Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Map Recording Time

How much map recording time does a 32GB card give you? I have a 64GB card that I can format FAT 32 (and yes, I know FAT 32 is normally limited to 32 GB, but it can be done).

Tom

2. Member
    Lets just say the entire country (including the marine waterways) fit on a 32gig card.
    ><((((º>`·._ .·´¯><((((º>`·. _ .·´¯·. ><((((º>

3. Member
    I'm talking about the maps you record with the unit, not the ones that come with it. Are we talking about the same thing?

Tom

4. Member
    I can't remember if I was told 2 million or 3 million acres. A bunch, anyway.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

5. Member
    It looks like size won't be a problem. I forgot to mention that I would also be recording some sonar captures too, which apparently eats up space pretty quickly.

Tom

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Sonar "captures" as in screen shots or recording?
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Sonar "captures" as in screen shots or recording?
    Recording. I wouldn't think screen captures would take up much space.

Tom

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Ok, Maybe record and after a several recordings transfer them to your PC....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

9. Member
    Be careful with the 64GB card. I was able to format it as fat32 and Echomap 73sv accepted it. Recorded my contours, but everything that I recorded on that 6 hr day was lost when I got home.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeritageCycles View Post
    Be careful with the 64GB card. I was able to format it as fat32 and Echomap 73sv accepted it. Recorded my contours, but everything that I recorded on that 6 hr day was lost when I got home.
    Um, I'll check it out. I just finished the install today and did use the 64GB card to do the software/charts update and it read it just fine. More testing will get it sorted.

Thanks,

Tom

11. Member
    If I remember right 15 hours of recording will use 2GB.

12. Member
    Just a heads up guys. The actual Garmin 93SV unit WILL take a 64GB SD card FAT 32 formatted. However, Garmin's OTHER software, HomePort sees the 64GB, thinks it is corrupted, and won't read the data. So I went to Wally World, got a Sandisk 32GB Ultra Plus and did everything over. Homeport then read the data just fine.

I did notice when I downloaded the maps to the SD card (that took almost two hours!!!!!) that Garmin's US maps are divided into two sections... Eastern US and Western US. Since I'm never going to be fishing west of the Mississippi, I can delete the western maps from the card and save space... should it ever be necessary.

Tom

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 12poundbass View Post
    If I remember right 15 hours of recording will use 2GB.
    15 hours of recording what? Sonar or bottom contours or both?

Tom

14. Member
    I noticed the exceedingly long time for map download also. I thought it was cause I used active captain app on my phone.

15. Banned
    Saving your internal maps to card takes forever. Only thing I can think of being the issue is a very slow interface to the SD card. Like it's using USB 1.0. Which I wouldn't doubt.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Saving your internal maps to card takes forever. Only thing I can think of being the issue is a very slow interface to the SD card. Like it's using USB 1.0. Which I wouldn't doubt.
    I don't doubt it either. Garmin's software and their interfaces are disappointing to say the least.

Homeport looks like something designed by some temp worker in the data processing department in the late 80's and never changed.

ActiveCaptain on the unit says it is connected to my Android phone, but some features, primarily "OneChart" claims it is NOT connected. How can "Activecaptain Community", "Quickdraw Community" and "My Registered Devices" be connected via wifi and at the SAME TIME "OneChart" and "Smart Notificatios" claim no connection? That is insane.

Tom

17. Member
    ActiveCaptain on your phone provides connectivity from the internet and to your MFD, but NOT at the same time. It's one or the other. When you have your phone connected to the internet, that set of functions can be used. When connected to your MFD, whatever you put on your phone, when you were connected to the internet, is now available to the MFD.

I'm not so sure these limitations have anything to do with Garmin. For example, my cell phone service is through Verizon. When I'm away from home the internet/data services are provided via Verizon. When I am at home though, my phone connects via WiFi to my home network. When it's connected via WiFi the data connection to Verizon is disconnected. Both are not active at the same time. That has nothing to do with ActiveCaptain. It's just how my phone works. So when I use WiFi to connect to the MFD, the data/internet connection to Verizon is severed, just like at home.

Now I can use my phone as a hotspot. When I do both the Verizon/data/internet connection and the WiFi are active as the same time but the purpose is for a computer to connect to my phone and get its internet through my phone. The software on our units, at least so far, does not have an internet browser for the MFD to be directly served internet services. It's a natural progression though. I would be surprised if they are not working on it.

Now as far as your criticism of Homeport and the need for better software on a PC to display sonar recordings and contour maps etc. I agree.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by T_om View Post
    I don't doubt it either. Garmin's software and their interfaces are disappointing to say the least.

Homeport looks like something designed by some temp worker in the data processing department in the late 80's and never changed.

ActiveCaptain on the unit says it is connected to my Android phone, but some features, primarily "OneChart" claims it is NOT connected. How can "Activecaptain Community", "Quickdraw Community" and "My Registered Devices" be connected via wifi and at the SAME TIME "OneChart" and "Smart Notificatios" claim no connection? That is insane.

Tom
    Active Captain works 60% of the time, every time. Smart Notifications relies on Bluetooth, not WiFi, as far as I know.

LWinchester2, your phone can use both WiFi and cellular data at the same time. It has to as certain functions of your phone rely solely on cellular data, such as SMS messages. You just can't browse the web while connected to the Garmin's wifi. At least, not without additional software to expand the networking capabilities of your phone.

19. Member
    You are correct. I forgot about the SMS.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

20. Member
    Are you supposed to be able to view sms messages on your MFD? Or just get an alert that you have a message?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast