Wet sanding question

Guys- I am in the process of wet sanding my boat and I noticed the top of the motor cowl has some light oxidation. I know I can wet sand this, but my question is what grit would you recommend I start with? I have been doing the boat with 1000,1500,2000. Don’t want to take too much off by starting with 1000, if I should only use 2000. As always appreciate the help in advance.

Which cowl ?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    For the outboard motor. I will snap a few pics tonight and post them on here.

Which brand....
    www.ncboatguy.com

This is a detailed article about the process for a boat, by a professional, with mentions of all the products he uses. For the cowl, it's a single stage paint, so you can use the same guidelines, depending on the level of restoration.

https://www.wavetowave.com/home/2018...olor-and-shine

How do you know the cowl the OP is posting about is a single stage paint...we don’t know the brand of mota...
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. Member
    Listen to Ted he knows what he doing. He may be able to save you a lot of time and $$$$

8. Member
    Sorry guys, I've been a little busy. Crank - The motor is an 2001 xr6 150. Don't know type of paint process went into these. Did some research on the interweb and couldn't find any information regarding their processes in '01.

9. Banned
    I have the same motor and year as you do. Mine also had some oxidation on top and I was a little Leary of wet sanding it. So I just buffed it out with a wool pad and 3M rubbing compound. Took some time but it came out real nice. Since then I have also done several Merc 50's the same way and they all came out real nice.

Would like to hear from crank68 if he recommends wet sands cowlings or not tho.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

Even though these cowls are plastic...you can sand and buff however compound and a wool pad is what I would try first. If you do sand don’t be aggressive with the plastic....IMO it’s harder to get the sand scratches out. Also the plastic responds to the 3M Perfect It series of auto polishes that are used with a DA. Perfect It 2 and 3 would be used for a mirror like finish after compounding. A few months back I did this on a 300X cowl for “rchavis” he posted above. Call me if you need addition help. I’ll try to get you goin.
    www.ncboatguy.com

12. Member
    Appreciate the help Crank. My plan is to get on this project this weekend. I will make sure to post before and after pics.