Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    It is not the cables causing this sound. It is the mount itself that pops and cracks. I was going through pivot bushings like mad. I can chnage them out like a Nascar pit crew I've done it so much. In desperation I lubed mine with silicone spray and that stopped. I just sprayed the knuckle area and associated parts (which have all been replaced) with a dry lube. I will report back on results.

2. Banned
    seems to only be the 112's? maybe too much power for the mount?

3. Member
    It happened to my 80 and 112 multiple times .

4. Member
    Well, I think I may of found and answer or maybe a partial contributor to the noises that the Ultrex can have. I drilled 2 more holes in the boat and added a 3rd pair of mounting bolts to the base and it significantly reduced noise. At first I just removed a Tour 109 and used those 4 original holes that matched up thinking that was plenty. Guess these Ultex's should be pinned down with 6 screws rather than 4. Just got a new boat that had a Ultrex mounted by Falcon using 6 bolts and it is very quite. Curious if any of you guys with the snap, crackle, pop Ultrex's are only using four bolts??

5. Member
    Maybe even try using them rubber spacers that come with some trolling motors.... or maybe even a rubber mat, just something to dampen the torque

6. Member
    Yes, kind of surprised how quite the motor got when using 6 bolts vs 4. I suggest anyone having these issues to make sure there platform that the motor sits on it level and that you use 6 bolts front, middle, and rear.

My Fortrex snaps, crackles and pops like crazy....(its the pivot arm bushings) and it also has some play where the mount meets the shaft when in the "troll" position...I have 6 bolts and a 1/4" thick silicone rubber mat under it as a damper.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle View Post
    It is not the cables causing this sound. It is the mount itself that pops and cracks. I was going through pivot bushings like mad. I can chnage them out like a Nascar pit crew I've done it so much. In desperation I lubed mine with silicone spray and that stopped. I just sprayed the knuckle area and associated parts (which have all been replaced) with a dry lube. I will report back on results.
    Dry lube did nothing. Still sounds like a creaky door.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    The problem, in most cases, originates in the rear pivots / pivot bushings. It allows the uni arm to twist when under power.
    Agreed. When my Fortex got really noisy I found that screws for the pivot bushing holders had snapped off allowing a lot of extra movement in the main pivot. I replaced them and the bushings (they use stronger screws now) and the noise stopped. Ultrex uses the same setup.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

10. Member
    rickmb, can you post a photo or draw an image to indicate the area you are discussing in the above message.
    Thanks.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    The problem, in most cases, originates in the rear pivots / pivot bushings. It allows the uni arm to twist when under power.
    This is the issue. The parts to fix it are 99cents each. You need two of them. It's a plastic pivot bushing. They crack and break. I bought a half dozen of them and keep them in the garage for when, not if, it happens again.

I have a set set of them at work as I type this. I'm trying to get a little time on our CNC machine to make some billet copies. It's a shame, that at $2600, it has cheap plastic shit used in critical places.

12. Member
    Well maybe my mount that the arm sits in is shot and is twisting at high power. I have replaced the pivot bushings and screws many times. Everything is down tight. Same issue. Really p..ses me off since I know this is a common issue on these motors and Minn Kota knows about it. My next motor is an ultrex, but unfortunately the mount is the same.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayoufellow View Post
    rickmb, can you post a photo or draw an image to indicate the area you are discussing in the above message.
    Thanks.
    Here is a pic of the kit showing the parts involved:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=minn+kota+fortrex+pics&client=firefox-b-1-ab&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiIwb O5i5rdAhUr0YMKHZCzDIEQsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1920&bih=915 #imgrc=mMzxpbMExmkdBM:

I am referring to the main pivot point:
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...f4yS_VMObtcRrg
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

14. Member
    Old thread but I have this problem and can,t find a solution. Anyone know how to stop this creaking and popping when I use the trolling motor?

15. Member
    Get a new trolling motor or a new mount. I got an ultrex, which so far has been superb. I siliconed the crap out of my mount before I replaced the motor and it seemed to help some.

Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    Mounting to the boat distortion causing abnormal movements maybe?
    Most likely cause, got to be it is mounted so it does not distort when bolted down, then use just a little Lucas chain lube on all pivot and contact points, be sure to wipe all the excess off
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12