Molding your own plastic crankbait body

I've molded some big swim baits in the past but I'd like to mold my own ul crankbait bodies.
    The issue for me is that I'd like to add some weight inside for a sinking model like a spy bait.
    I'm not quite sure how to add the weight. The bait will be pretty small so it will be a 1pc mold, like a top pour.
    I'm not sure I can drill in to the body to add weight. Any ideas?
    Question everything!

2. Member
    Check out the "how to" videos on www.makelure.com. There is one on making a glide bait that discusses lure composition, hook placement, etc. and their impact on lure performance. Might answer some of your questions. You might also consider posting this question on www.tackeunderground.com.

3. Member
    I have poured baits using alumilite resin in silicone molds I made. Use a tungsten bullet weight for the ballast.

Allen

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkin View Post
    I have poured baits using alumilite resin in silicone molds I made. Use a tungsten bullet weight for the ballast.
    What was your experience with the alumilite? I want to make some musky glide baits and worry about the hooks pulling free. Wondering if through wire is necessary.

5. Member
    3D printer?
    Dont know about adding weight, tho.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VanderLaan View Post
    What was your experience with the alumilite? I want to make some musky glide baits and worry about the hooks pulling free. Wondering if through wire is necessary.
    I don't know about musky baits but this stuff is as hard as any wood I have ever used. Straight alumilite does not float so you have to add microballoons. Ran over a body that didn't pour right with my Yukon and it didn't break.

Allen

7. Member
    Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

8. Banned
    Let Me know when this transpires, I'd like to be able to observe. This will quench Your exhibitionist tendencies..

9. Member
    molding now. We can build some this week if you are free.
    Question everything!