Thread: AT&T

AT&T

Anyone biting on AT7T yet? I bought a 125 shares at 32.00 but may add some more if it heads under 30.00. The 6+% dividend yield looks pretty appealing provided they can make the Time Warner merger grow earnings.

2. Member
    I have quite a few shares that I have been holding on to. Even though it has been dropping in price for a while now, the 6% dividend is good for a retiree. You may want to look at Altria too (MO).

3. Joe4d
    Dunno I think as more rural people get broadband internet, Direct TV is gonna start tanking more and more. We just cut ours off as internet is supposedly coming by end of year. Not sure AT&T online coverage can compete with Netflix , Prime , Hulu, Google. Market is getting thick with streaming services. Plus Verizon is killing in the Cell phone coverage.

4. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I wouldn't buy T for the Time Warner merger. You buy T for what 5G will mean a few years from now. I don't think we can fully understand what 5G will do for society and VZ and T will be big winners from it. IMO
    Thanos was the hero

5. Member
    Just added 200 more shares today with it below 30.
    1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator 2013 Yamaha 150hp HPDI Vmax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinBee View Post
    Just added 200 more shares today with it below 30.
    I bought some more the other day at 30. Tough to pass on that yield. Are you reinvesting the dividend or just paying it out in cash?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    I bought some more the other day at 30. Tough to pass on that yield. Are you reinvesting the dividend or just paying it out in cash?
    That's a pretty ugly chart on the 1, 2 and 5 year time frames. The dividend is great, but I'm a little worried that it hasn't seen the bottom yet.

8. Member
    I reinvest all my dividends that allow it.
    1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator 2013 Yamaha 150hp HPDI Vmax

9. Member
    It’s down 23% YTD. That is four years of dividends, so is it really a good buy?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin08 View Post
    It’s down 23% YTD. That is four years of dividends, so is it really a good buy?
    If you bought it before it dropped a lot it isn’t. It only starting looking good though once it dropped 20 percent.

11. Member
    If you bought it before it dropped a lot it isn’t. It only starting looking good though once it dropped 20 percent.
    True, I’ve had my shares for about 7-8 years now. I’ll have to look at what I paid for them.

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin08 View Post
    True, I’ve had my shares for about 7-8 years now. I’ll have to look at what I paid for them.
    You may still be up. It was down around 25 back around 2011. I got some of those and then moved in more at around 33 a few years ago. Really debated getting out around 42, but I couldn’t find an alternative that worked better for my plan. Close to 7% dividend is hard to replace.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

13. Banned
    I prefer to purchase stocks of companies that are good at what they do. There's nothing that AT&T is doing that's very good. They've been betting on the fast internet and bundling to keep customers, however it's simply not happening.

14. Member
    I have been buying it and selling options. That 6% dividend is really good. Their earnings per share —EPS— looks good.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I prefer to purchase stocks of companies that are good at what they do. There's nothing that AT&T is doing that's very good. They've been betting on the fast internet and bundling to keep customers, however it's simply not happening.
    That's how I feel about my former employer - CTL. Even with a pretty nice dividend, I'm not sure I want any of that action.

I sold At&T because I have no faith in the long term health of Comcast ....

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

17. Member
    i bought 500 shares of At&t. dividend is just to good to pass up. Don't care about stock price as i have no intention of selling. reinvest all the dividends. stock goes up/down don't matter. just can't go wrong in my opinion. At+t is just a great stock with a great dividend. will be buying more.

18. Member
    I sold most of my AT&T back in February. I looked back in my records from 2011 and I bought the shares at $25. These high dividend paying stocks can cut the 6% anytime they want. The end result is you lose your dividend income, plus the price of the stock will plummet too. I experienced that with Kinder Morgan a few years ago. I took a pretty good hit in my IRA on that one.

I am now in that safe 10% exposure to stocks and bonds with the balance earning 2.75%. Sleeping well.