Lightbulb Funny story/informational

Sorry in advance for the long read- but thought I might be able to help someone save some time in the future. I captained my son and a partner at the Fork Open HS tourney last weekend. The last day of practice we are making a 15-20 mile run and I see there is water in the floor of the boat. I stop and see that it's coming from under my console behind my hotfoot- a good steady flow. So I do the bug eyed thing, turn on the manual bilge and run to the ramp and put it on the trailer. Go get the other kid's dad out of the camper to help diagnose- go through an hour or so of making room in the bilge, dunking the boat to see which hose or fitting is loose (nothing), finally just putting it back in the water and go out by myself to see where it might be coming from. Made a couple mile run and the water starts coming in again. "HOW IN THE HELL IS THERE WATER COMING IN HALFWAY UP THE BOAT AND IM STILL FLOATING?" is what I am screaming inside my head. Stop in the middle of the lake, open the bilge door, some water in there, but not near enough to be making it halfway up the boat. Sit there and stare at nothing discernible for awhile and cuss a bit. By the time I get back in the drivers seat, the water under the console has almost stopped trickling. I get back on pad running back to the ramp and it starts flowing again- strong enough that my right foot is now soaking wet............and it hits me..........what is the only water intentionally being pumped to the console? Speedometer. I put it back on the trailer, find some shade, take off the console shroud, and sure enough there is no tube attached to the speedometer. Fish it out of the wires in there, plug it on, clamp it- problem solved.

I have honestly never even looked at that speedometer before- my son says "I was wondering why it wasn't working". Luckily I squared up a stump with the nosecone the next morning while idling and the intake is now clogged with wood. I just left it like that. Hopefully this will save someone some time at some point in the future.
    2014 920/SHO

2. Member
    Yup, if you've been working inside the console the removal of the shroud will pull on the tube and pull it off, or back far enough for it to leek. Did that on my boat the other week. Only leaked at 60 plus mph on the way back to the launch. When I opened up the console I didn't think the tube was backed off far enough to leak, but pushed it all the way back on, tightened the wire tie as much as I could and no more leaking.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

3. Member
    Happened a few weekends ago to me but it was my water pressure gauge. I had taken it off earlier that week to blow the hose out because it had some mud in it. When I put it back on it split and I didn't see it or it did it while we were on the water. My dad said he noticed it before I did but I didn't notice till a few stops later when my foot was getting wet and when we got up and going water was flying all over my legs

4. Member
    Been there.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

5. Member
    Well my boat doesn’t have a speedometer and I had water running out the side of my console. There wasn’t a drain hole drilled like most people talk about, so I drilled one. My problem was that the speedometer hose was just rolled up and cable tied in a loop. I put a screw on the end and no more leaking water.

6. Member
    Been there. Now you know what it is :) Always something!

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186