Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is 3/4 Ton enough ???

Need opinions please. Is 2018 3/4 ton SRW Diesel Ford Super Duty or Chevy Duramax enough truck to safely pull 35 foot fifth wheel camper weighing 11,000 lbs. with 2100 lb. pin weight ??? Anybody do this, would love to hear your opinions and experiences.

2. Joe4d
    The rating is there, but usually you get up to that size you start seeing Dual RW though. Thats a pretty good sized trailer, also I imagine that is dry weight. So add cargo, water batteries etc. But MFG Says you are GTG with the Chevy 2500 SRW You only have about 1000lbs of load to play with,, which I think includes the people,,

3. Member
    At that length I would opt for a dually, the weight isn't my primary concern in this scenario but rather maintaining control and stability while traveling. The vehicles you listed will definitely pull it but you will have to expect that during heavy traffic or heavy winds that the trailer will get pushed around, a lot! With that being said the dually is by far more stable and reduces the amount of side to side movement which makes towing much easier and a lot less stressful. If you are only traveling short distances or staying off the interstate then the SRW will be fine, but if you are planning on traveling from state to state or across country then the dually would be best. Either way I hope that you enjoy your truck and camper!

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    If you're hauling a family and loading the truck with gear you'll probably go over the GVWR and rear axle on a 3/4 ton SRW but you should be fine on a 1 ton SRW. I'm towing a 42 ft 5'er that empty weighs 13,900 lbs and has a 2700 lb pin weight with a 2018 F350 4x4 SRW 8' bed diesel and with a loaded trailer attached I'm close to the GVWR (11,500) and about 400 lbs under the rear axle (6780) limit. I'm the only one in the vehicle (my wife is in her vehicle towing the boat) and with a full tank of fuel, def, me, the 5th wheel hitch and 100 lbs of stuff, my truck weighs 8280 lbs (3500 on the rear axle).

I went SRW because this truck is also my daily driver and I didn't want a dually just to tow a trailer 6-10 days a year. I've had no issues towing the trailer so far with the SRW but I got the 8 ft bed to get some more stability. I'm still way under the GCWR of the truck (28,700) and it barely breaks a sweat cruising along at 65 MPH.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

5. Banned
    That is exactly the weight of my fifth wheel, and I am using a 3/4 ton diesel. My rig didn't have too much kingpin weight to make the truck squat, however I did add rear air bags anyway. I would say that I am max 'd out, however.

If you are going to be hauling ultra long distances or in mountains, to for a dually. Otherwise, go for a 1 ton single rear wheel--which would probably have to be a special order. The puck mounting system would be preferred.

6. Banned
    Go with a 1 Ton SRW,if you not wanting a DRW

7. Member
    thanks, appreciate the help.

We pull a 40' Columbus 5th wheel with an 06 F250 from Arkansas to various spots along the gulf coast twice a year, plus other trips closer to the house. You'll be plenty comfortable with the setup you inquired about. Common sense is your best friend. Drive under 65 and arrive alive.

9. Member
    My son's '11 SRW F-250 has 2550#'s available on the rear axle when it's loaded up with fuel and enough tools to equal the weight of a wife and kid.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

10. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Safely pull, yes. Payload?? um. . . you may be on the edge. A F250 may squat pretty good. Add at least 500 lbs after you fuel up, add a 150 lb hitch, and add a bunch of chairs, clothing, food, gear, etc. to your trailer storage. Also consider the weight capacity of the tires. Go to RV.net and peruse the forums for more info.

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 520TDY View Post
    Need opinions please. Is 2018 3/4 ton SRW Diesel Ford Super Duty or Chevy Duramax enough truck to safely pull 35 foot fifth wheel camper weighing 11,000 lbs. with 2100 lb. pin weight ??? Anybody do this, would love to hear your opinions and experiences.
    No but a Ram would be. Lol

The 1 ton SRW would be a marked improvement in towing stability. However, the downside is everyday ride quality not loaded down. It's a cost vs. benefit decision for you.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

13. Member
    We pull cattle trailers and equipment trailers (gooseneck and bumper pull) on a regular basis. I have a 2007 dually Duromax with a utility bed and a Bluetooth air bag set up. My son just bought a 2018 Ford F-350 diesel long bed SRW. His truck unloaded rides like a Cadillac and pulls loaded like nothing is back there. I am very impressed with his truck. He gets great mileage (18-20) empty and (10-13) loaded. The loads we pull are upwards to 20,000 lbs +. Ride quality has definitely improved on the newer heavy duty trucks.

14. Member
    Go Ram! Not the fastest truck off the line but the torque is really nice...the dually would be my choice if it were not up to the dollars and having to use it as a daily driver for my construction business...I have a 2016 2500 with the Cummings and love it. I tow my dump trailer at 10000 lbs...my boat at 4000 lbs...my enclosed trailer at 8500 lbs...and my travel trailer at 10000 lbs fully loaded loaded (not a 5th wheel) all with ease but not across country...if your truck is only used to pull the camper, then go with a dually...

I pull a 38’ Redwood with a gross weight of 17,800 iirc with a “09” Duramax drw. I wouldn’t want to pull it with a srw truck but could without much to worry about. My “09” rides very good empty. A buddy just bought a 2018 GMC 4 door 1/2 ton that doesn’t ride any better than my 1 ton. To me, bigger is always better pulling.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

I’m not a Ram fan, but if I were to be n the market for a new puller I would have to give Ram a hard look
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

you can get used to the Ram part,,it's the cummins and dana power train that's the best deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by high 2 View Post
    I’m not a Ram fan, but if I were to be n the market for a new puller I would have to give Ram a hard look

18. Member
    I pull my 42’ 5th wheel at nearly 14,000 with a Ram 2500 I have air bags on the rear though but it handles it like a champ.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

Ford would be boarder line Chevy no way , get a dual wheel .

20. Member
    My two buddies pull that size camper with 3/4 ton diesels with no problems. one has pulled his over the Rockies with no problem with his 2016 GMC. There are always some who think it takes a Kenworth to pull a red wagon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast