Thread: Toad Rod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Toad Rod

I'm looking for a decent but on the inexpensive side Toad rod. I throw a Strike King Rage Toad around here and there and the rod I'm using is not really cut out for it. It's not a main bait I normally use, so spending $300+ isnt worth it for me right now. I mainly buy Loomis, and try to get into nrx's when I can. But not here. Before I buy an E6X just to stay in Loomis land, I thought I could get some suggestions here. Should I be looking for the same rod specs as a normal hollow frog rod? I was looking around a bit and found a few that caught my eye. Daiwa DX type LT frog 7'4" heavy fast for $119.99 TW exclusive rod. Dobyns Sierra mag heavy. either 7' fast $169.99, or 7'3" ex fast $179.99. Any suggestions of what others use for toad fishing, or if you own any of these rods, is much appreciated, thanks

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I throw a lot of Rage Toads on 5/0 Mustad 1/8 weighted hooks and I've thrown them on a lot of rods. The two rods I like the best are the Megabass XX Tour Versatile and my old Dobyns Savvy 735C. Both of these rods are a little lighter action than most "normal" frog rods, have pretty fast tips, plenty of backbone and are OK doing double duty as a frog rod. My regular frog rod is a Megabass XX Perfect Pitch and I think it's a little too stiff for toads.
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 07-25-2018 at 12:09 PM.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

3. Member
    I second the 735 dobyns rod or an iRod genesis II fred’s Magic stick

4. Member
    thats 2 on here and a bunch of suggestions on another forum. Dobyns wins. I bought it. Never owned a Dobyns before, excited for it to get here

I use a ALX Toadface

For Horny Toads I also throw it on various rods... Dobyns 734C or DX745HP, depending on cover mostly. Hollow Body Frogs step up to 736C, although I am trying a 705C currently as well.

7. Member
    Cabelas ZX SERIES has a frog rod that I love and it's on sale now. Their green handle series is also on sale and there is a frog rod in that seris also . Both are priced around $80.00 right now and should be made by Daiwa!

The ALX Rods VYRO Storm at $124.99 is a heck of a buy. We build it here in Aiken.

I'd also look at the IKOS Promise 7 or Promise 73 if the $150 price point doesn't curl your toes.

The ZOLO Toadface is a little high priced, but man... it's sweet.

9. Member
    I use a Savvy 734.

10. Member
    St. Croix Bass X 7-4 H/F - $99
    Tatula 7-4 Frog - $150
    Dobyns 735

11. Member
    I use the IKO's Promise 73 love this rod . i use it for frogs and swim jigs.

I throw toads and frogs with the same rod , 7'3 heavy Omen , original model , split grip. warranty ran out long ago , so if it ever fails it's going in the garbage. I'm sure almost any 7'3 or 7'4 heavy rod would work. Thinking about trying some of the Ark rods next time around. 13 Fishing's customer service leaves a lot to be desired , I won't ever deal with them again.

I prefer a longer rod like the Daiwa 7'4" frog rods. I would probably go with the Tatula XT frog rod instead of the LT you mentioned. The blank recovers faster and its crispness will make it a good choice. Obviously, it will not have the fast recovery of the Loomis NRX rods but at that price you cannot expect that kind of performance. That being said, it should work out just fine.

FLORIDA BOAT: 2016 Ranger 519, Mercury 225 Pro XS, Atlas 6" hydraulic jack plate, Motor Guide Tour Pro, Humminbird Helix 12SI Mega chirp on console, Helix 12SI up front, dual 8' power poles, livewell pumpout

LET US NOT LOSE SIGHT OF HOW FORTUNATE WE ARE TO ENJOY FISHING AND THE OUTDOORS! CATCHING JUST MAKES IT A BIT SWEETER!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post

The ZOLO Toadface is a little high priced, but man... it's sweet.
    Dont sell yourself short Alex! I think a $200-220 price point for the best frog rod on the market is s steal for any fisherman.

15. Member
    Get the ALX Zolo Toadface. It’s the best frog rod on the market and you can use it for many many more applications. Just a warning though, once you get it you may leave Loomis.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmac78 View Post
    Get the ALX Zolo Toadface. It’s the best frog rod on the market and you can use it for many many more applications. Just a warning though, once you get it you may leave Loomis.
    jeffmac78 sums it up perfectly. All I threw for years was GLX's, now I don't own 1. And had a bunch of them. All ALX rods and a bunch Toadfaces. It's an amazing rod for so many different things

17. Member
    Toads and Frogs are different
    I use my steez xbd rod for frogs but for me its too stiff for toads. I looked around for a toad rod and the H3 heavy from kistler is great.

I've used a lot of rods for toads but found that I prefer the dobyns 804c (yes a 4 power carolina rig rod) to be the perfect toad rod. Tons of power in the mid and lower section with a softer upper 1/3 of the rod. It seems to allow them to eat it a little better than a traditional frog rod yet still has power to pull fish out of slop.

Another vote for the Toadface!

20. Member
    Falcon Cara Amistad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast