What prop? 98 evinrude 200

Hi i recently purchased a 98 hydrasport 205 with a 98 evinrude 20. Model # e200stlece serial# g04400418. It has a 22 raker II on it now. Problem is i cant get it to plane out. It has a hydraulic jack plate. I have tried different setting when it finally does go over it runs good. I cant give rpms gauge not working. I have always ran mercs and my 225 opti had a 25 pitch. Should i go with a 4 blade to get it to plane. Boat weight is 1650. Thanks for any help
    QUIT WISHING AND GO FISHING🐟
    08 skeeter I class 08 yahama 250 98 HYDRASPORT 205 98 EVINRUDE 200 to many other boats to list

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    First thing would be to get the tach working. Not many folks I've heard running a Raker 2 on a carbed motor, that prop came out when the Etec made it's debut. I ran an original Raker on my carbed 150 and 200 HP motors, when I put my 225 HO on I went to 25P Tempest Plus. You need to play with your motor height, maybe bottom it out and raise it up as you come out of the hole?

3. Member
    I tried lowering motor down and raising. The prop did seem small i have been reading all the post on getting the tach working by what to check volts and wires. I will see this weekend. Do you think a 25 would be better
    08 skeeter I class 08 yahama 250 98 HYDRASPORT 205 98 EVINRUDE 200 to many other boats to list

4. Member
    Plus when i bottom out jack plate and trim motor out. Just as its about to plane over it loses it bite and i have to pull throttle back and start over

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Try setting your prop to pad at 3 3/4" and run it without adjusting the plate.

6. Member
    I will try that too!! Will that prop be good that is on there

7. Member
    Sounds like the props blowing out. It’s to small for your motor but you can fill the holes with epoxy to stop it from blowing out. A 24 raker or a 23 or 25 renegade is probably what you need.

What is happening when you try to get it on plane? Is it spinning real good and then blowing out just as you start to break over? Does it struggle to get spinning fast enough to get you on plane? Please explain what is happening when you try to get on plane.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

9. Member
    Sorry been busy. As i start to get on plane which takes forever just as it about to fall over it blows out have to start over can put wife in front of boat and it will fall over and plane out. If she sits in seat good luck getting it over the hump

10. Member
    It seems to be spinning real good. Just downloaded manual to get tach and everything working. When it runs down the water it only showing 50 mph per gps. I am thinking its under proped. I have found someone here in ohio going to let me try a 23 pitch 4 blade to see if it works better. I know on the merc 225 i had it was turning a 25 4 blade. I like the 4 blade better for hole shot

Quote Originally Posted by kc152977 View Post
    Sorry been busy. As i start to get on plane which takes forever just as it about to fall over it blows out have to start over can put wife in front of boat and it will fall over and plane out. If she sits in seat good luck getting it over the hump
    If it's taking forever to get on plane with a 22P then you have something else going on. Could be many things but start with compression check. Is the motor a Carbed motor, if so make sure the butterflies open all the way when full throttle. Could be the prop is completely jacked up. Hard to say but I seriously doubt a 23 will fix your issue.
    I do think a 23 4 blade is the right prop or possibly a 24 but your motor needs to be strong and set up correctly.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

12. Member
    Butterflies open up all the way compression is 105 all the way across. Its carbed new fuel lines new filter. Motor runs great. New link and sync. New cam roller new thermostats. Just will try prop and update after sat hopefully he is off work to try

If it turns out to be the prop then I believe I have a prop that will be a good fit for your rig. It's a 3 blade 24P. Just let us know how things work with the test prop and we will keep trying to help you get it figured out.

14. Member
    Well my voltage regulator went bad. I am ordering a new one for it to put on so prop testing is off till i get it fixed