Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talon users, ponder this

Have you estimated the amount of time you use your talons compared to the other items on your boat? For me I use my old style 8’ Talons far less than my trolling motor, electronics, live well pumps and the outboard. I am sure others use theirs far more than I do. I do use them at times and during one tournament this year they were critical in holding my boat during high winds. With the wind at my back, I used them to hold me while fishing a reed bed. I’d fish down with the wind using the talons and would turn and come back into the wind using the spot lock on my Ultrex. Great combination that day and finished 7th in a state B.A.S.S. qualifier.

Here is where I am going with this. My original pair of talons were 6 years old. One started making all kinds of noise 2 years ago. Grinding and squealing... I tried all the tips in the manual and even called repairmen and Minn Kota for ideas and it never improved. So I found someone that was selling their 8’ talon and replaced my bad one. Now this last weekend at a local club tournament the current talons, both of them started acting up. One will go down and won’t retract but keeps trying with a loud click-click-clicking sound. It takes several tries and several minutes to eventually have it fully retract. Did this sequence several times. Then the other talon will only go down 3’... three blue lights. It would retract fine .. Every time I tried, same results.

I will try all the tips, flushing etc and see if I can get positive results. Now, going back to my comments in the first paragraph, it hit me that the amount of time I use these talons VS all the other items on my boat, all the hours outboard running to spots, lowrance units on all day, livewells on all day, 8-9 hours on my ultrex...the longevity of the talons in comparison is not good at all.

I have a buddy that thinks the vibration while trailering or while running in rough water could account for the short operation life I have experienced.

What have you experienced?

2. Joe4d
    more gadgets the more crap to break,,, no thanks.. KISS.
    Really ,, go look at some older tournament results,,, No big improvements in weights or numbers despite all these gadgets

3. Member
    One reason I got the 15s is because I knew if I went shorter I wouldn't use them as much. I use mine all the time and really even more than I thought I would. If i only had 8s i would feel like they were a waste because they would hardly get used besides loading and unloading

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    One reason I got the 15s is because I knew if I went shorter I wouldn't use them as much. I use mine all the time and really even more than I thought I would. If i only had 8s i would feel like they were a waste because they would hardly get used besides loading and unloading

On my 8’ talons The boat will somewhat twist around slightly because the talons flex, I was curious if the 15s would be subject to this but more so because of the added length, do you have that issue?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    more gadgets the more crap to break,,, no thanks.. KISS.
    Really ,, go look at some older tournament results,,, No big improvements in weights or numbers despite all these gadgets
    I think there is more truth to the “more gadgets the more issues” rule than most realize. That is how I am feeling at the moment.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpangle View Post
    On my 8’ talons The boat will somewhat twist around slightly because the talons flex, I was curious if the 15s would be subject to this but more so because of the added length, do you have that issue?
    It does twist, especially when they are way out. Never past 90* and it takes a decent amount of wind to do it. When I know it's going to twist I will just go up and turn around so they are in the back.

7. Southern BAMA Bassin
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    It does twist, especially when they are way out. Never past 90* and it takes a decent amount of wind to do it. When I know it's going to twist I will just go up and turn around so they are in the back.
    I have 2011 model talons 8" on my skeeter. If I hadn't gotten such a good deal, I would not have them. For less money, I could have spot lock but not sure I would do that either. as they say " a fool and his money" are soon parted.

Sorry for your issues on the talon, but to correct your initial post, every light indicates 2 ft of deployment, not one foot.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

9. U.S. Navy, Retired
    I have one 12' Talon on my Tracker 175TXW. Had it for 4 seasons now. After 2 seasons I had to take it into the shop for a bolt that had vibrated loose and would not allow it to retract at all. While in the shop they replaced the whole outer assy. due to the paint chipping. Unasked for but service ruled! Now to the point: I would NEVER be without a shallow water anchor again, be it a Talon or PP. They are invaluable in launching and takeouts. Obviously they are excellent at holding you on spot, no matter the weather/wind/chop, etc. Nothing like sitting upwind of a rockpile and not worrying about drifting into the rocks. Got a favorite lure tight on a log? Just lower the SWA and take your time getting it out without drifting over your line. Wanna sit and re-tie? and too shallow for your TM spotlock? yep, drop the SWA. In the middle of a weedbed and want to pitch/flip some holes? Drop the SWA. OK, I'll stop, point is made and ya'll have most likely been in these situations. I fish a lot of Canadian lakes which are shallow, rocky and weedy. Perfect for a SWA. Yes, I have to take some WD40 to it every couple of days due to squeaking from grit on weeds but it's worth it. The SWA's are indispensable for the way I fish. In other words; some folks don't get much use out of them, others use them all the time, it's just up to each person to decide for themselves if they are worth the money, maintenance and, sometimes, trouble.

