Which of the 3 high performance boats is hardest to drive?

If you have driven Bullets, Allison’s and Strokers you are qualified to give an opinion one way or another. I’m curiouse why one guy or group of guys would claim this boat or brand is the best running. Keep it civil but don’t hold back if you have something relative and informative to add. I’m talking about a fully loaded boat ready to fish and not one stripped for speed only.

I have owned all 3 .. multiple models of the Ally's and Bullet's and one Stroker . I think if setup correctly they are all easy to drive once you learn. I went from a Ranger to a 2003 Ally ,, I thought that thing was hard to drive , but when I got the hang of it , it was like riding a bike . I think the Stroker is a lot more forgiving if you get out of shape , mine shut down a couple times above 90 and it veered but never tried to hook . It was also the fastest boat I have owned . But it did have a phase 3 hammer on it .Equal power , I think loaded the XB 21 would be very close. I pulled the kill switch on the 21XD I had above 80 once because the throttle cable broke, it was a very tame slow down also except for the wall of water over the stern .. LOL ..I am a fisherman , never ran any of these boats light or without a troller . Most of my junk is upfront for easy access. I would give ride and fishability to the XB 21 , I had a guy in my boat the other day that has fished with me in all 3 brands ,,, the 21 A , 21 B and the Stroker . We had been fishing about 30 minutes in some pretty swift water with the wind blowing and he commented about how stable the XB was . For the ride ,, I would go XB 21 , 21 XD,, Stroker, 20 XD . The 21 Bullet is nose high and was blown around more than the others but once you got used to it , it wasn't a big deal . Stroker fished good , but I hated the small rod box lids and the lack of storage compared to the other 2 . The middle box in the Stroker had a back in it stopping you from putting rods in it . Which was my plan when I bought the boat . The Stroker also hurt my years above 80 , it seems the clam shells dump the air there , may not be the case with everyone but it was for me .One other thing about the Stroker that bothered me was lack of flotation . I fish some pretty nasty water at times and it would always be in the back of my mind . I wouldn't not run from any of the boats listed tho.. They are all great machines and fish great .

The 21 XD fished great , its the only boat I have sold that I ever wanted back . Wet storage was my biggest complaint with it .

XB 21 has factory recess that the Ultrexx pedal doesn't fit and only has a spot for a small graph in the dash . But I do have a older model 2007 , so in their defense those things weren't around when the boat was built . I have no real gripes about this boat other than that . Wind protection is great in this boat , very nice in the winter ..

The Stroker I owned is in La ,, James has it . It is a nice boat , I listed the things about it I didn't like above . It fished great , had a very wide deck , and as I said above very forgiving at high speed ,, if you never ran a true performance boat I don't think you can appreciate how well it behaves when the bow drops .
    Last edited by mgeod; 07-26-2018 at 09:26 AM.

3. Member
    Great onsite MGEOD. you have been in a few boats too.

4. Member
    I have zero experience in the smaller Allys, Bullets, or Strokers. Only the xb21 and a wicked ASX. I've always thought the xb21 was forgiving, had my go into guardian several times over 90 and it just sits down straight and slows down. You do not want that to happen with the ASX.

Johnny Johnson

5. BBC SPONSOR
    I find the XB21 to be very forgiving, and very easy to drive. The XB21 fishes awesome as well. I have slung a blade in the 90's and she sat down nice and easy. Out of all of the boats we have owned, the XB21 is my favorite. I have been in a TON of different boats this year testing electronics and I will go out on a limb and say the XB21 is just as stable (if not more) at rest than any boat out there....one of the first things I notice is how tippy some of the big boats are.

I love a 21x Bullet, they ride great, fish good, and have a good layout. Wet storage is an issue at times. But the big 21'10" Bullet will get out there and ride with the best of them.....except the XB21, I give it the ride nod. But if I couldnt be in a XB21, I would be in another 21XRD Bullet without hesitation.

Ive never been in a Stroker, i do not like the small rod locker doors, and I feel storage is lacking when compared to what I am use to. I have came extremely close to buying a few and always back out because of the lack of floatation. They have a great following and very loyal owners but a Stroker is just not for me.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

