Thread: Top Golf

Top Golf

There's one opening here in St Louis next month and the media buildup to this reminds me of when the IKEA was about to open.

I've never been to one. The thing seems more like a social gathering place with golf as the theme. From what I understand, you pay $20 an hour to rent a bay and you can hit all the balls you want. In comparison, at the 2 driving ranges I frequent, one is $5 for all the balls you can hit, plenty of places to hit off of grass, a chipping area as well. The other charges $12 for a large bucket, their grass area is only open sometimes but they have a practice bunker and a putting green.

I guess the question I have is for those that have tried them, there's a video board right in front of the golfer as they're hitting balls. Does this video have flight tracking capabilities? I was a member at a course a couple years ago that had that indoor golf thing for rainy days and during the winter. The ones that have all the famous courses, worldwide that you can play. I thought the golf course playing was a little cheesy, especially when it came to chipping and putting but if you ran it in the driving range mode it gave you lots of useful info on clubface to target line angle, ball speed, clubhead speed, ball spin rpm's, etc. It seems that might be the only redeeming reason why I'd bother to go to this place and spend that kind of money.

2. Member
    Haven’t been to the one 3miles from the house yet as I have made some good excuses to avoid it.
    the indoor golf was fun at a bar in Colorado. We reserved all three bays and played Pebble Beach on the simulator on Sunday while the tournament was live behind us on TVand we all drank a few beers with 18 inches of snow outside. We had terrific fun.

3. Member
    It's $50 (divided between players) an hour in Nashville, the video board is behind you in the bay. It tells your where your shot landed if you hit it into one of the "greens" or drove it to the fence. It's really fun. I went Monday night, actually. There are 8 or 10 different games you can play, ranging from most points, to a dart game of sorts, to my favorite "Top Pressure"... you get 20 balls and you play the red, yellow, brown, and blue flags. 5 balls at each "green" its basically a half pitching wedge, at the closest, out to about a 7 iron to the farthest. Your assessment of a social gathering with golf theme, is pretty accurate. Lots of beer is consumed.

4. Member
    I can't wait for the one in MI to open. It looks like a lot of fun to do with a group of friends.
    08 Triton 17 Explorer/08 90 Merc

" A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

Heard from several golfers that it was fun. Planning to head out there at some point, probably once some of the hype dies down and check it out.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    Heard from several golfers that it was fun. Planning to head out there at some point, probably once some of the hype dies down and check it out.
    Same here. Would like to give it a try.

8. Member
    It is a blast. And trufully dosnt have a lot to do with golf other than hitting a golf ball. You can win with a 7 iron. You just have to be accurate. It’s a great place for business. That’s the main time we go. But it’s very pricey so be prepared. Drinks and food aren’t cheap.
    but it’s lots of fun. Get there early and get up high.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

9. Member
    Topgolf is a blast. I play golf but have took a lot of people that don't play golf and they loved it!! I love going and if your a golfer you will have a better time than just being at the driving range
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

It isa good time, the balls have a chip inside them that measures the distance. The distances are about 5% off of a true club distance so be aware of that.
    Www.thkustoms.com

"Speak softly and carry a Big Stick!"-Theodore Roosevelt
    USN 2002-2008
    NAS Whidbey Island
    USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation Enduring Freedom