Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. mikesxpress
    Thanks guys.
    Only thru 3.9 hours of break in so it's not ready for a comparison yet. The 1st 2 hours are the critical ones run at varied throttle up to 4500 rpms. Glad that's over. So far I'm impressed with the midrange acceleration and the engine is very quite when underway. Startup is much louder than the Opti. Chevy 396 with glass packs sound.
    I am having to re-learn everything from jackplate position to start and running along with trim position (movement is slower than the opti). The DTS shifting is going to take some getting used too as you hear nothing when it goes in gear.
    Not sure what it's doing inside but when I hook it up to flush it a high pitch growl starts up and continues till I'm done??? I do like the fact it generates 14.3 volts at idle.
    Current eval:
    New 24P 3 blade Fury (23 will be here Fri)
    84 degrees 87% humidity
    4" chop
    Sea level brackish water
    WOT 5950 rpms 71.7 mph
    Water pressure 30.3 psi
    The 23P should get the rpms up closer to the 6200 rpm mark. More seat time required.
    I did have to stop and catch a few for dinner

Last edited by mikesxpress; 08-09-2018 at 04:56 AM.

2. Member
    Absolutely beeeuuutiifull.

Quote Originally Posted by HalBrown View Post
    Absolutely beeeuuutiifull.
    What? The motor or Mike's hair?
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. mikesxpress
    Hey Kevin that's my 60 year old I don't care retired guy hair. Most guys that age don't have any hair left or what's left is all gray.

5. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    That hair! I thought Scot leant you his hat.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Hey Kevin that's my 60 year old I don't care retired guy hair. Most guys that age don't have any hair left or what's left is all gray.
    I hear you. I couldn't resist.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
    That hair! I thought Scot leant you his hat.
    I don't need Scott's hat.

That is one sweet rig you have Mike!! That new Merc looks bad azz

9. mikesxpress
    Propping update:
    25P is way to much for this engine on a 20'+ Ranger. (my Z21 Intracoastal) The V8 runs up to 6200 rpms. My target is 6150 and I'm getting close to completing the 10 hours of break in. The 24 3 blade Fury runs 5950 at 71 mph. The 23 3 blade Fury on now I'm still playing with. All PVS holes open give an adequate hole shot (without the use of my trim tabs) and it's hitting 6000 at 70 mph but I do need more time at WOT and seat time as my jackplate and trim settings are totally different from the previous Opti 250. I'll get that after break-in. Not to mention the operational characteristics of the Fury vs my Tempest+ 25P props I was running before are also much different as is the lower unit design. This is NOT a plug and play repower guys!!! It's going to take some time to tweek everything all over again. The folks that get these V8's on a new rig are not going to have an established operating format so it will be much easier on them.

10. mikesxpress

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12