Been lucky in my 21, no issues at speed so far

7. Member
    I will say right out front Ive never driven a stroker so no opinion on them from me . I will say they are fine looking rides for sure. As far as the Bullets and Allison's xb 21 I have had my fair share of seat time in the two .
    I will say if your coming from one to the other they run like there on rails . If your coming from any mass produced boat to an Allison or Bullet you'll have to learn how to drive either to ever reach there potential.
    I love the fishability of both boats and how there not sluggish on the troller like the fat boys are. Storage on both is fantastic and I personally have never had any dampness issues in either. Fit and finish is good on both but nod to the Allison . The ride is also fantastic in both boats but again nod to Allison.
    Fishing storage and fishibility I'm going with the bullet by a nose . All around looks and sheer badassness go to bullet but that's never been a surprise . They are number 1-2 on my list and I don't even know which is which. I have a bullet now but my next will be a bassport for sure.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kybluebullet View Post
    I will say right out front Ive never driven a stroker so no opinion on them from me . I will say they are fine looking rides for sure. As far as the Bullets and Allison's xb 21 I have had my fair share of seat time in the two .
    I will say if your coming from one to the other they run like there on rails . If your coming from any mass produced boat to an Allison or Bullet you'll have to learn how to drive either to ever reach there potential.
    I love the fishability of both boats and how there not sluggish on the troller like the fat boys are. Storage on both is fantastic and I personally have never had any dampness issues in either. Fit and finish is good on both but nod to the Allison . The ride is also fantastic in both boats but again nod to Allison.
    Fishing storage and fishibility I'm going with the bullet by a nose . All around looks and sheer badassness go to bullet but that's never been a surprise . They are number 1-2 on my list and I don't even know which is which. I have a bullet now but my next will be a bassport for sure.
    I think I remember the first Bassport you took out on a test run. Am I right?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    I think I remember the first Bassport you took out on a test run. Am I right?
    Yes you are correct Johnny . It was a chilly ride but definitely fun. And I've wanted one ever since.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kybluebullet View Post
    Yes you are correct Johnny . It was a chilly ride but definitely fun. And I've wanted one ever since.
    Shannon did Chris ever let you drive that day? LOL. He was hogging it appeared to me. ������

11. Member
    I have driven Bullet & a A.. Easy.

12. Moderator
    None of the three are hard to drive.
    All three have a learning curve.

13. Member
    I have had 2 Allisons and 2 Bullets.

In chronological order: Allison 2002 XB , had to learn to drive it coming from a Laser which needed to fly the bow. Motor was Merc 2.5 200 with Land & Sea nosecone and 10" rapid jack. The Ally ran great with less trim and I did have to learn to drive it because it was so different than the Laser.

Bullet 21 XD with same engine as the 2002 XB. Very easy to drive and great rough water boat. 10" Rapidjack

Bullet 20 XD Merc 2.5 200 EFI with Merc CLE gear case. Very easy to drive but CLE not as fast as a Bob's or Sportmaster. 10" Rapidjack.

Allison 2003 XB center steer like the 2002 XB ( bobsled tandem seating ) 225 Pro Max with Sportmaster lower unit. It had a total of 14" setback. Great boat and very fast. Drove like a dream and my favorite boat I ever owned. Decided to sell it as I was nearing retirement and needed to downsize for economy reasons.

Many people would preach to me that A boats and B boats rode rough because they were light. One ride in the Ally's with the long keel and the 21 Bullet would change their minds though.

I never had the pleasure of driving a Stroker but know they are very fast.

14. Member
    Shannon did Chris ever let you drive that day? LOL. He was hogging it appeared to me. ������
    Oh yeah, I got my turn at the wheel. I wasn't passing that opportunity up

15. Member
    In my opinion the Allison is a slightly easier boat to drive than a Stroker and Stroker is a touch easier than a Bullet. Talking 21’boats only as I have limited time in 20’ models. But Lee said, none of the 3 seem hard to drive to me.

16. Member
    In my opinion the Allison is a slightly easier boat to drive than a Stroker and Stroker is a touch easier than a Bullet. Talking 21’boats only as I have limited time in 20’ models. But Lee said, none of the 3 seem hard to drive to me.
    21 Allison easier to drive than a Stroker? You have my attention now.

17. Member
    I spent a afternoon driving a 21' 2+2/250xs/sporty. The owner wanted me to drive it so he could watch and learn. I was very caucious on engine heigth based on what I has read about the 20 footers so I didn't push trim or height. I floated my Stroker in the middle of the lake and got in Chets Alli. Drove like a dream, handled rough water great but with the 2 of us and full live wells it ran 80. Keep in mind that I hadn't driven this rig before and Chet hadn't gone that fast in it prior to that day. It did drive very easy but that being said so does my Stroker at 80. Chet was a great student and was able to handle his rig after that. He actually thanked me at the pre tourny meeting that night as he put up his best no's that afternoon once we found my Stroker. I have never been in a Bullet and that was my only time in a 21' alli. I'm sure that once you learn to drive any of them they are all very good to drive.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickwicked Basser View Post
    21 Allison easier to drive than a Stroker? You have my attention now.
    The difference is handling and driving in a busy lake. The Ally turns extrememy well on a dime, much like a jet ski at 50-60’ish mph, and most waves and wakes in the lake are nothing. You just mash the accelerator and zip right through them with barely a bump.

19. Member
    I've been in Johnny's 2+2 and was impressed with the way it handled. Not just wakes from head on but side to side it was very stable. My 21SS was a handful to learn. It seemed "twitchy" and handled much like a 2003 Allison. Once I figured out I was over steering the boat, It settles down much easier than before. The only time I got a Stroker out of shape was in a turn with too much trim. Other than that it was very easy to drive.