Thread: optimax help

optimax help

I am at work tonight and forgot to bring my serial number with me and can post it tomorrow if need be. I have a 2004 250 pro xs. I had an issue with water in the fuel, bad batch of gas, and drained the tank. While I was doing that I changed the fuel line from the tank to the motor as well. The motor starts up fine and will idle all day. I can take off just fine as well. Once I am running, about half throttle to all the way throttle, the motor bogs down and I have to get out of the throttle and then get back in it to get the motor back going again. It feels like a fuel delivery issue but I am not a pro in any sense of the word and really don't know. I noticed the motor kinda cutting out before when at WOT, before the bad gas deal. It felt like it was hitting the rev limiter but it never bogged down like it is now.

Again I am not an expert by any means. Could it be air? Could it be the tps? What should I check? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Member
    Perform a TPS sweep test.

3. Member
    10-4. Is that something I should bring it in for or is that something I can figure out how to do? Oh and thank you for the reply. Very much appreciated.

4. Member
    Also you have opened up the VST and made sure there's no water or crap in there? And that the filter there is not crudded up and being too restrictive?
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

5. Member
    I have not. I just got the filter removal tool in yesterday but I'm working nights until Wednesday. If I can get up a little early I am going to pull the filter and open it up. It does feel like it's starving for fuel when it bogs down. I can stay in the throttle and it wont do anything except get off step and plow. Get out the throttle for a couple seconds and gets right back up. I've been lucky over the years and haven't had too many issues. I just hope this ole girl can go another couple of years so I can get these kids out of school and get me a new one. Thank y'all for the help. I will definitely be able to jump on it Thursday morning when I get off work.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by padura View Post
    10-4. Is that something I should bring it in for or is that something I can figure out how to do? Oh and thank you for the reply. Very much appreciated.
    Dealer has to perform TPS sweep test.

7. Member
    Mine did that one time and it had a cracked fuel line under the cowling. It was obvious though because it was leaking fuel.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I do not see that you replaced the fuel filter, and drained/flushed the VST and remainder of the fuel system to remove water.

Also, when you drained the fuel tank, what method (and from what POINT in the system) did you use to drain the tank?

The fuel SUPPLY line is NOT a suitable "drain".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    I am changing the filter Thursday. I've been on nights and have tonight and tomorrow night before I get a couple off. I did use the fuel supply line to drain it. I am going to get a pump to pump it all out Thursday morning as well. I am going to pull the VST Thursday as well. I only pulled the lines off but never opened it up. I've been looking up everything y'all are telling on youtube so I can go and actually do the work. Thank all of you for helping out. I will report back Thursday on what I find.

10. Member
    I wouldn't trust You Tube, use a Genuine Mercury Marine Service Manual.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I wouldn't trust You Tube, use a Genuine Mercury Marine Service Manual.
    +100!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Member
    Problem with using the supply line is that it will not completely empty the tank. The fuel pickup can't be tight against the bottom of the tank, otherwise it would be too restrictive. If you have access to the tank sending unit, best bet is to park on an incline where the bow and one side of the boat is high. That will cause everything in the tank to go to the rear corner on the low side of the tank. Now use whatever thing you have to suck the fuel out. IE a turkey baster + tubing will work well. I would then follow up with a quart of rubbing alcohol which will suck up any remaining water. Again clean it out with the turkey baster and tube. Now the fuel tubing (and primer bulb) need to be drained and cleaned if trash was introduced with the suspect gas. On to the VST and filter.

BTW with care, you can remove the VST filter with a flat bar or screwdriver. I also bought the tool "just because"... :)
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

13. Member
    Thank all of y'all. I didn't think about a turkey baster. My last night to work and then I have a few days off before I go to day shift so I am going to get this thing right hopefully this weekend. How hard is it to take the vst apart to clean it out?

14. Member
    Easy.

15. Member
    Well did everything that I was able to do and still have an issue. Brought it to my mechanic and have my fingers crossed it’s not anything major.

16. Member
    Ok it’s been a little while since I posted and I ended up bringing her in to the shop. Got the entire fuel system gone through and finally got to get back on the water. Gonna have to call the shop again because the motor is doing the same thing. Takes off great, starts to wind out and then just loses power. Get out the throttle and get back in it and she turns on up and then the same thing. It’s driving me nuts. Thanks for all the help. I don’t know it he did a tps sweep or not but gotta ask again, could a bad tps cause this? Computer didn’t show anything as far as I understand. I just want my motor running right so I can go fishing.

also noticed that in neutral can’t rev the motor. It stumbles and stuffers but when I put ii in gear it doesn’t do this.
    Last edited by padura; 08-14-2018 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Adding info

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Should NEVER apply throttle unless it is in the water and in gear, GOING somewhere.

Do not rev in neutral- doing so causes faults.

You stated entire fuel system gone through... SPECIFICALLY what all was done?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You stated entire fuel system gone through... SPECIFICALLY what all was done?
    And by WHOM?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax