Added a static plate to my xb 2003.

I bought a static plate from a fellow bbc'er a while back and just put it on. From everything I've read online 14" is the optimum setback for my boat('95 xb2003). I have the static plate at its shortest setting, 6.5", and I have a 9" jack plate on the static plate. This gives me a total of 15.5". I figured I would try it like this before I shortened the static plate just to see how it did.
    First hole shot was very slow but consistent. The prop to pad is 1/16th above pad best I can measure. I had a cut 27 trophy plus on it today. Can't tell if it rides better I just know its different. Wot, couldn't really check it because the water was way to rough. I did have a few short runs, got up to 65(slowly) and was turning around 5200 rpms.
    At this current set up should I raise my motor up an inch or two due it being further back behind the boat?

2. Member
    I would not at this point raise the motor. I would shorten the setback to 14 inches and would let motor at even with the pad to 1/4" below.

3. Moderator
    Good thing you couldn't run wide open if your pad is stock. 1/4" below the pad even at 15 1/2" back or you're going to go for a ride you don't want to be in.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Props4u2 View Post
    Good thing you couldn't run wide open if your pad is stock. 1/4" below the pad even at 15 1/2" back or you're going to go for a ride you don't want to be in.
    YEP!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Props4u2 View Post
    My experience in these set ups is limited but as far as going for a ride are you meaning the hook or 360° that comes from running the motor to high? If so then explain this to me( just trying to learn here, not being smart). If at 9" set back and 1/4 below pad is good the the more setback the higher the motor(to an extent). Does the water not rise up after flowing off the pad? Or is the issue the lip on the pad? I knew before putting this static plate on that more than likely I would be cutting it down so I could have 14" setback. And I also know that small adjustments can yield big results.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    My experience in these set ups is limited but as far as going for a ride are you meaning the hook or 360° that comes from running the motor to high? If so then explain this to me( just trying to learn here, not being smart). If at 9" set back and 1/4 below pad is good the the more setback the higher the motor(to an extent). Does the water not rise up after flowing off the pad? Or is the issue the lip on the pad? I knew before putting this static plate on that more than likely I would be cutting it down so I could have 14" setback. And I also know that small adjustments can yield big results.
    1/4" to even is where you should be if you have a stock lip and 14" of setback. A hook can be expected at some time if the motor is too high. I, personally have never seen small adjustments in height yielding big results.

7. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    The water can only rise so much since the boat cuts a very shallow trough in the water at high speed.
    It gets to a point where more set back doesn't mean more height.

Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    1/4" to even is where you should be if you have a stock lip and 14" of setback. A hook can be expected at some time if the motor is too high. I, personally have never seen small adjustments in height yielding big results.
    What if you have a reduced lip? Still there but, say around .015? Is under the pad still where you want to be?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    What if you have a reduced lip? Still there but, say around .015? Is under the pad still where you want to be?
    No...........depending on load, you may then go higher than that. I have a reduced lip..............around .035. My recommendation would be to raise it but do so in very small amounts and do a lot of testing after you raise it before raising it again. K-DAWG.............PM sent.

10. Member
    I took the plate back of and now have just the 9". Measured my prop to pad, I think its roughly 1/8" below pad. Took it to the lake pretty much empty( I thought a buddy was going with me) and ran in the 70's unbalanced. I think I'll try a set of 2" spacers while I cut the static plate down to 5". Oh yeah, I ran 77 and was still in negative trim. Probably still had 3 or 4 bumps to neutral trim. I sure can't drive it bow high, not yet any way.

I have a 1995 as well and it had a 9" plate when I got it, ran good. I added 4" spacers but cant say it handles any different, maybe more responsive to trim with just the 9"

12. Member
    Did you gain any speed?

I dont remember but I dont think so, maybe 1mph if any. I raised my plate when I added the 4" spacers so not apples to apples.

I slung a blade on my chopper and put my 27 dbl. Cupped ally cut trophy on my xb03 sunday. All i can say is wow, fully loaded 2 ppl. Had zero steer torque and instant holeshot. Ran it to 80mph with great feel and handling, i dont know ptp cause i have 12" hyd. Plate, but lower than a chopper. I only had my TM stock gen 1 lower ,so i stopped at 80,i dont wanna take the trophy off ! Freakin awesome. 97 xb2003 300pm 12" back.

One thing i clued into qwik, the prop had no blowout ring and 1 solid plug ? Lol, it wouldnt launch with jackplate all the way down, raised it 4" and ran like a bear. Normally i launch with plate down and 1/4 trim with a 28/30 p ally cut chopper. I have 300x cut can tuner and xtra exhaust holes drilled in bottom of mid. May not have had enuff exhaust gas to spool trophy up ?