Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thanks- already made contact and it's headed up for review/revision. For others that might be reading- 8M0140580 Owner's Manual, Page #30 "Fuel Additives" is an error.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. mikesxpress
    Ok back to the main topic.

Any folks doing a repower with this V8 know that your dealer has to conduct the installation/setup to have the warranty. A couple things you will want to do for your benefit as well as the dealers:
    1. Remove ALL tie wraps in the service well that affix anything to the existing engine harness. The dealer is going to pull the crap out of that harness to gain the additional length necessary to hook it up at the back of this new V8 vs the front hookup on the Opti. Anything tied to that harness is coming with it!! You can tie it all back up later. If you don't do this you can expect pulled cables/hoses/etc.. that will create problems for you later.
    2. As with most Opti installs that are done on a boat with a Hotfoot, the shifter throttle cable is routed along with the shift cable, engine harness, fuel line, and Hotfoot cable. (+ is your 2 stroke oil hoses go away!) The shifter throttle cable end is left laying loose inside the lower cowling pan on the engine. This is NOT an option on the new V8! The cowling cable entrance is segmented for a set # of cable/hose entries with no more room for the shifter throttle cable. Only two options exist. Disconnect the cable from the shifter and remove (PIA), or pull the cable inside the service well and route it across the back with room for the end to move freely when the shift/throttle cable is engaged.

Trying to save you guys some grief based on experience. Send
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 08-29-2018 at 07:02 AM.

3. Member
    hey mike
    should I have it mounted same holes on JP. ? and do I still need wedges ? will it have same offset and trim range as my 2000 Optimax? I recall reading that v8 had prop set further back? so that would put prop higher when trimmed out ?

thanks
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

4. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    12many

transoms are not straight up and down. They have a degree negative tuck built in. With this in mind the farther you go back away from the transom the deeper the motor goes in the water. To over come this you have to use a jack plate to get the motor back to the same height as when it sat on the transom.

If these motors have a built in set back and a jp is not added then you will see a decrease in speed.

5. mikesxpress
    Ryan your asking some hull specific questions that would be better addressed in a separate thread maybe on the Nitro board? Conner's post answers some of it.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 12many View Post
    hey mike
    should I have it mounted same holes on JP. ? and do I still need wedges ? will it have same offset and trim range as my 2000 Optimax? I recall reading that v8 had prop set further back? so that would put prop higher when trimmed out ?

thanks
    Shouldn't be using wedges- engine direct to jackplate, and ONLY the engine on the engine mounting fasteners (no other objects or devices attached with the engine fasteners).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks don .
    I have wedges between hull and jackplate. I didnt know if new motor had greater trim range. so I could run without wedge.

I have lift ring to remove my optimax ,but dealer is Installing my new pro xs. so now is the time to change it.
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by 12many View Post
    Thanks don .
    I have wedges between hull and jackplate. I didnt know if new motor had greater trim range. so I could run without wedge.

I have lift ring to remove my optimax ,but dealer is Installing my new pro xs. so now is the time to change it.
    Its very easy to lift the new engines. They come with 2 lifting rings on the block & no special tool is required. Just a chain and hardware rated at 1000 lbs or more

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Actually, a sling is recommended (if using a chain or other non-approved device, be very careful so as not to damage components around the lifting rings).

10. Member
    Hey Mike, been watching this a while...how we doing on getting the actual perf numbers together...this thread has gone a lot of places, but I'm anxiously awaiting the info on the comparison to the OptiMax Bassed ProXS...
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

11. mikesxpress
    Michael I've been trying to get time on the water to get it thru break-in. I'm at 8.1 hours. I despise just riding around while the topwater striped bass fishing is so good now. Deer season opened and now we have hurricane Florence coming at us. I'll get the data as soon as I can.

12. Member
    Totally get that! B safe in this hurricane, and shelter that ride well, you’d be another 6 months to get a replacement if it gets damaged. Thanks again for all your posts and data sharing. I kind of figured you’d be like me and have the urge to in the water in every possible moment with that new toy.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

What happened here? Motor still running?
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

14. mikesxpress
    9.7 hours. Deer bow season opens this coming Sat. I'll try to finish up next week.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    9.7 hours. Deer bow season opens this coming Sat. I'll try to finish up next week.
    I don't know how you're standing it, not getting the hours on it.

I'd go mad trying to putt around getting the break-in done.

I can hear my wife now.... "Are we EVER going home?"
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

16. mikesxpress
    It's just a bathtub with a motor on it that keeps my ass from getting wet while I fish.

No rush.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    It's just a bathtub with a motor on it that keeps my ass from getting wet while I fish.

No rush.

Tell ya' what....

You can come jump in the deer stand down by the creek out back, and I'll put some hours on that puppy.

Last Sunday we were out at the new shop, looked down the hill, 6 down there, 2 bucks, 4 does. The dog barks at them pretty much every day!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

18. mikesxpress
    Thanks for the offer Tony. I've got plenty of nanas here. Just trying to find enough time to do it all is the issue.

19. Member
    I'm posting to keep this thread at the top, I don't want this to get lost in the shuffle. I'm very interested in the results and the thread seems to have gone dead. We hope you are able to post some apples to apples comparisons soon. The new engines seem to hold a lot of promise but all new engines get a lot of promotion. The proof is in the numbers. This is a a rare opportunity to get a real world comparison that removes all variables except the engine. Thanks in advance for very valuable information.

20. mikesxpress
    I should have time to finish this next week if the frigging wind will ever lay down.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast