Thread: Seafood help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seafood help

So ive never really given seafood a good shot. (Other than fish). I don't typically care for fishy tasting fish and the few times ive had stuff like shrimp or crab legs it was a little too fishy for me. My friends who do like seafood have always told me don't judge it until you get known fresh seafood.

So it appears Costco at times will have what appears to be fresh seafood. At least they had a guy standing in the middle with a trough of ice and seafood critters surrounding him. Thought about giving some of the Alaskan crab legs or something a go.

For a rookie what would you recommend and how would you cook it. My buddy recommended crab legs as he says all you really need is a way to steam them then some melted clarified butter

What says the BBC cooks.

2. Derek McCullough
    King crab legs are awesome on the grill! They are already cooked when you buy them, you are basically just bringing them up to temp.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by derek81 View Post
    King crab legs are awesome on the grill! They are already cooked when you buy them, you are basically just bringing them up to temp.
    Really... I thought they were flash frozen on the boat during processing then shipped in. So they are already cooked ???

Maybe what I was looking at wasn't even king crab legs. Its not like I'm an expert here. Whatever they were they are around the length of my arm and kinda freaky looking lol.

4. Member
    You have King crab and Snow crab...Snow crab is a cheaper more easily caught crab that is very similar to King Crab. King crab is the king of crabs! It will usually come from the grocery store in a precooked form which can be seen with reddish shell tones. I have never seen king or snow crab actually fresh without being precooked.. so I am not sure what color the shell is when it is caught live. Lobster is obvious...you can pick your bug out of a tank that is alive at a lot of sources. I prefer warm water lobster as it is not as strong tasting as cold water "Maine" lobster....both are excellent on the grill. If you are interested in fish...choose a fish that has white meat and it will for sure in most cases when it is from salt water or fresh water be less fishy tasting. I am not a fan of "fishy" fish either. I enjoy Mahi Mahi blackened on a cast iron skillet outside (never blacken fish inside). I also enjoy Grouper, Flounder, Cod, Swordfish, Sea bass, and Sheep head all grilled. If you are after fresh water fish, try Perch deep fried, try Walleye any way you can think of, and try Crappie deep fried, try spotted bass deep fried. All other fresh water fish taste very fishy to me. Shrimp "Key West pinks" are quite nice on the grill...I like to take the jumbo 10 -12 count per pound and shell them completely wrap them in bacon and put them on a skewer, then add BBQ sauce to them as they are grilled...MMM...be cautious as to not overcook your shrimp as it will turn out very dry...so does crab or lobster. My favorite surf and turf consists of fillet mignon and sea scallops sauted in a bit of wine and butter...beware of imitation scallops! some are actually only shark meat...another very interesting twist would be frog legs deep fried...yet another would be alligator meat "cheeks are best"...pan fried or deep fried. I lived in South Florida for 25 years and have fished and hunted for all species listed aside from the crabs. It use to be very rewarding to catch, kill, and eat these critters and fish....that is as fresh as it gets! I now live in N.E. Ga. and enjoy catching ,cooking and eating walleye, spotted bass, and crappie...fresh of the hook.

5. Member
    I like that shrimp and bacon idea. Cant hurt anything to add bacon.

One thing I'm worried about is either under or over cooking. How are you judging something like shrimp to be up to temp. Always heard if you over cook it you basically ruin it but I also am sketched out with under cooking.

6. Member
    We do shrimp on the grill often. The outside of the shrimp should turn a nice pink color when it is cooked while the meat inside should be white and opaque.

Seriously...Most of cooking is trial and error. All the recipes and advice in the world only go so far. For shrimp, overcooking is the issue. If you grill, skewer up a couple at a time until you find the time you want. Clams and oysters are excellent on a grill. Medium heat. Just toss clams on and wait for the shells to pop. Lemon and hot sauce. Good eats. We shuck oysters and leave them on the half shell. Squirt of lemon, pinch of minced garlic, just a bit of cheese and a sprinkle of Italian seasoning and bread crumbs on top. Onto the grill until the cheese is gooey. Couple minutes. Most of the time I just eat them raw. Shit. I'm getting hungry.

8. Member
    So is there a drastic difference between say what Walmart might have in the frozen section vs say a specialty shop? I saw Walmart has several brands of snow crab claws and I thought that might be great to start with. Didn't know though if what they had was going to be crap. On one hand to me frozen is frozen but maybe there is more to it.

9. Member
    Fr8dog is correct as far as frozen if you dont live on the cost all our stuff is going to be frozen even the pretty stuff in the display case comes frozen. Thres a recipe on here that is awesome i think its called captain daves shrimp so easy to do they use an oven but ive done it on the grill every time i have done it its gone in a few minutes LOL

10. Member
    Sorry it was Bobs i use zatarians cajun hot sauce

CAPT BOB’S WORLD FAMOUS BBQ SHRIMP

1 or 2 lbs of RAW shrimp (look for easy peel shrimp as most are now a days)
    Olive oil
    Franks Hot Sauce
    Salt (kosher is best)
    FRESH GROUND pepper
    Lee & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce (and yes it does make a difference this time using the brand name)
    ¼ lb of BUTTER

