Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Limited Test Result: Allison XB21/250R

Thanks to SANDERSON MARINE (LEE) for ordering my V8 250R, rigging, testing and delivering on time without any delay. Lee went above and beyond to accommodate and deliver as quoted. For that, I'm grateful. Also, I want to thank Johnny Maxwell, Joe Ally, Tim Powell and Geoff Ericson for taking of their time testing this engine.
    I'm am pleased with the 250R engine. It runs great and I’m grateful to everyone mentioned above for their help. Congrats to Mercury Marine.
    Good Luck,
    Woody

Boat: Allison XB21XST
    Engine: 2019 250R 1.75 Sporty
    Testing: Wheeler Lake (North Alabama) 90-100 degree Temps,
    29 hydromotive: Hole shot was good with very minimal bow rise. Mid range good and top speed result was 89.50/6180 r
    28 Promax: Hole shot was good with more bow rise. Mid range was great and top speed was 87-88.?/6180 rpm at or on the limiter (6200).
    30 Performer P4: Hole shot was good with same bow rise as Promax. Mid range was good and top speed was 90.80/6100 (?) rpm.
    32 Performer P4: Hole shot was good with same bow rise as Promax. Mid range was good for a 32 pitch prop and I think the top speed was 88-89(?)/5700-5800.
    0-85 Test: I wont list individual numbers with listed props, however, the 28 promax was 2 seconds quicker than said props.
    Data was logged with full fuel tank and fish load with 3-6 hours on this engine.
    Last edited by Woody22; 07-27-2018 at 03:26 PM.

What tournament trail are you planning to fish that regulates HP to 250? Very hard to pass up on the 300R!

FYI for anyone interested...This came straight from Mercury Racing:

"The 250R and 250 ProXS share the same powerhead and midsection. The only difference is the gearcase. The ProXS is fitted with the Torque Master. The 250R comes equipped with the surface piercing Sport Master. The Sport Master is designed for use on lighter weight hulls with natural bow lift and capable of speeds in the low 80s. If your boat needs power trim to raise the bow – go with the ProXS. You are going to love the enhanced bottom end torque and acceleration!"
    Last edited by bassmasterffej; 07-24-2018 at 01:09 PM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    What tournament trail are you planning to fish that regulates HP to 250? Very hard to pass up on the 300R!

FYI for anyone interested...This came straight from Mercury Racing:

"The 250R and 250 ProXS share the same powerhead and midsection. The only difference is the gearcase. The ProXS is fitted with the Torque Master. The 250R comes equipped with the surface piercing Sport Master. The Sport Master is designed for use on lighter weight hulls with natural bow lift and capable of speeds in the low 80s. If your boat needs power trim to raise the bow – go with the ProXS. You are going to love the enhanced bottom end torque and acceleration!"
    Not for sure at this point. Thanks FYI. My mistake, I should have just ordered a Pro XS and put a sporty on it. Would have saved myself money and got a 5 year warranty.
    Good luck,
    Woody
    Last edited by Woody22; 07-24-2018 at 06:36 PM.

4. Member
    300R
    Last edited by Johnny Maxwell; 07-24-2018 at 07:16 PM.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/new-v-8...ast-efficient/

Question/Answer section at the bottom of the page...Mercury representative was a Mr. Rick Mackie...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/rickmackie

There is also some good info regarding the 300R vs the 300 Pro XS V8 on that page...

6. Member
    It was a blast to drive!
    Last edited by JOEALLY; 07-24-2018 at 08:12 PM.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

Hopefully this is legible
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (23.2 KB, 654 views)

8. Member
    Last edited by Johnny Maxwell; 07-24-2018 at 07:14 PM.

I'm not saying you aren't correct in your assessment but one would think that the Senior Marketing Manager at Mercury Racing would know and could clearly explain the differences between the "R" motors and the "Pro XS" motors...That is marketing 101...

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    I'm not saying you aren't correct in your assessment but one would think that the Senior Marketing Manager at Mercury Racing would know and could clearly explain the differences between the "R" motors and the "Pro XS" motors...That is marketing 101...
    250R
    Last edited by Johnny Maxwell; 07-24-2018 at 07:10 PM.

