Jack plate mounted crooked

Hey guys have a stratos 99 21ss with a 225opti and hydraulic jack plate with 2 talons. Been having some serious handling issues and thought it was just drag from the talon brackets so I tilted them in a bunch and noticed that the whole engine is mounted crooked. It leans to the passenger side about 1/2" or a bit more and has been like that since jack plate was installed a few years ago (got that info from previous owner). Any tips on how to fix this? I'm pretty good with my hands and hoping my engine hoist will be high enough to lift the Opti off the back.
    2018 Nitro Z21

I'm better than you
    http://www.facebook.com/vincent.hytry

Good luck, I've seen several boats like this... My buddies Stratos 201 Evolution is like this. But no handling issues..... Has been like this since mounted...
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

Well I got the engine off the back tonight with the hoist and used the Dremel tool to connect two of the JP holes together to allow it to slide down a bit on one side to even it out and not drill new holes in the transom. See how it works and if it doesn't I'll just get a new plate.

4. Member

Be nice to have some input

6. Member
    I am wondering if it is going to put the plate in a bind and cause problems raising and lowering. Just a thought.

It sounds like the mounting holes are square to each other but tilted to the port side - if I understand what you are saying. If it were me I might look into having the jackplate holes welded up and redrilled (crooked or course) so that the engine sits correct on the transom. I am not sure what someone would charge for something like. You would have to pay the welder and machinist. It might be cheaper to see is you could get one undrilled or maybe just the transom part of the plate undrilled. It would depend on who made the plate you have.

Just throwing out some option. Not sure if they are good ones or not.

Might be best to pull the jackplate off the transom (since you have access to a lift), and remount it square and true. That will mean potentially drilling new holes, filling the old ones, and re-sealing new mounting bolts... but it would be done right and you'd have peace of mind knowing it is all square and plumb.
    Plus you'd get the chance to verify transom has no rot (assuming there's wood in it).

8. Member
    It's not the jack plate, it's the Jack Wagon that drilled the holes in the transom. Measure down from the top of the transom and you will find your problem.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

Mine were off too. I ended up making a new drill jig with 9/16" holes. Re measured, re drilled existing holes bigger using template. Inserted aluminum sleeves with 1/2" ID. Worked great. Tip is to use a drill press for template.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

10. Member
    Interesting, my 2007 201PXL is the same...is it intentional? Mine was sold new from C&O marine....you would think they would have got it right...