Converter / Charger Question..

Good Morning..I lost power to all my 12 volt systems in our 2003 Forest River Flagstaff 25 over the weekend..The unit is parked and never moves...I rely solely on incoming 110 from a designated source...I removed the converter and figured out it went south on me...So I have ordered a replacement..My question is do I have to have a working chargeable battery in line for my 12v to function?...We bought this trailer already permanently parked on a small lake lot..It was purchased new and towed to the lot at that time..it has never moved and I believe the battery is the one that came with it...I will get another...But does it have to be inline for my systems to operate? Appreciate everyone...Brian.

2. Member
    No, the converter by itself will send 12v to the proper circuits once you get a new one installed and also charge the battery. The 110v comes in, goes through converter and gets converted to 12v and goes out to the 12v circuits that are wired in line to it. The battery is there to give you power to the 12v stuff when you don't have shore power. However, if the battery is that old I would not want a charge circuit going to it so I would disconnect it and tape the leads up with electrical tape until you can get a new one. That old of a battery could have some major issues. Make note of the wire colors and which one goes to what post on that battery. Often times there will be a white wire that goes to the ground and a black wire to positive but they are not always like that. We get used to seeing red and black on batteries but campers can be different.

Thanks..I already have it disconnected and sealed up...mine are red and white...While going thru everything (breaker panel..breakers..power cord and fuses..I found that the feed wire for the main breaker had never been inserted into the lug on the breaker..the lug was tightened up but the wire missed the hole..the bend in the wire caused it to just make contact on the bottom of it and by the looks of it had been creating a lot of heat..(copper is discolored) no insulation burned..perfect continuity between the exterior plug and the breaker and all the breakers check out.. so I guess I dodged a big ole bullet...ALSO...Please tell me that the T-Stat for my heat and air is low voltage and controlled by the converter...This confirmation will bring about big smiles from my other half...

4. Member
    Yes the wall thermostats for HVAC are 12v controlled so you can use heat even if you have no 120v source.