Grand Traverse Bay, Suttons Bay area 8/3 to 8/11

Heading up to fish 8/3 to 8/11, first timer going with some other folks who have been up several times before. Anyone willing to share a fishing report of the area for smallies?
    Planned on fishing the drops with a tube, drop shot and spybait for starters.
    2006 Champion 196 Mercury 200 Optimax

2. Member
    Heard they all went belly up in the bay.

3. Member
    Some feller from Missouri came up and sore mouthed every one....heard he was a Gambler enthusiast....
    2006 Champion 196 Mercury 200 Optimax

I'd fish inland - elk, torch, walloon, intermediate, charlevoix.

Dropshot, tube, hula grubs. If theres some wind a crank, spinnerbaits or rigs

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
    I'd fish inland - elk, torch, walloon, intermediate, charlevoix.

Dropshot, tube, hula grubs. If theres some wind a crank, spinnerbaits or rigs
    Any particular reason you’d stay inland? Just curious, because I have always done well up there in the bay this time of year.
    Last edited by LOZ; 07-28-2018 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling

just a little easier to pick apart for a first timer. There's a lot to learn to be successful up there and a lot of water to sort through. Aug fishing has always been really good for me on those lakes also, but you can just drop a trolling motor and start chucking/winding and get into them.

not an expert on the bays, just my experience when i was a newbie up there dealing with late summer fish

7. Member
    Cool, I thought I was missing a hidden treasure on the inland lakes. I am actually going with Champ on Friday, and have been going for the last 5 years. The first two years were definitely learning experiences.

drop shot is your friend on the bay. you cannot go too deep. 25' visibility in the water so start there.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

9. Member
    Hey guys, heading to Michigan later. week. Gonna spend 2 days in Traverse City, 2 days on Mackinac Island, and 2 days on the Upper Peninsula before heading back to Missouri. Im not bringing my boat, so I'm asking if any bank fishing opportunities for smallies? I know how clear the water is, soIm wondering if a waste of time from the bank? Would use a guide for one day, but am already doing a salmon charter and dont want to pay for another day. Any suggestions? Thx much.

Might try casting west bay bryant park or east bay the state park beach. Might be some bank runners. The tail race in elk rapids holds a few. things are pretty limited from shore though

http://tcbassdestinationcharters.com/
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

11. Member
    thx for the info Mr. Derickson