Question about the Flats

This summer I have started to poke around the Flats some and have had a little success. I have always had a fear of getting stuck in a low spot but was starting to get an idea of where I could go safely.

The rain and flooding coming down the Susquehanna got me wondering - do the ditches and low spots change, or are they consistent from year to year? I'm not asking about trees and stumps but the bottom contour.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

Things will change after this! Hopefully it doesn't devast things for years !! Not good at all

3. Member
    Here's what Pete Gluszek had to say about that issue:

“This has been happening for millions of years. That’s why the flats are there. It’s all siltation from up the river. What’s amazing is that a lot of the high spots and depressions stay consistent from year to year. I have waypoints from five years ago, and the ditches are still there now.”

https://www.bassmaster.com/pete-robbins/chesapeake-bay-comeback-plan

4. Member
    Sometimes they change...getting stuck on the flats is just one of those things that happens! Everyone who fishes the flats regularly has been stuck at least once lol
    2003 Champion 187 SC
    2003 Yamaha VMAX 150

5. Member
    Getting stuck on the flats is bad but hitting one of the huge rocks is worse. Stay near a marked channel when speeding unless you know the area.

6. Member
    HAS ANYBODY BEEN OUT THERE THIS WEEK ? WHATS IT LOOKING LIKE ??

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Getting stuck on the flats is bad but hitting one of the huge rocks is worse. Stay near a marked channel when speeding unless you know the area.
    I've been stuck out there before, that's part of it, but I've never heard anyone mention huge rocks on the flats.

Tom

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    I've been stuck out there before, that's part of it, but I've never heard anyone mention huge rocks on the flats.

Tom
    You need to be out there when the water is clear you'll see them.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBadders View Post
    Sometimes they change...getting stuck on the flats is just one of those things that happens! Everyone who fishes the flats regularly has been stuck at least once lol
    So what is the best strategy for getting unstuck?

Dont get stuck!!!!!!!! Ha and if you do make sure you are prepared for being out there until the tide gets high enough.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    So what is the best strategy for getting unstuck?
    Put your cell phone and wallet in the glove box of your dual console boat. If you have a partner have he or she do the same. Climb off the transom, tilt the motor all the way up, and push and rock the boat until it moves off what it was on. Get back in the boat and see if you can get under power. Go back exactly the way you got where you are.

12. Member
    You need to be out there when the water is clear you'll see them.
    Been out there on low water clear water dirty water and my gps map looks like an etch a sketch...pretty sure you just saw the algae ballooning off the bottom, it looks like rocks but it's just a big bubble. There are some logs out there, but no rocks that I know of.
    2003 Champion 187 SC
    2003 Yamaha VMAX 150

13. Member
    tilt the motor all the way up
    If you keep the motor down while drifting or using the TM, will you get hung up on the skeg first? Then if you raise the motor you would be free and can use the TM to get out the same way you got there.

Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    If you keep the motor down while drifting or using the TM, will you get hung up on the skeg first? Then if you raise the motor you would be free and can use the TM to get out the same way you got there.
    If your drifting or on the trolling motor you should be able to avoid getting trapped on the bottom out there. You will see it's too shallow and turn around.
    Most that get stuck end up that way from running out onto a very shallow flat. I know there are some good pictures of guys out there high and dry. LOL
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

15. Scraps
    Tougher to fish, but head out there at high tide to get a little comfort first.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD