumpy.

There are 3 area of concern offshore. One is Twin Island, in the middle of the lake,. Anther is a long point on the south side of Coon Island. It run about 1/2 mile. The other is the llong hallow point running south from the island right outside of Angels Cove.

Thank you all.

I am staying at Santee State Park for 8 nights. I would like to fish Moultrie 2 of those days. The trip begins November 3. I would like to key in on 1 or 2 areas of Moultrie and still have a motor to power the boat.

Can you make a suggestion on what areas might be productive (without driving all the way to Bonmneau Beach.

I would like to fish somewhere on the west side of Moultrie, as it would be more convenient access from Santee State Park.

Many thanks.

Craig
    Last edited by cjrich; 08-14-2018 at 07:53 PM.
    Craig

2018 Bass Cat Margay

The Hatchery(has ramps) or Duck Pond.

Thanks Inky!
    Craig

2018 Bass Cat Margay

And based upon the posts within this thread: Staying at Santee State Park; where might I begin fishing where I might even consider starting the engine on my boat? Sounds like one must drop the trolling motor as soon as leaving the ramp. Stumps everywhere, don't trust the buoys.

I 'm not being sarcastic or kidding. Do you all simply go slow and hope for the best? Sounds like a real gamble. Gotta be more to it ...

I know the lake is know for great fishing, but it sounds as if a kayak is the safest play.

I don't do kayaks.
    Craig

2018 Bass Cat Margay

Kayak? Don't forget about the alligators. If you want an example Google 13 foot alligator at blacks camp. Quite eye-opening.

You can fish behind the park with no problem(about a 1/4 of it is a no wake zone.There are a few stumps,but you can put trolling motor down & fish around the cove & while fishing watch how other boats run in it.It’s not wide at all.Otherwise the lake could be lower so then you have 2 choices,use other ramps in that area like Stumphole Landing(public landing)or Low Falls Landing or you can hire a guide the 1st or 2nd day.You can check my site at inkydavis.com .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12