Looking at bass cat for my next boat

I'm coming out of a Phoenix 819. I was looking at the PHX20 or 21, and I was wondering how the Lynx would compare to on ride and handling in rough water. Do you have to put much input in driving the Lynx? I had to learn how to drive the Phoenix. Also, where would the Cougar FTD compare to these boats? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you,
    BG Floyd

2. Member
    I have only rode in a PHX20 once on smooth water. Nice boat , nice ride. I went from a Puma FTD to now owning a Lynx. Totally different boats. Both require driver input but the Lynx is easier. The Lynx is a much larger boat and the ride is great and is very fast for such a large boat. I went to the Lynx for the larger deck up front. It still handles great and the fit and finish is better than any boat I've ever been in or owned.

3. Member
    I don’t think you can go wrong with the PHX or the Lynx. Those are win win choices imo.

4. Member
    I also went from a puma ftd to a lynx and would agree with brinson, they both require driver input but I also find the lynx easier to drive. I love the wide front deck and fish mainly on Lake of the Ozarks which tends to test out the rough water ride of any boat. If you have a dealer close by I would see if they have a lynx you can look at or take a ride in.

I own a cougar, which is the same hull as the previous Puma comments. The only difference is the deck layout. The cougar doesn't have rear storage but it does have under seat storage in its place. I've only been in a Lynx once but it rode very well. It feels much bigger due to the extra deck width. You should see your dealer for a ride in both. Either way you wont be disappointed with the rough water ability. Both are stellar

6. Member
    Everyone has been quiet this thread. But I’ll tell ya. you should give bass cat a shot. Best made, best backed boats on the water. You can find the one that fits your needs. But layout is the biggest factor for most. Each of the boats ride as good as can be expected by length. It has always been an priority. I love my puma. Love it. Your welcome to come drive it if you get to lake lanier. Come fish.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

7. Member
    I know I'm prejudice, but a BassCat is hard to beat. They have it all, quality boat made with the best materials, superior customer service from a close knit family group. You won't go wrong with one.
    I have a 2016 Puma/250 SHO. It's my second BassCat.

8. Member
    i have a Cougar fTD and one of my best friends has the pHX21. Very similar to me in ride (since I've re propped i think the cougar might have the edge.) Cougar is a couple miles an hour faster w/ exact same motor. Similar in size. I think the Cat has better rigging (not as cheap looking). I haven't rode in the Lynx but I would think it would be better than either the Cougar or the PHX21 due to the hull design and beam width. But they are all great boats.

9. Member
    PHX21 is a foot longer than a Cougar and few inches longer than a Lynx. A PHX20 is about the same length as a Cougar. I been in a Couger, a 920, and a 921. 921 and 920 are much wider. None are bad boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruss1984 View Post
    The cougar doesn't have rear storage but it does have under seat storage in its place.
    My 2016 Cougar has rear storage AND underseat storage.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    My 2016 Cougar has rear storage AND underseat storage.
    Mine too. I'm partial to Cats but I do think Phoenix is the second best choice in bass boats today. One reason I like the Cat is there is none of the plastic shroud every where like a Ranger/Phoenix/Skeeter/etc. It's a cleaner look and the plastic looks cheap to me. Also, it will not fade. I saw an older Phoenix this week (disclaimer: I have no clue how the boat was cared for) and the plastic was faded, the carpet looked horrible, and the seats did not look good. A cat could look the same if not cared for properly but the carpet didn't look like any 24 oz carpet I've seen on a 7-8 year old Cat. The cat will not have fading on the plastic because there is none. I hear good things about Phoenix customer service but I can personally attest to the awesomeness of BCB. Good luck with your decision.