Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the best 4 blade prop 2018 20 Trx paitriot

Can’t get setup right been running a 25 fury worked by mark 68 at 5600 rpm is the best I can get that’s with a hydraulic plate tryed it all different heights that’s with me by my self 2 10 ft blades n ultrex maybe that’s it but I was hoping for somewhere in the 70s but if that’s all I’m gonna get I’m gonna put a good 4 blade on it caus I like the way they Handel

2. Member
    A 4 blade will be slower. How are you trimming and raising the plate? What is the history of the prop, ie what did Mark do and has it been damaged before?

More info, what engine, how much set back ?

4. Member
    12” bobs prop was new came on the boat no damage I had gave Mark where it was at n he gave it some bow lift and balance n blueprint I have tried the plate all over but I start with it up and start bringing it down as the boat starts to break over so it doesn’t blow out then I bring it down but it runs the best at about 2 3/4 on the gage if I go up higher till it slowed down I take the trim up then I bump it down a click or to some time I leave it at the 2 3/4 it will take off fine like that and just trim the motor up but 68 is the best I can get and it’s a 250 proxs and all I can get is about 5500 rpms no matter what I do

5. Member
    You have two adjustments, two variables which need to be isolated. Start out with the trim all the way down and the plate down an inch lower then where you have been running it. Take off and add trim until it is trimmed all the way up. Then start adding elevation until you get to 6krpm. Keep your water pressure above 20psi.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leo13 View Post
    A 4 blade will be slower. How are you trimming and raising the plate? What is the history of the prop, ie what did Mark do and has it been damaged before?
    Not always true. I have a 21 hp with 250 pro xs and the 4 blade is faster than my 3 blade.

7. Member
    You have not tried the right 3 blade. In general more blades will be slower unless the prop is setup to surface. More blades equals more drag.

Quote Originally Posted by DAH1986 View Post
    Not always true. I have a 21 hp with 250 pro xs and the 4 blade is faster than my 3 blade.

8. Member
    What do you think is the right one I no the boat should run faster than 67 n that’s with just me in it

9. Member
    You have not tried the right 3 blade. In general more blades will be slower unless the prop is setup to surface. More blades equals more drag.
    Ive tried every 3 blade worth trying. A Triton boat is designed to run with the motor high and a 4 blade prop allows for that so the boat can perform at its peak. With the 3 blade more of the boat stays in the water because I can’t come up with motor as high and decreases its performance. Best I’ve ever hit with a 4 blade was 81.5. Best I’ve hit with 3 blade was 79.8.

10. Member
    The main problem you have is the 5600 max rpm. Something is wrong. Either your not trimming up all the way, not high enough on the plate, prop damage or an engine issue. The gauge for the jack plate may not equal the actual ptp measurement. 2 3/4 on the gauge is not the same as 2 3/4" ptp. Also a new prop or repaired prop does not equal a good prop. Again trim first and then raise the plate until you reach 6krpm.

The best 3 blade is a 26 tempest. An all around prop that does nothing great nor bad is the 25 fury. Right now I'm testing a 27 bravo which is my heavy load rough water prop. The newer triton hulls do not work well with a ptp less then 2.25" and 2.75" is the best. Although the set back does affect the ptp. The further back the higher the outboard can be. It does not really affect the drag because the water rises higher further back so the same amount of prop and lower unit are in the water. Eg. With an 8" plate the ideal ptp might be 2.75-3" and with a 12 plate the equivalent ptp might be 2.25-2.5".

When the ptp is too small, (outboard is too high) it reduces the leverage or moment that the outboard imparts on the hull which reduces the bow lift. This is why for these hulls it is recommended not to go above 2.5" ptp and not larger then a 10" jack plate.

For tournament bass competition the requirement is more then just top speed. Tournament morning load/performance is paramount. I have set my 21xhp to run 76-77 with good rough water handling and still be able to carry a full load in the afternoon. Morning load is two people gear and 30-40gals of fuel. Afternoon is the same with both wells full.

The props that I have tested are below. I currently own 2 x 26 tempests that have been b&b'ed by Croxton and a 27 Bravo. All were purchased new and IMO the stock 26 temp migh be 1-2mph faster then the b&b'ed but the b&b'ed units are better all around, handling, holeshot etc.

25, 26, 27 Tempest
    25,26 Fury
    26, Tropy
    27 Bravo 1 xs

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy15 View Post
    What do you think is the right one I no the boat should run faster than 67 n that’s with just me in it
    Last edited by leo13; 07-29-2018 at 04:46 PM.

11. Member
    Thanks for the info if you think you might no something that would help me of have a prop in mind that may help you can give me a call 3175149132 I’m about to try a 4 blade but my boat is 20 it looks like you have a 21 I bet there not to different

12. Member
    I would try a new 25 Tempest with 3 large plugs. Later if you want to improve it you can send it to Croxton.

Thanks for the info if you think you might no something that would help me of have a prop in mind that may help you can give me a call 3175149132 I’m about to try a 4 blade but my boat is 20 it looks like you have a 21 I bet there not to different

13. Member
    So if I try a four blade now I’m running a 25 fury I should get 26 4 blade or is there a good 4 blade out there u can buy off the shelf

14. Member
    If your going to run a fury you will need to drop pitch I can't get a fury to run on my 21trx the 25,26 tempest are 3-4 mph faster and carry a load better.. My 21np loved the 26 tempest from Croxton , every time I would try a trophy I lost speed, a blade,or the ability to power load on the trailer.

15. Member
    So with my 20 fter would u go with 25 or 26 cause I’m gonna call n order one in the morning

16. Member
    The main problem you have is the 5600 max rpm. Something is wrong. Either your not trimming up all the way, not high enough on the plate, prop damage or an engine issue. The gauge for the jack plate may not equal the actual ptp measurement. 2 3/4 on the gauge is not the same as 2 3/4" ptp. Also a new prop or repaired prop does not equal a good prop. Again trim first and then raise the plate until you reach 6krpm.

The best 3 blade is a 26 tempest. An all around prop that does nothing great nor bad is the 25 fury. Right now I'm testing a 27 bravo which is my heavy load rough water prop. The newer triton hulls do not work well with a ptp less then 2.25" and 2.75" is the best. Although the set back does affect the ptp. The further back the higher the outboard can be. It does not really affect the drag because the water rises higher further back so the same amount of prop and lower unit are in the water. Eg. With an 8" plate the ideal ptp might be 2.75-3" and with a 12 plate the equivalent ptp might be 2.25-2.5".

When the ptp is too small, (outboard is too high) it reduces the leverage or moment that the outboard imparts on the hull which reduces the bow lift. This is why for these hulls it is recommended not to go above 2.5" ptp and not larger then a 10" jack plate.

For tournament bass competition the requirement is more then just top speed. Tournament morning load/performance is paramount. I have set my 21xhp to run 76-77 with good rough water handling and still be able to carry a full load in the afternoon. Morning load is two people gear and 30-40gals of fuel. Afternoon is the same with both wells full.

The props that I have tested are below. I currently own 2 x 26 tempests that have been b&b'ed by Croxton and a 27 Bravo. All were purchased new and IMO the stock 26 temp migh be 1-2mph faster then the b&b'ed but the b&b'ed units are better all around, handling, holeshot etc.

25, 26, 27 Tempest
    25,26 Fury
    26, Tropy
    27 Bravo 1 xs
    So you're saying that a stock Tempest will run better than Tempest B&Bed by Mark? If so you don't have the B&Bed prop set-up and dialed in right. And it's a pretty bold statement to say "the best 3 blade is a 26p Tempest". It might be the best for you but the "best" prop is the one that gives a guy what HE'S looking for in speed, handling, and holeshot based upon the way he runs his boat and his set-up.

17. Member
    So with my 20 fter would u go with 25 or 26 cause I’m gonna call n order one in the

morning
    if you go to a 26 you will lose another 200 rpm

you need to pick up 400-500 rpm I would look at a 24 but I would think you should try 25 worked tempest first. The old hulls liked a trophy prop but the new ones don't seem to run as well. I would look at your hot foot throttle adjustment first make sure your getting full throttle.

18. Member
    I did I had it to the shop at first it was only getting 78% but they fixed it no it’s getting it all I think it’s a prop issue or the 10 ft blades and ultrex I’m not sure

19. Member
    I own 2 Croxton B&B'ed Tempest props that were purchased new and sent directly to him to be B&B'ed. I don't run a stock Tempest so IMO the Croxton Tempest is the best. They perform much better in every way except top speed which might be 1-2mph slower, but still very respectable. My use is tournament fishing so my opinion is based on that application. Tournament morning the Croxton props will get me from point A to point B faster then a stock Tempest. Top speed does not win this type of race.

You can argue the point of what is best for one's application all you want but there is still one constant and that is the hull. When you try many different props, pitch's and setups you will find that the Tempest's are the best readily available props for the Triton hulls. In the beginning I read many prop reviews and most recommended the Tempest. I have tested many props and the general opinion seems to be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    So you're saying that a stock Tempest will run better than Tempest B&Bed by Mark? If so you don't have the B&Bed prop set-up and dialed in right. And it's a pretty bold statement to say "the best 3 blade is a 26p Tempest". It might be the best for you but the "best" prop is the one that gives a guy what HE'S looking for in speed, handling, and holeshot based upon the way he runs his boat and his set-up.
    Last edited by leo13; 08-30-2018 at 03:18 PM.

20. Member
    You are over propped. A 25 Fury is too much. You should try a new 25P Tempest or a 24 Fury. Both of these should get you closer to 6krpm and over 70mph.

I did I had it to the shop at first it was only getting 78% but they fixed it no it’s getting it all I think it’s a prop issue or the 10 ft blades and ultrex I’m not sure
    Last edited by leo13; 08-30-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast