1983 Cajun Grande Bateau repower

Just purchased an 83 Cajun. However it does not have an Outboard. It’s the largest model available that year, running 20ft with 90 in beam. NADA guides has it listed as 1200lbs. What would be a good recommendation on horsepower for repower, 150, 175, 200HP? I am not looking to be the fastest rig on the water type setup, but something I can turn into an enjoyable fishing machine.

The biggest it's rated for and you can afford.

3. Member
    It’s rated for 200 but you can get decent performance with a newer DFI 150 if you’re not concerned with speed,just have to prop it for a good hole shot. I say DFI because they have more bottom end torque than older carbed engines,better hole shots. That should be a mid 50’s boat with a 150.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyotaBassin88 View Post
    Just purchased an 83 Cajun. However it does not have an Outboard. It’s the largest model available that year, running 20ft with 90 in beam. NADA guides has it listed as 1200lbs. What would be a good recommendation on horsepower for repower, 150, 175, 200HP? I am not looking to be the fastest rig on the water type setup, but something I can turn into an enjoyable fishing machine.
    You say that today, I have found in almost all cases your attitude will change in that regard.
    I think it would very hard to justify a new motor for that age of boat, I think would be wise to look for a well maintained 200 optimax that you can verify hours and service history, be sure yo can check it out on the water to make sure it running right and then have good mercury tech put his blessing on it
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Have you had the transom checked out for rot, I'm sure that year boat didn't have an all composite transom...…?

Quote Originally Posted by Garfish View Post
    Have you had the transom checked out for rot, I'm sure that year boat didn't have an all composite transom...…?
    Would be the smart thing to do before buying a motor...….Good Point
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Pat Goff
    Ditto the transom.
    If it's a Travis boat, it's just a plywood transom, very suspect.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

8. Member
    Yes the transom will need serviced as well as stringers. Boat will get a full restoration in the coming months. Don’t really want to replace with new plywood. I have been researching Seacast. Any positives or negatives with going this route for transom replacement?

9. Pat Goff
    I generally never call anyone's baby ugly.
    You're talking about spending a lot more money on something that'll never be worth more than the motor hanging on it.
    Cajuns of that vintage are not admired for their build quality. Replacing a transom AND stringers is a hefty job, and then you're gonna need to replace the plywood decks and floors, and then and then and then.
    Appears from here you're looking into a very deep and very dark hole.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>