Coat a ¾ inch or deeper cookie sheet with olive oil
    Place shrimp in nice rows on cookie sheet (leave the shells ON)
    Drizzle shrimp more olive oil
    Sprinkle shrimp with a little salt (don’t over salt)
    Grind pepper on shrimp until they are covered then add some more pepper
    Pour on Worcestershire sauce to cover the shrimp
    Pour on Franks Hot Sauce covering the shrimp
    Cut butter into pads and place on every 4-5th shrimp
    Cook in a preheated 400 degree oven for 5-7 minutes or until shrimp curl up (DO NOT OVER COOK)
    REMEMBER YOU ARE SEASONING THE SHRIMP THROUGH THEIR SHELLS AND YOU ARE MAKING A BBQ SAUCE THE SHRIMP ARE TO COOK IN, SO BE LIBERAL WITH EVERYTHING BUT THE SALT.
    Serve with cut up French Bread and butter to soak up the sauce on the cookie sheet (place cookie sheet in middle of table and have your guest help themselves….have LOTS of napkins at hand)
    Cold Beer goes very well with this summer time treat
    ENJOY ! ! !

I shell the shrimp. Brush butter on them and sprinkle with Old Bay. I put the pellet grill on high. Flip the shrimp once. Oh yea, after I shell them I put them on skewers. Makes them easy to work with on the grill.

Quote Originally Posted by derek81 View Post
    I've always been curious. Whats the advantage of doing these on the grill? does the smoke taste actually get through the shell to the meat?

13. Member
    Thinking about how I might cook some of this I think it might be a good opportunity to use my sous vide machine. I could set it 10 degrees under ideal and quickly finish on the grill. Would eliminate me being stupid and overcooking.

Looked up the ideal temp for shrimp and it said 120. Really surprised as that seems low to me but no clue.

14. Member
    seafood dosnt take long at all including fish!!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassworm1 View Post
    seafood dosnt take long at all including fish!!
    And there lies the issue LOL . Guarantee if I try to cook it with direct heat I'm gonna ruin it LOL.

I have never cooking shrimp on the grill but really want to start, I just don't know how to do it really. How do you know when the shrimp is done? I would hate to eat under cooked shrimp but don't want to chew on a rubber band either.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fish_4_Five View Post
    I've always been curious. Whats the advantage of doing these on the grill? does the smoke taste actually get through the shell to the meat?
    Because we look better with a beer in our hand by the grill than we do by the stove. LOL
    But seriously, the grill gives a char taste that can’t be beat.
    2002 Ranger 520 DVX / 2002 225hp Optimax

Try this one, Green Lightning Shrimp

http://necessaryindulgences.com/2013...htning-shrimp/
    2002 Ranger 520 DVX / 2002 225hp Optimax

I found a recipe in America's Test Kitchen cookbook for grilled shrimp that really changed the way I cooked shrimp. I used to grill them on fairly low heat, usually shelled and skewered on bamboo. Always good, but I love shrimp...
    This recipe or method took my grilled shrimp to a whole new level. I can't copy and paste the recipe without a login, but the searing method was kind of a breakthrough for me.

It's basically this:
    1. Skewer peeled shrimp
    2. Brush with olive oil, then lightly sprinkle sugar on one side.
    3. Prepare a butter scampi sauce (and you can heat it on the other side of the grill)
    3. Sear shrimp sugared-side down to caramelize, then flip. Off the top of my head, maybe 1-2 minutes a side.
    4. Slide shrimp into your heated sauce and finish cooking.

Really like the ATK recipes for the learning approach. They tell you the "Why" to do it a certain way that I can apply to other things.

Charcoal-Grilled Shrimp Skewers

From Summer Cooking

WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS

Great grilled shrimp—tender, moist, and flavorful—are hard to come by. Usually, they’re overcooked and rubbery, giving the jaws a workout, thanks to their quick cooking time and the high temperature of the grill. Grilling shrimp in their shells can guarantee juiciness, but the seasoning tends to be lost when the shells are pulled off. We wanted tender, juicy, boldly seasoned grilled shrimp, with the flavor in the shrimp and not on our fingers.
    Our decision to go with peeled shrimp for this recipe meant we had to revisit how we traditionally grilled shrimp. First we eliminated brining, which created waterlogged shrimp and hindered caramelization. Then we set the shrimp over a screaming-hot fire. This worked well with jumbo shrimp, but smaller shrimp overcooked before charring. With jumbo shrimp costing as much as $25 per pound, we decided against them. They did give us an idea, though. For our next step, we created faux jumbo shrimp by cramming a skewer with several normal-sized shrimp pressed tightly together. Our final revision was to take the shrimp off the fire before they were completely cooked (but after they had picked up attractive grill marks). We finished cooking them in a heated sauce waiting on the cool side of the grill; this final simmer gave them tons of flavor.

20. Member
    Skin on fillet of fish (salmon, trout, halibut, etc). Cut a paper bag to the exact size of the fillet. Place the fillet skin side down on the cut piece of paper bag. Place it on the grill medium high heat for about 8-10 minutes or until it reaches 130*. Skin comes off with the paper. Always comes out great and easy to do. Any and all seasoning I put on a good piece of wild sockeye are salt and pepper. That's it.

Grilled Pacific lobster tail is always a great go-to as well. Run a skewer length wise down the tail, so it doesn't curl on the grill. Split the top, baste with butter, lemon, minced garlic and grill belly side down until 135*

And x1000 on ATK's recipes. Those always turn out great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast