Thread: Boat insurance

Boat insurance

Hey guys don’t own an ally, but figure good place to post an issue with progressive insurance. Just got letter from them stating they will not allow renewal of insurance do to boat exceeds their max limit for speed.....never heard of this before. Boat is 2017 BC Jaguar with 400vrod. Do you all have any suggestions for good insurance companies? Thanks for any help!

I have had State farm and now have Boaters insurance agency. I think state farm--- (farmed) it out to another co.
    Never had the speed or HP issue come up.
    Just for giggles what is progressives max speed limit ?

3. Member
    Just looked at link that was posted and they say 90mph. I guess if I ran low fuel in boat and took everything out and went on 150lb diet I could be there, but right now it is an 85mph boat loaded.

My insurance is with Foremost Insurance Co. My agent is Worldwide Boat Insurance (BBC Sponsor).
    Brad Luchsinger

2003 Allison XB-21 BasSport 2+2
    2004 Mercury Racing 250XS

1998 Xpress X70
    1998 Yamaha Vmax 150 TRP

2002 Triton 200XP

5. Member
    State Farm- It is a State Farm policy- No farmed out. The issue could be the person that completed the app. It will ask for HP rating on the app. If they put 250 and then list your 400 motor the underwriter will decline the policy.
    2003 Bullet 21XDC with 2012 250 Mercury Sport XS
    1997 Allison 2003 with Mercury 225 Pro Max

6. Member
    I got the same no renewal letter from Progressive last year. After 18 years with no claims and powered by a 280 and a 225X they said my boat was now too fast. Went to Foremost which was actually a little cheaper.

7. Member
    Before I bought my first Stroker/300xs I called my Farmers/Foremost agent, I told him I was considering buying a bass boat that would run high 90's to 100 mph and was concerned about insurance. He asked some questions, I was honest with everything including I had been 100 mph in the boat I was planning on buying and having my motor installed. He put it into Farmers under writing and got the answer I was hoping for, no problem with HP or Speed. I have had a couple of claims for damage and no problem.

To clarify my previous post -- when using state farm I had 2 claims in 6 years. They promptly dropped me after they replaced a 2008 300XS with a 2013.
    That is when I had to change.. actually got the same coverage for less with the Boaters insurance agency.. I was honest with the boat/motors capabilities -- but also told them I have never pushed this one that far.

9. BBC SPONSOR
    State Farm has always insured my boats with zero questions. Each have a $50 to $100 deductible with a $20k Personal Property rider. They have never questioned speed or horsepower.

I will say before I insured my Ally with State Farm, I checked with Farmers/Foremost and they refused to insure it.

After personal dealings with Progressive on storm damage at a previous house, and recent dealings with them on a customer boat....I will never consider Progressive for anything.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

10. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandLakeGAR View Post
    I got the same no renewal letter from Progressive last year. After 18 years with no claims and powered by a 280 and a 225X they said my boat was now too fast. Went to Foremost which was actually a little cheaper.
    Progressive did you a favor. They don't really like paying claims, in fact they try to get by as cheap as they can by trying to force you to use aftermarket junk.
    It's always a battle with them it seems.
    They use all their money to pay Flo in their commercials.

11. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    State Farm has always insured my boats with zero questions. Each have a $50 to $100 deductible with a $20k Personal Property rider. They have never questioned speed or horsepower.

I will say before I insured my Ally with State Farm, I checked with Farmers/Foremost and they refused to insure it.

After personal dealings with Progressive on storm damage at a previous house, and recent dealings with them on a customer boat....I will never consider Progressive for anything.
    Agree on the Progressive part for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Props4u2 View Post
    Progressive did you a favor. They don't really like paying claims, in fact they try to get by as cheap as they can by trying to force you to use aftermarket junk.
    It's always a battle with them it seems.
    They use all their money to pay Flo in their commercials.
    We were just talking about how there were several insurance co. that sure spend a lot of money on commercials. Like every time I turn on the TV.

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Had a customer that had hit something, broke most of the skeg off. I gave an estimate to replace the housing and an estimate to replace the entire gearcase (Wingmaster)...Progressive sent out an adjustor and he said it just needed a new skeg and asked me to weld on a new one...I refused and told him I would not put my name on a hack job.

The boat was a Triton 20HP with a 250 Pro XS...there is no way I would weld a skeg for that boat.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

To this day I can't believe State farm replaced my entire motor.
    I figured at the most a new powerhead.

15. Member
    I had a customer this week lose 2 cylinders. He said he sucked up a bag in the lower unit. I as the agent do not make the decision of weather to pay. The claims department handle all claims. He was issued a chk to rebuild.
    2003 Bullet 21XDC with 2012 250 Mercury Sport XS
    1997 Allison 2003 with Mercury 225 Pro Max

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    To this day I can't believe State farm replaced my entire motor.
    I figured at the most a new powerhead.
    State Farm has always been EXTREMELY GOOD with me for any and all claims that I have submitted and some were for high dollar amounts.

17. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    State Farm has always been EXTREMELY GOOD with me for any and all claims that I have submitted and some were for high dollar amounts.
    Same here, but they will try to drop you after 2 claims that totaled $30,000 on the same boat
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X