Coral low speed and rpms..

My fishing partner has a 202 coral, 225 opti , 8 inch jack plate (2.5 below pad) NEW 24 pitch tempest plus
    only turning 5450 rpm and 62 with one guy and 59 with 2 (not heavy weights)
    Tried a new 25 tempest plus and rpm goes down to 5300 and speed the same.
    The rpms and speed seems low for this boat.
    how are you other guys set up?
    2002 Triton 190 FS , 200 EFI, 25 tempest plus, Garmin Force, Garmin 10 Ultra sv, LVS 34, 2 Garmin UHD 93sv

2. Member
    I would say you are set too high on the jackplate. Are you still getting good water pressure there? How high is your rooster tail at WOT and trimmed out? It should only be roughly at the top of the cowling. I suspect his is higher than that. Most Cobra/Corals like to run somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.25 to 3.75" below the pad. I would try to lower the jackplate and see what you get. You might also try a 4 blade Trophy. These boats are heavy and run very flat. The 4 blade provides good stern lift and could help your speed.

3. Member
    The 4 blade made a big improvement on lifting the hull up on my Coral. I'm battling elevation for my WOT. Now that I'm dialed in I will have to get some numbers. I just go by sound and feel.
    2000 Viper Coral 202/225 Pro Xs
    Ghost, HDS Lives, etc, etc.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsh4fun05 View Post
    The 4 blade made a big improvement on lifting the hull up on my Coral. I'm battling elevation for my WOT. Now that I'm dialed in I will have to get some numbers. I just go by sound and feel.
    What prop and pitch? Looking to improve speed on my Coral. 65mph with a 225opti and 25p Tempest plus.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    What prop and pitch? Looking to improve speed on my Coral. 65mph with a 225opti and 25p Tempest plus.
    Depending on setup (jackplate setback, amount of weight in the boat, etc.) either a 24" or 25" Trophy Plus would be the place to start. I have also heard some good things about the Turbo TXP-OT4 on these boats but have never run one. What kind of RPM's are you getting with the Tempest? I would not look for a huge improvement in speed over what you are getting now but the handling and overall performance could get better with the 4 blade.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OverRHeads View Post
    Depending on setup (jackplate setback, amount of weight in the boat, etc.) either a 24" or 25" Trophy Plus would be the place to start. I have also heard some good things about the Turbo TXP-OT4 on these boats but have never run one. What kind of RPM's are you getting with the Tempest? I would not look for a huge improvement in speed over what you are getting now but the handling and overall performance could get better with the 4 blade.
    5550 loaded. Not sure my tach reads right though. It’s an old analog. 9” jack plate set to 3.5 p-p. 20psi water. Tried 3” p-p and it didn’t like it. Rpms increased but never hit the limiter which was weird since my tach said 6450. I running around 15% slip if I remember right from my last calc. Prop could probably use some Croxton attention. 4 batteries and a heavy motorguide 36v troller.

7. Member
    5550 loaded. Not sure my tach reads right though. It’s an old analog. 9” jack plate set to 3.5 p-p. 20psi water. Tried 3” p-p and it didn’t like it. Rpms increased but never hit the limiter which was weird since my tach said 6450. I running around 15% slip if I remember right from my last calc. Prop could probably use some Croxton attention. 4 batteries and a heavy motorguide 36v troller.
    With the numbers you are getting with the Tempest and the weight in the boat you are doing pretty good. Your RPMs could stand to come up though. I would either try a 24" Tempest to get closer to 5800 RPMs (should be your max on that motor) or a 23" or 24" Trophy. The benefit of the Trophy is that it provides stern lift which should help with the extra weight in the rear with the 4 batteries.

8. Member
    With the numbers you are getting with the Tempest and the weight in the boat you are doing pretty good. Your RPMs could stand to come up though. I would either try a 24" Tempest to get closer to 5800 RPMs (should be your max on that motor) or a 23" or 24" Trophy. The benefit of the Trophy is that it provides stern lift which should help with the extra weight in the rear with the 4 batteries.
    More than the tempest? Interesting as most suggested the tempest for stern lift on that boat. Maybe I should quit chasing a number and deal with the performance. It’s not slow per se.

9. Member
    More than the tempest? Interesting as most suggested the tempest for stern lift on that boat. Maybe I should quit chasing a number and deal with the performance. It’s not slow per se.
    As a general rule, three blades (Tempest) are more known for bow lift especially if they have a good bit of cup in them. Four blades are more known for stern lift which in turn somewhat lifts the whole boat. These boats run FLAT!!!! I have tried a few different 3 Blades hoping to get the bow up. I have been successful but gained no speed by doing so.

10. Member
    My apologies. You’re right on the bow lift. Not sure what I was thinking. My brain is shot due to the fire ripping through my home town in California right now that has displaced my dad and other friends and family. I haven’t slept much in a few days.

11. Member
    My apologies. You’re right on the bow lift. Not sure what I was thinking. My brain is shot due to the fire ripping through my home town in California right now that has displaced my dad and other friends and family. I haven’t slept much in a few days.
    No problem man! Really sorry to hear about your family dealing with the fires. That is a terrible situation out there. Prayers going out to you and your family.

12. Member
    No problem man! Really sorry to hear about your family dealing with the fires. That is a terrible situation out there. Prayers going out to you and your family.
    Thanks man, appreciate it.