Prop Help / Set-Up Help Please

As I commented last week, I am having some trouble getting on plane when heading in stiff current / stiff wind.
    Boat bogs down, no rpms and I can't get the bow down.
    Hole-shot and getting on plane is fine 99% of the time. The other 1% is frustrating.

Set-Up:
    2013 Z519
    225 Pro-XS / Torquemaster Lower Unit
    Tempest Plus 24P with (3) "Large Plugs"
    10" Manual Slidemaster
    8 ft PP Blades
    4 batteries
    Pad to Prop = 3-15/16"

Any advice .... ?
    I am not concerned with losing a couple mph top end ..... I rarely travel 65+ as-is
    Thanks
    http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=92936&dateline=150203  9213
    2013 Ranger Z519 / 225 Mercury Pro XS

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    First thing I would do is remove all plugs.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I assume the prop needs to be removed and the plugs pushed from the inside out (?)
    http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=92936&dateline=150203  9213

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael49 View Post
    I assume the prop needs to be removed and the plugs pushed from the inside out (?)
    You can do it that way, or if you’re careful, dig them out with a small, flat-blade screwdriver. It also will help you to get on plane faster if you place more weight toward the front of the boat. This is easy to accomplish with a gazillion pounds of jigs and plastics.

5. Member
    Being couple years old plugs maybe stiff, prying out maybe tough but will work,
    New replacements maybe best after if need to be reused.
    plugs are not expensive

6. Member
    All right, all three plugs are out, we will see if it helps next time out. Tdot was right.... I did pull the prop, and they were hard, had to "dig them out" so they will need to be replaced with new if necessary.

I was curious: not knowing anything about set-up, is the 3-15/16" prop to pad the right dimension?

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael49 View Post
    I was curious: not knowing anything about set-up, is the 3-15/16" prop to pad the right dimension?
    That’s a little deep, especially for a Tempest. I’d adjust to 3 1/4” prop to pad if I were you, and eventually could go even higher depending upon water pressure, how it runs, etc.

8. Member
    That’s a little deep, especially for a Tempest. I’d adjust to 3 1/4” prop to pad if I were you, and eventually could go even higher depending upon water pressure, how it runs, etc.
    Thanks John:
    Now at 3-7/16" PTP
    (3) Open Holes
    I will let you know the results next time out

9. Member
    Make sure you bring new plugs to the lake with you i would be willing to be all 3 open on a tempest is to much venting. Probably going to need at least 1 plug in it. If you want the best holeshot get a 24p fury in either a 3 or 4 blade

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I agree with JT that the Tempest is a little more sensitive to venting than the Fury. Not knowing how Michael is loaded, he may need one plug. He will soon find out if it’s going to blow out. Just don’t get too far from the ramp.

11. Member
    I agree with JT that the Tempest is a little more sensitive to venting than the Fury. Not knowing how Michael is loaded, he may need one plug. He will soon find out if it’s going to blow out. Just don’t get too far from the ramp.
    I have 2 power poles, 4 batteries, too much tackle and none of the guys I fish with are "petite" ..... including myself !!
    I figured out how to adjust the SlideMaster ( first after 3 years ! ) and have the PTP at 3-7/16" ..... put back in two large plugs, now one open.
    Don't know if I am going to be able to "test" before next tournament, so I needed to be conservative with the plugs.
    Thanks for the advice, I have zero prop/set-up knowledge so the comments were appreciated.