Buying boat out of state

Thinking about selling my 2000 model TR20, and getting a little larger used boat. I am thinking about buying one from up in Missouri. Have never bought anything out of state. When I go up there and switch documents at notary... will I then pay their sales tax? I believe when I register trailer in La. I may also have to pay on the trailer, not sure.

2. Member
    You should get three bills of sale. One for the boat, one for the trailer and one for the motor. I bought my boat out of Kentucky. It was new. Had to go to the DMV to pay taxes on the trailer and have it registered. Then I had to go to the school board to pay local sales tax. Then I had to go to the Dept of Revenue in Baton Rouge to pay state sales tax. Then I had to go to Wildlife and Fisheries to register the boat. I checked with all these offices and knew exactly what I had to do before I picked up the boat. I have seen too many people buy something and have trouble registering.

3. Member
    It's not something you want to delay. In Illinois if you don't pay any sales tax due withing a certain amount of days you are penalized. Get all needed forms ahead of time.

4. Member
    Thanks

5. Member
    Also, if buying from an individual, not a dealer, you will only pay tax on the trailer when you register it here. You will need to fill out a form and take it to the local and state tax office and they will sign off on it as non-taxable. Just make sure you have the registration for the boat in the state you buy it from along with the trailers paperwork.

6. Member
    Will do thanks.

7. Member
    bill of sale for motor, bill of sale for boat, and bill of sale for trailer. Double check and make sure everything in the seller name/buyer names match. I bought a used boat from a dealer in Oklahoma. I had to take the bill of sale and the trailer to Troop C to get inspected since OK did not register trailers. Then took that paper work to the DMV to get the trailer registered and a license. I then took the bill of sale for the boat/trailer/motor to your local parish office to pay parish tax for and then had to take a trip to new orleans to pay the state sales tax on boat/trailer/motor. Then you need to send off the paperwork to LDWF to register the boat and get your numbers.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayouXpress View Post
    bill of sale for motor, bill of sale for boat, and bill of sale for trailer. Double check and make sure everything in the seller name/buyer names match. I bought a used boat from a dealer in Oklahoma. I had to take the bill of sale and the trailer to Troop C to get inspected since OK did not register trailers. Then took that paper work to the DMV to get the trailer registered and a license. I then took the bill of sale for the boat/trailer/motor to your local parish office to pay parish tax for and then had to take a trip to new orleans to pay the state sales tax on boat/trailer/motor. Then you need to send off the paperwork to LDWF to register the boat and get your numbers.

Unless JBE changed something in the last year or so there is no sales tax on the boat and motor, only the trailer. You have to have the current boat registration from wherever you get it and fill out the paperwork. It needs to be signed by the state and local tax authority but no tax is due on the boat and motor if it is from an individual. I've done 3 and never paid sales tax other than the trailer when registering it here.. The next one I buy I will go to the bank and get a loan on it so they can deal with all the paperwork. Its probably worth it to pay a few months interest then pay it off.

9. Member
    I’ve bought a boat or two out of state. The only one you pay sales tax on is if it’s from a dealer. A couple of years ago they made you pay no matter what for a brief period of time but has since went back to no taxes. Only taxes paid is on the trailer.
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    Unless JBE changed something in the last year or so there is no sales tax on the boat and motor, only the trailer. You have to have the current boat registration from wherever you get it and fill out the paperwork. It needs to be signed by the state and local tax authority but no tax is due on the boat and motor if it is from an individual. I've done 3 and never paid sales tax other than the trailer when registering it here.. The next one I buy I will go to the bank and get a loan on it so they can deal with all the paperwork. Its probably worth it to pay a few months interest then pay it off.

i bought from a dealer so i paid taxes on boat and trailer. The bill of sale on the motor was kind of weird because I did nothing with it. All the cost was on the boat and we put 500 as the price on the trailer.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayouXpress View Post
    i bought from a dealer so i paid taxes on boat and trailer. The bill of sale on the motor was kind of weird because I did nothing with it. All the cost was on the boat and we put 500 as the price on the trailer.

Dealer yes, individual no, just on the trailer if all paperwork is done properly.

12. Member
    Rock,

Do yourself a favor and call Mrs. Jamie at Tags and Titles in St. Amant. She will tell you all you need and when you get all the paperwork you can bring it to her and she will take care of everything. One stop shop and they handle all the dealings with the different government offices. Money well spent everytime!
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.