Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

BASS Elite on Chesapeake postponed

2. Banned
    After all the instagram videos....definitely not surprised.

Good call

4. Member
    I’m here and was excited to be marshaling. Disappointed but from what I heard from the pros today it’s pretty awful out there.

5. Member
    Bill Taylor would have sent them out there lol

I live North of the tournament site near the susquehanna river. We've had over 10" of rain since Saturday . It rain 3" last evening . There is a lot of water headed to the bay. Normal river level is 3.5, this time of year. NOAA is calling for the river to crest close to 19'. All that water is headed south
    BASS made a good decision to postpone.
    2016 RT 188

7. Member
    good call

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lilduckx3 View Post
    I live North of the tournament site near the susquehanna river. We've had over 10" of rain since Saturday . It rain 3" last evening . There is a lot of water headed to the bay. Normal river level is 3.5, this time of year. NOAA is calling for the river to crest close to 19'. All that water is headed south
    BASS made a good decision to postpone.
    We are holding it back in my neck of the woods...I have a 3 day tourny this weekend and and water I'm fishing goes directly to you

We got 5-7inches up here
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

9. Member
    Sounds like a good call.

10. Member
    I heard a couple of BASS Pros were here on the Eastern Shore in one of our local rivers Tuesday. That would be an almost 90 mile one way boat trip. I fished that same river Monday, but didn't catch the correct tide and only caught two bass.
    I fished a different local river yesterday with a slightly better tide and caught 6, and it rained like crazy. Even the stuff I had in my glove box got wet.

11. Member
    People unfamiliar with this body of water don't understand how massive this watershed is. All of the rain that fell between Syracuse, NY to Baltimore, MD and East of the Appalachians flows into the upper Chesapeake. Along that path debris (logs,etc.) gets picked up and swept downriver. In normal conditions the dams along the Susquehanna accumulate that debris and this gets collected and discarded. With the massive influx of water we have had in such a short period of time the dams would overflow so the flood gates get opened and there is no longer this sieving effect. Though the rains are slowing down, the delay in the wall of water heading South is going to only continue to make the conditions more dangerous. I was supposed to marshal the event and driving down to the meeting we drove over the I-95 bridge which is just South of the last dam and the debris field was as far as the eye could see. This was with 13 gates open yesterday. They are planning to open 16-20 gates this weekend as the water continues to rise. Add to this a full moon on Friday. This will raise the incoming high tide. So a wall of water trying to go out to sea and a full moon pulling more sea water in is going to cause a clash of forces of nature.

If they proceeded with the event I think you would have seen the loss of more than one lower unit. It really wasn't safe. BASS made the right call. Though I love fishing there is no reason to lose a life over it.

12. Member
    A guy at work said he read a good comment about it. They should load them up and go to a lake close by and let them go. No practice, just get out there and get after it.

13. Member
    So they let them waste all that money practicing just to cancel late the night before it starts. I’m not saying it was a bad call, but it could have been made sooner. I’d be pissed.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    A guy at work said he read a good comment about it. They should load them up and go to a lake close by and let them go. No practice, just get out there and get after it.

That would have been the ideal situation for sure.

They really should have canceled this at the beginning of the week. How much money has been wasted in fuel (boats and trucks), accommodations, food, etc.?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    So they let them waste all that money practicing just to cancel late the night before it starts. I’m not saying it was a bad call, but it could have been made sooner. I’d be pissed.
    ^^this^^

i was watching the weather from Texas all weekend and on Monday and Tuesday. Traveled here on Wednesday, and talking to the pros it was pretty clear that the conditions had been poor since Monday. It cost me a ton and I’m just marshaling - can’t imagine the lost expense of hotels, gas, and time the pros encountered.

It it seemed to me listening and watching, that some of the pros were catching a few and wanted to go, and some that weren’t wanted to cancel. Some of them are probably more effective at lobbying than others :).

That said - the real issue is massive amounts of floating debris everywhere. The likelihood of a Marshall or angler getting tossed by an impact was apparently significant. Still disappointed, but they made a good call. Albeit a day late though.
    Last edited by blakesfav; 07-26-2018 at 07:39 AM.

16. Banned
    Back in the day... ... Good call... Dan

My cabin is near the head waters, we crossed the Susky at Oneonta, NY going to the cabin on Friday, and looked normal, we had some pretty hard rain during the weekend, on the way back Monday it was up. With all rain in PA, its probably raging.

A few years back, a bad rain about this time, wiped out a section of Rt88 and 2 us mail semis fell in and killed the drivers. Much of the area bridges were wiped out. We could not get to our cabin from any direction that summer. Every approach was closed. Pray this does not become that bad.

Why wait so long. In my opinion they did the anglers dirty. All that fuel costs, lodging and traveling down the drain. You let them put themselves in harm's way to practice but cancel the day of all the while preaching saftey. That's some bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    omg. This would be terrible!! We have ZERO good local lakes to fish lol !!

Move them to Smith, Raytown? The Potomac is probably as bad, dad lives in Springfield, VA. He said it was coming down like a double peter bull on a flat rock ( His words).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast