2017 521C Autobilge: Runs 1.5 Seconds. Off 1.5 seconds. On 1.5 seconds. Repeat

Hi everyone.

I've scoured the web and BBC for a similar situation and haven't found a conclusive outcome. So, I'm asking if anyone on this board has seen something similar / same.

First, when the cutoff switch is in the Off/Charging position, the pump still cycles off/on as stated above. When I switch the cutoff to run and fire up the keypad, the blue light on the left side keypad bilge button turns off and on in conjunction with the bilge pump. The key pad will activate both pumps in manual mode if I push it twice... both sides light up and both pumps run. Push the button to turn off manual power and it still cycles and lights up. When I disconnect power to the autobilge pump, obviously it stops running AND the keypad light doesn't light up either. I believe it's an issue with the pump, but I'm not sure.

Let me know what your thoughts are on this. I walked by the boat after 1 hour tow and the pump was cycling off and on.

Thanks in advance!

Jay

2. Member
    Float switch is sticking.
    Probably an electronic switch as it's cycling on/off.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

3. Member
    Thank you! That was my thought. I'll work with it and see if we can get it unstuck/fixed OR buy a replacement and just swap it out... unless someone else has a recommendation?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    Float switch is sticking.
    Probably an electronic switch as it's cycling on/off.
    I’m not too sure about this,usually when an auto switch sticks the pump runs constantly. It sounds to like an issue with the key pad.

I was having the same problem. Long story short, I switched to a group 31 battery and it solved the problem.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    I’m not too sure about this,usually when an auto switch sticks the pump runs constantly. It sounds to like an issue with the key pad.
    The pump runs on/off/on even when the main power is off and the key pad is disabled. When I turn on the main power and enable the key pad, the light blinks in a manner that matches the pump power cycle. I can't imagine it's a key pad issue since the pump runs when the pad and power are off.

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    The auto bilge is wired so that it will run even when the keypad is shut off. When the keypad is activated and the pump comes on, it is supposed to activate the blue light on the pad, which apparently it does. Why the pump continues to cycle intermittently, with no water present in the bilge, I have no idea. Since you are fairly close to either Knox Marine or Dixie Marine, if I were you I’d ask for their help or advice. Mike Steele is a whiz at wiring (Knox), but I believe Tuesday is his day off each week.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    The auto bilge is wired so that it will run even when the keypad is shut off. When the keypad is activated and the pump comes on, it is supposed to activate the blue light on the pad, which apparently it does. Why the pump continues to cycle intermittently, with no water present in the bilge, I have no idea. Since you are fairly close to either Knox Marine or Dixie Marine, if I were you I’d ask for their help or advice. Mike Steele is a whiz at wiring (Knox), but I believe Tuesday is his day off each week.
    JC2 - What's crazy is that I had just picked the boat up from Knox Marine after some work on the Rude G2. When I got home, the autobilge pump was running as described. Never hit the water... parking lot to parking lot. I'm going to give em a ring tomorrow and see what they think I should do. Good advice. I was hoping that someone here would be able to say "Totally had the same issue... do xyz and you're all set." They will probably be able to tell me that. I'll post the findings.

Thanks!

Jay

Sounds like its a bad Float switch on the pump. Some you can just replace the float switch and some you have to get the whole pump and switch.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents