3 Weeks to fish Michigan (or where ever!)

Thought I'd try this forum to solicit ideas for my first post-retirement excursion. Live in western Ky, have a bass boat, a pickup, and a truck camper. With the emphasis on fishing, not driving or sight seeing, where would you go? How long would you stay in each area? Gotta be back around 20Aug.

I cant wait for the suggestions. This reirement freedom is almost overwhelming!

2. Member
    Bump

Sturgeon bay, escanaba, burt/mullet, travese city area. I would stay anywhere the fish are biting, but travel in that order if i was in your very fortunate position! Have fun and be safe!

4. Member
    Traverse City area has several options from the bays on Lake Michigan to several smaller inland lakes. As you go north from TC there is Elk, Torch, and Skegemog lakes. Continue north and there is Lake Charlevoix and Walloon. As you keep heading north there is Crooked, Pickerel, Burt, Mullett, and Douglas. If you venture to the U.P. there are lots and lots of inland lakes that offer large and smallmouth. Most of the bays of the Great Lakes offer great smallmouth fishing but the weather can sometimes make those areas unfishable. Heading back below the bridge the Alpena area, Tawas area, Saginaw Bay, Houghton Lake, Higgins Lake, Lake St Clair, Port Huron areas all have great fishing. You literally could do a tour around the state and fish great fishing. There are a lot of fishing opportunities in southern Michigan as well that I'm sure some of the southern members will chime in with to help you out as well. Good luck and safe travels!

5. Member
    Start at Lake Erie and stay at East Harbor State park and then head to Lake Michigan.

6. Member
    I would definitely head to Northern Michigan...Great scenery and awesome fishing..You can pretty much pick how you want to fish that day because the lake selection is almost limitless..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_ProStar21XL View Post
    Traverse City area has several options from the bays on Lake Michigan to several smaller inland lakes. As you go north from TC there is Elk, Torch, and Skegemog lakes. Continue north and there is Lake Charlevoix and Walloon. As you keep heading north there is Crooked, Pickerel, Burt, Mullett, and Douglas. If you venture to the U.P. there are lots and lots of inland lakes that offer large and smallmouth. Most of the bays of the Great Lakes offer great smallmouth fishing but the weather can sometimes make those areas unfishable. Heading back below the bridge the Alpena area, Tawas area, Saginaw Bay, Houghton Lake, Higgins Lake, Lake St Clair, Port Huron areas all have great fishing. You literally could do a tour around the state and fish great fishing. There are a lot of fishing opportunities in southern Michigan as well that I'm sure some of the southern members will chime in with to help you out as well. Good luck and safe travels!
    This is an excellent itinerary...
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

8. Member
    If I had 3 weeks, I would start on St. Clair and work my way North.

I would Hit St. Clair and head to Saginaw bay from there. After Saginaw, I would keep heading North to the Alpena area and fish Thunder Bay, Long, Grand etc. Keep going north to hit Burt, Mullet, Black, Douglas. Then finally we head around the tip of the mitt and head south to the Traverse City area. East, and West Bays, Elk, Leelanau, Crystal, Glen, Torch, on and on and on.

Wow.... I might have to figure out how to get 3 weeks off. I may dial back on the Great Lakes portion if you have a smaller boat.

9. Member
    I'm plotting it out now. Thanks guys. Leaving Friday. I'll post along the way. Really appreciate the MI/BBC brotherhood.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailhooker View Post
    I'm plotting it out now. Thanks guys. Leaving Friday. I'll post along the way. Really appreciate the MI/BBC brotherhood.
    Kewl... Keep us updated and we may be able to help on specific lakes as you go..
    Zinn

Awesome, cant wait till the day i myself plan a trip like this! Keep us updated!!

12. Member
    I'm envious! Listen to the guys above, they hit the nail on the head. I'm sure you'll hit LSC, I would chose a weekday that the weather is favorable. Avoid it during high winds/weekends. Keep us posted on the trip.

13. Member
    St. Clair, Grand Traverse, Big Bay de Noc are all destination fisheries. Burt/Mullet too, but it fishes poor in the summer. I would really like to puddle jump all the little lakes in the UP, there's no telling what you could find up there. Stupid fish, and lots of variety.
    -Matt

14. Member
    The small UP lakes, especially as you head West are definitely some hidden gems if you find the right ones and find one you can get your boat in on.