10. Member
    Have twin 12s. I have a lot of tools in my toolbox that may not get used in a year but it's nice when you have the right tool for the job.

11. Banned

You need to talon down with the wind at the BACK of the boat... of course youll twist if there is a wind or current and the SQUARE back of your boat isnt pretty much getting that wind on it.

I use my 10' anchors as much as my livewell pumps if not more.

I use my anchors more than 1 billion times more than my bilge pumps but I'm not going to go without them!
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Keystone Caster View Post
    Now to the point: I would NEVER be without a shallow water anchor again, be it a Talon or PP. They are invaluable in launching and takeouts. Obviously they are excellent at holding you on spot, no matter the weather/wind/chop, etc. Nothing like sitting upwind of a rockpile and not worrying about drifting into the rocks. Got a favorite lure tight on a log? Just lower the SWA and take your time getting it out without drifting over your line. Wanna sit and re-tie? and too shallow for your TM spotlock? yep, drop the SWA. In the middle of a weedbed and want to pitch/flip some holes? Drop the SWA. OK, I'll stop, point is made and ya'll have most likely been in these situations. I fish a lot of Canadian lakes which are shallow, rocky and weedy. Perfect for a SWA. Yes, I have to take some WD40 to it every couple of days due to squeaking from grit on weeds but it's worth it. The SWA's are indispensable for the way I fish. In other words; some folks don't get much use out of them, others use them all the time, it's just up to each person to decide for themselves if they are worth the money, maintenance and, sometimes, trouble.
    I had my single 8' Talon off last week while working on some jackplate tuning.
    I COULD NOT WAIT to get that thing back on. The boat was naked without it.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    Sorry for your issues on the talon, but to correct your initial post, every light indicates 2 ft of deployment, not one foot.
    The original 8’ talons I have have 8 dots that light up for every foot they deploy. If each dot accounted for 2’ that would indicate I was down 16’ but that isn’t the case with the 8’ talons. See photo...
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Member
    Update from original post. I’ve removed the 8’ two talons and the brackets... now have three non-working talons in the garage. Have gone out a couple times and have not missed them - YET. I do have a minn Kota ultrex/spot lock and have used it to keep me on points and it helped with catching fish in 12’ of water. The ultrex was used to hold the boat while culling fish or tying up. Also used to hold the boat unloading and loading at the dock. I am sure when the time comes to work a bedding fish I will miss the talons.

I had the talons long before getting the ultrex. I may get new talons or switch to power poles at a later date but for now I am happy just using the ultrex. If anyone were to ask me which they should get first, an ultrex or talons I would say 100% to get the talons first.

The original 8’ talons I have have 8 dots that light up for every foot they deploy. If each dot accounted for 2’ that would indicate I was down 16’ but that isn’t the case with the 8’ talons. See photo...
    Sorry thought you had the newer style.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

17. Member
    I don't have Talons but I do have Power Poles and no I'm not here to tell you Power Poles are better or worse. The only time I really use my Poles is when I drifting and hook a fish I Power Pole down to prevent drifting into fish which is a big asset or to re-tie. I don't like to really use them when fishing unless nessasary because weather they are Talons or Poles they all make some kind of noise. I still would not be without them.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernerbass99 View Post
    I don't have Talons but I do have Power Poles and no I'm not here to tell you Power Poles are better or worse. The only time I really use my Poles is when I drifting and hook a fish I Power Pole down to prevent drifting into fish which is a big asset or to re-tie. I don't like to really use them when fishing unless nessasary because weather they are Talons or Poles they all make some kind of noise. I still would not be without them.
    I know what your saying but we catch more fish when we put the talons down and just let the area settle rather than staying on the trolling motor. We use them offshore to as long as I can get to about 14' within a cast we do that instead of staying on the trolling motor.

So, i just ordered a set on Dig In Anchors. Mount the Standard Motor Mount bracket in less than 10 mins. Slide the 10' fiberglass pole thru the slot into the bottom and you are set. Use the spot lock to keep the front in position. Best thing going for 350 bucks! I wont buy talons as most of lakes i fish are too deep for them anyway. This should be perfect for the coast or sight fishing on bedding fish.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

Got twin 12's use them all the time!
    2019 BassCat Puma FTD, Honda 250, Croxton Razor 4XL,Garmin Force, Power Pole Blades & Charge, Atlas JP, Ionic 36v Lithium, K2 Energy Lithium NoCo GenPro10x1, All Garmin Electronics with PanOptics LiveScope

jefflhoman.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast