Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultrex creaking, popping and crackling sounds

Ive heard people having this issue and thought i was lucky because when new it was quiet and tight. Now, a month and a half later it has the noises I mentioned in the title. Fish spooking noises!! What do I need to do to tighten or fix this up to quiet it back down. I tried searching but just found a few people mentioning the problem but no fixes mentioned.

2. Member
    Have the same issue with the fortrex. Same mount. Haven’t found a solution.

3. Member
    There has to be something that will silence the noise. Ill start dismantling the damn thing and figure it out. It got ridiculously noisy at last Saturdays tournament, Love everything it does except the noise. Eats through vegetation way better than my 109 Tours. Seems to be more powerful by a lot.

4. Member
    When you figure it out, please let us know.

5. Banned
    does it sound like this? i sprayed wax as you dry where the shaft enters the head. it hasn't squeaked since. no other noises coming from my motor or the mount

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    does it sound like this? i sprayed wax as you dry where the shaft enters the head. it hasn't squeaked since. no other noises coming from my motor or the mount

Not even close TroyBoy! You and I have been on many threads about the Fortrex change of direction "pop" that literally sounds like the mount is breaking. Most have it and the rest will not admit it due to post purchase anxiety and not wanting to admit there is a flaw. Fuelleak as others asked, when you find a solution please let us know. And FYI, Minn Kota will say they have never heard of the problem.

7. Banned
    never had it on my fortrex and don't have it on my ultrex. course mine is a puny 80#

8. Member
    I have the creaking like you plus a cracking metallic sound along with a popping. Partner thought it was falling off the boat last Saturday, thought the through bolts that hold the motor to the hull had loosened but checked them on the water and they were rock solid. Surprised no one has figured out what causes the problem and how to fix it?

9. Member
    The problem, in most cases, originates in the rear pivots / pivot bushings. It allows the uni arm to twist when under power.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    I have the creaking like you plus a cracking metallic sound along with a popping. Partner thought it was falling off the boat last Saturday, thought the through bolts that hold the motor to the hull had loosened but checked them on the water and they were rock solid. Surprised no one has figured out what causes the problem and how to fix it?
    This describes it beautifully but I don't think you will find a fix. Many have tried replacing the bow guard but it returns. Heck, I tried changing from a 101 to a 112 it got so bad but the 112 started the same thing in a short amount of time. Really is sad considering what we pay for these trolling motors. Despite what you are told, if you do a search you will find countless others with the issue and no resolve. Again, let us all know when you find one. Was not aware the ultrex was doing the same but am not surprised. However, there are plenty of ultrex owners that would gladly accept the noise just to have one that runs!

11. Member
    Jeez, Cant believe Im going to have to live with this. Ill see what myself and my friends machine shop can figure out. Anything to be aware of when I start taking things apart?? Anything under tension?

12. Member
    Mounting to the boat distortion causing abnormal movements maybe?
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    Maybe?? I do notice that I have to step on it like a Motorguide to retract it. Deck on my Bass Cat may not be perfectly flat.

My Fortrex does the same thing...Like Jones mentioned it seems to come from the pivot bushings (which I had replaced) and within two weeks it started again....when it rains or is damp there is no squeeking when raising or lowering the trolling motor...maybe I should apply some grease the the bushings?
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    No sir. Again, do an internet search and you will know this is a flaw in the bracket having nothing to do with the mounting.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    My Fortrex does the same thing...Like Jones mentioned it seems to come from the pivot bushings (which I had replaced) and within two weeks it started again....when it rains or is damp there is no squeeking when raising or lowering the trolling motor...maybe I should apply some grease the the bushings?
    Same thing, it will come back

17. Member
    I have a fortrex on two different boats and they both had busted pivot bushings . I replaced both and they both broke again i very little time . I called mk and they said they knew of no one else having this problem . This is the first time I have much into the tm\electrical forum here so I haven't seen the noisy mount posts . I can only assume this might be every ones problem . I have since bought an ultrex and I guess since it is still new there are no noises yet . If mr. jones could chime in on the frequency of the bushings going out that would be great .

18. Member
    Having read all these post and given this some thought I recommend that anyone having problems with the Ultrex/Fortrex mounts should do the following.
    As suggested above find some dry lubricant and put some on the pivot bushings that attaches the upper arm to the base of the mount. The side covers on the mount will have to be removed to do this. Do not I repeat Do not put any type of grease on this pivot. Grease will attack the pivot bushings cause them to get brittle and break.
    Treat this a any other Item on your boat. Some maintenance is required.
    As stated in an above post He called Minn Kota and and they said they are not aware of the problem. Well they are probably right. Send Minn Kota and e-mail and describe your problem. If they receive enough complains they they will address the issue. Just like the steer cables and the position sensor issue on the earlier model Ultrex.
    If you have issues with your troll motor then bring it to an ASC. Did will do any and all warranty work. Any attempt to tamper with are modify your troll motor will void the warranty. Then you will be stuck with a bill that could have been avoided.
    I repeat from above Some Maintenance is required.

Iv had my ultrex since Feb and use it every week. I dont not have any noise. What bushing are yall talking about to I can add some dry lube or something before it starts.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

20. Banned
    The grinding poping metal sound you described gave me flash back visions of what happens when wire cable is twisted and goes through pulleys.
    If that is the case the fix is to remove the cable ends and work out any twists in the cable before you wrap it around the pulleys again.
    It will be something that I will watch as this leads to excessive wear on the cable, pulleys, and guides all along the cable run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast