Question 1998 Mercury 2+2 115 SERIAL- 0G664958

Having issues with motor sputtering and not going above 2000 RPMS when its warmed up and been running about 10-15 minutes when my boat has 2 people on it with all my gear. And when I try to get on plane with 2 people I get a strong gas smell from exhaust. Gets up past 2000 RPMS by myself and on plane but it still sputters a little bit at 2K then goes up. Replaced stator, rectifier, and fuel filter with no change in performance. My next thing was maybe power packs? I was going to have a shop look at it but now they are out for another week and I want to see if i can dig into it myself and save some money if its something I can fix myself. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

2. Member
    check fuel pump diaphragm and boost pump diapram
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Okay thank you. Ill look into it

Quote Originally Posted by IAm4DaKing View Post
    Okay thank you. Ill look into it
    The secondary coils are not getting power had this happen to my motor . Follow the linkage and find the button that it contacts with the motor running push the button the rpm should increase if not you have a short.

5. Member
    interesting, DAVE would this button you speak of be on the boost pump
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

I don’t remember where it was located . My boat is in the shop right now so I can’t look.

7. Member
    Thank you. Ill see what I can do

8. Member
    So my shop rebuilt the accelerator pump diaphragm and checked carbs out put new needles in and they all look good. My next step is testing the CD modules which are coils I believe. And I'm also going to replace fuel pump diaphragm.

9. Member

10. Member
    Replaced fuel pump diaphragms tonight. Old ones are in fine condition. So thats ruled out for any issue. I have a feeling its more of a fuel problem than an electronic issue. Tomorrow gonna test CD modules so that will help me

11. Member
    I have a 1997 Mariner 115 2+2 (ser:OG498217) on a 17' aluminum. It has been flawless for me since I acquired it in 2002. I removed the outboard last winter to complete transom replacement. I just got it in the water 8/18 and the motor stated up great, idle fine, and runs flawlessly up to about 2K rpm. I can bury the throttle, but nothing additional from the engine. Throttle cable adjustment is good, has spark, has compression, prop hub is good. Figure I'll start with the carb rebuild.

12. Member
    hey Ben might want start new thread on your engine JOE