11. Member
    Johnny, Mercs Q&A is regarding the NEW V-8 250 ProXS 4 stroke & the NEW V-8 250R 4 stroke.

12. Member
    Lololol I told the guys at Mercury using the ProXS name on the new 4 strokes would cause a lot of confusion. I also don't understand why they are calling the new gearcase a Sportmaster, when we were testing gearcases last Winter it was being called a "Bull Shark".

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    Lololol I told the guys at Mercury using the ProXS name on the new 4 strokes would cause a lot of confusion. I also don't understand why they are calling the new gearcase a Sportmaster, when we were testing gearcases last Winter it was being called a "Bull Shark".
    That Bull Shark title is aptly named Paul. The lower is the basic shape of a Sporty but looks like it has been eating steroids. ������

14. Member
    250R
    Last edited by Johnny Maxwell; 07-24-2018 at 07:08 PM.

15. Member
    Last edited by Johnny Maxwell; 07-24-2018 at 07:07 PM.

16. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody22 View Post
    Let me begin by thanking SANDERSON MARINE (LEE) for ordering my V8 250R, rigging, testing and delivering on time without any delay. Lee went above and beyond to accommodate and deliver as quoted. For that, I'm grateful. Also, I want to thank Johnny Maxwell, Joe Ally, Tim Powell and Geoff Ericson for taking of their time testing this engine.
    I'm am very pleased with my engine. It runs great and I’m grateful to everyone mentioned above for their help Because I and everyone mentioned above has firsthand operated it.
    I like everything about my 250R and will never look back and very excited about the future of this product. Congrats to Mercury Marine.
    Good Luck,
    Woody
    Thank you Woody for giving me the opportunity to test out the 250R on your Allison, and for the kind words. No fault of your's, wish I would have had more time to play with it.
    To others reading this, Woody is a great guy, he told me to take the boat and take my grandson fishing using his rods, reels, and tackle that were in the boat, and to run the boat all I wanted. I wish I would have had the time to take him up on the running the boat part, I wouldn't think of using his fishing equipment. I'm no expert with any of that, although I'm really good at getting lures out of trees and making spider webs out of fishing line.

I am totally impressed with the performance of the 250R on the 21 Allison. I ran Woody's boat with an out of the box 30p Promax with all solid plugs. Woody had the boat loaded as he fish's, I had 50 lbs of ballast and a half tank of gas, the hole shot by myself was an impressive 2-seconds without excessive bow rise. With a second person @ 200 lbs and all the weight still in the boat, the hole shot was still very good at 3 1/2 to 4 seconds with a little more bow rise but not excessive.
    The break-in is pretty easy, run it a max of 4500 rpm's or 3/4 throttle varying the rpm's every 2-minutes, then wot for 1-minute every 10-minutes for the first two hours. Then do not run at wot more than 10 minutes at a time for the next 8 hours.
    I ran it up a few times with the second person, all the weight, and the prop shaft even with the bottom to a little over 86 mph at just under 6000 rpm's. With the engine raised, the speed and rpm's would be a little more of course. It was also very hot and humid which hurts the performance of any engine, on a cool day, a higher pitch prop would be in order.
    The big 400R style Sportmaster handled great even that low in the water. Again, very impressive as I was concerned the extra near 3/4" diameter and much thicker skeg would cause handling problems, not a problem at all thank goodness. As far as hard turns and the feel of the boat, there were no ill effects at all.

Thanks again Woody

Johnny...Why did you go back and edit/delete everything you posted? I didn't even get a chance to read your responses...

18. Member
    Very nice I’d love to run one of those v8s

19. Member
    I think Woody can speak better about how his motor ran and performed than I can. After thinking it over I felt it was the right thing to do to not make any statements. I had a great time driving his boat and running the engine. I may be selling my 300 and going the same direction.

20. BBC SPONSOR
    I would like to thank my friend Woody for the opportunity to spend a tremendous amount of time behind the wheel. The new engine is quite nice! Easy shifting, awesome sound, drives perfectly, and LOVES to be ran extremely high for a Allison!

I will be putting a 300R on my Allison, but I am holding out for a higher gear. I like to go fast

Not sure what all was said, but the 250R was a delight!
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast