Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Folding Cleats replacing standard Tracker cleats

I posted this in the TIN Boats section but it should have gone in this NEW TRACKER Section. Thread: Folding Cleats replacing standard Tracker cleats
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

This the kind I put on my boat. Got them off amazon. And they work great. Haven’t snagged a line, or broke a rod since.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

3. Member
    What sizes are you guys ordering off of Amazon?

Quote Originally Posted by Ship View Post
    What sizes are you guys ordering off of Amazon?
    Those in the pic above are 3.5 long and 2-14” wide. Those measurements are at the base.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

5. Member
    The Whitecaps I used are about 4.5" long and probably 2.25" wide.
    https://www.amazon.com/Whitecap-Indu...whitecap+cleat
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    Humminbird Mega360

Quote Originally Posted by joe3buck3 View Post
    I posted this in the TIN Boats section but it should have gone in this NEW TRACKER Section. Thread: Folding Cleats replacing standard Tracker cleats
    Seen the pics on your other post and those are really sharp. I like those alot and looks like they have a curved shape to match the top of the rail. Did they include all the hardware needed?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Seen the pics on your other post and those are really sharp. I like those alot and looks like they have a curved shape to match the top of the rail. Did they include all the hardware needed?
    The base of these cleats is flat not curved just like the original cleats which were flat on the bottom as well. The curve of the gunnel top is very slight and using the neoprene gasket effectively fills any gaps.
    These cleats do not come with any hardware. I doubt that I could have used anything pre-packaged since the installation is pretty unique. All that is needed for this Tracker application are 2 rivnuts(1/4-20) and two 1 1/8" stainless steel oval head machine screws.

This was my first experience with rivnuts (short for rivet nuts). I used stainless steel rivnuts but have also ordered some aluminum rivnuts to try. The stainless steel worked great but in my opinion were very difficult to work with. That might just be my inexperience but I will have a report on the aluminum rivnuts by the end of the week.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Humminbird Mega360

I’ll be switching mine out for these.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

9. Member
    The Whitecaps I used are about 4.5" long and probably 2.25" wide.
    https://www.amazon.com/Whitecap-Indu...whitecap+cleat
    Slight correction on the Whitecap measurement. 4.65" long by 1.75" wide. Here are a couple of additional pictures:
    Old cleat sitting on top of the Whitecap cleat.

Port side cleat installed showing how much of the original rivet holes are exposed when the cleat is in the up position.

Starboard side cleat with a slightly larger neoprene gasket completely covering those rivet holes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Humminbird Mega360

10. Member
    This was my first experience with rivnuts (short for rivet nuts). I used stainless steel rivnuts but have also ordered some aluminum rivnuts to try. The stainless steel worked great but in my opinion were very difficult to work with. That might just be my inexperience but I will have a report on the aluminum rivnuts by the end of the week.[/QUOTE]

My aluminum rivnuts arrived today and they are much easier to use than the stainless steel. The aluminum are plenty strong so in the future I will most likely use aluminum for most applications.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Humminbird Mega360

Very sharp! This is definitely a needed upgrade to all Tracker boats.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

The base of these cleats is flat not curved just like the original cleats which were flat on the bottom as well. The curve of the gunnel top is very slight and using the neoprene gasket effectively fills any gaps.
    These cleats do not come with any hardware. I doubt that I could have used anything pre-packaged since the installation is pretty unique. All that is needed for this Tracker application are 2 rivnuts(1/4-20) and two 1 1/8" stainless steel oval head machine screws.

This was my first experience with rivnuts (short for rivet nuts). I used stainless steel rivnuts but have also ordered some aluminum rivnuts to try. The stainless steel worked great but in my opinion were very difficult to work with. That might just be my inexperience but I will have a report on the aluminum rivnuts by the end of the week.
    No kidding. Man looks like it fits it perfect. I tried another set of fold up cleats but they didnt sot very good on the curve the gasket wasnt thick enough. I think this is on the to do list havnt done much to the boat in a long time lol.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

13. Member
    Ive been needing some fold downs, but would love to find something that can use existing holes. Previous owner put two more cleats that look identical to the stock Tracker ones in the centered between the stock locations, my brother while disembarking the boat into the water, beads of water on the rail and wet feet, his footing slipped and the cleat punctured through the side of his foot, it was pretty gnarly.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

14. Member
    My aluminum rivnuts arrived today and they are much easier to use than the stainless steel. The aluminum are plenty strong so in the future I will most likely use aluminum for most applications.[/QUOTE]

Did you use a rubber piece under these by chance? If so what type of rubber did you use. Would like to do this to my Tracker.

15. Member
    Did you use a rubber piece under these by chance? If so what type of rubber did you use. Would like to do this to my Tracker.[/QUOTE]

I used some 1/8" thick Neoprene gasket material I had on hand for another project. I purchased a 1 foot square sheet of 1/8" thick black neoprene off Amazon last year for an air compressor gasket and had lots left over. This stuff has come in handy for several boat related projects and it very inexpensive. The 1/8" thickness is just right for these cleats. Just trace your cleat outline and cut it out with sharp scissors or a razor knife.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Humminbird Mega360

16. Member
    Thanks to a couple of PM's to Joe I finally had time to install my fold down cleats from his idea. I used the same methods as he did and seemed to turn out pretty good. I did have 1 rivnut not want to cooperate but with the use of a hack saw I was able to correct the situation.

Excuse the chipped paint, that is the next thing to tackle.

2005 PT 185 Special Edition
    60hp Tracker Marine
    80# Minn Kota Terrova
    Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv
    Garmin Echomap Plus 73cv

Quote Originally Posted by BDPIL View Post
    Thanks to a couple of PM's to Joe I finally had time to install my fold down cleats from his idea. I used the same methods as he did and seemed to turn out pretty good. I did have 1 rivnut not want to cooperate but with the use of a hack saw I was able to correct the situation.

Excuse the chipped paint, that is the next thing to tackle.

ok now I do have to change mine out . These are sweet

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

18. Member
    Actually it was pretty easy to do. Using the Rivnuts was a good idea but was challenging not having the tool to use them properly. Joe sent me a video off YouTube using a bolt, washers, and wrench and it worked out pretty good. The one I messed up on I tightened to much and caused the holes not to line up quite right and I forced the screw down and the rivnut broke loose. Had to use a hack saw to cut the screw and put in a different rivnut on and made sure I didnt do it again.
    2005 PT 185 Special Edition
    60hp Tracker Marine
    80# Minn Kota Terrova
    Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv
    Garmin Echomap Plus 73cv

19. Member
    The Tournament Edition models now have fold downs from the factory.

20. Member
    How are these holding up for the folks that swapped them out? Looking to order some as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast