Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Garage Door Replacement

Well it's time to get a new 7x16 steel insulated door to replace the damaged one which is 12 years old. It has windows across the top which match the smaller single door next to it.
    The hardware etc. it's in decent shape and the opener it's a Chamberlin 1/2 hp LiftMaster screw drive which works fine. The hardware also is in good shape. 3 of the panels have cracks which have weakened the door and for the cost it's cheaper too replace the whole door.
    The local guy wants to replace all the hardware, it's that necessary?
    He told me the new door and hardware is around $1,300. Or should I maybe insist on just a door replacement using the existing hardware avoiding the extra labor etc. Thanks
    2012 Ranger Z518
    Motor Info:
    200 XS
    Serial number 1B882317
    Model number 1200P73EY

2. Member
    If the rollers are good just use the existing. If the rollers are the cheap plastic ones, I would go with the steel with bearings.

3. Member
    Some time ago I saw indidvidual garage door panels at either Lowes or Home depot. They had one of the more popular brands. I helped my son change out a couple and it wasn't that hard.

The hardware comes with the door. To remove the hardware from your old door and install on the new one is more labor not less. 16x7 steel front steel back insulated with windows would cost you about 1600 around here.
    2015 Nitro Z6
    2015 Mercury 115 4S CT

5. Member
    I was talking more about the the whole side tracks and bar, wheels etc.
    2012 Ranger Z518
    Motor Info:
    200 XS
    Serial number 1B882317
    Model number 1200P73EY

Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    If the rollers are good just use the existing. If the rollers are the cheap plastic ones, I would go with the steel with bearings.
    I just replaces the steel rollers in two doors, one is an 18x7 with nylon rollers with sealed bearings. Quieter, and if your door is properly adjusted and lubercated, they will last just as long as metal rollers.

7. Member
    i had a garage door repair shop replace my springs and he put new steel rollers in and greased the the complete channel,i ask why would you ever do that, i have never seen someone grease a channel i ask how the bearing was going to roll and not slide and pick dirt in the channel,i had him wipe it all out and put a shot of oil in the bearing

8. Member
    This is what I was told when I replaced my doors:

The older doors were a different thickness (thicker) than the newer doors. As such the hardware is different is size. Therefore it must be replaced.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 518RangerJeff View Post
    I was talking more about the the whole side tracks and bar, wheels etc.
    So you are going to wind up with a twelve year old door with new sections. The labor will be more to move all the hardware to the new sections, and you still have wornout hardware. And track because they do wear out. The bigger question is are you getting the same door as was installed originally, if you are the question then is what is going to be done to keep the new sections from cracking. The most common thing to do is add more struts to the door to stiffen up the sections. It sounds like you have cheap builder entry level doors.
    John the Garage Doorman

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    I just replaces the steel rollers in two doors, one is an 18x7 with nylon rollers with sealed bearings. Quieter, and if your door is properly adjusted and lubercated, they will last just as long as metal rollers.
    I prefer my doors a little more noisy, I know when the wife arrives

11. Member
    They got pushed in a little and it popped back in. You could not even tell it was pushed in but it was right where two panels interlock and in time the panels had a 1 inch crack across them vertically. When the door went up that section would flop down. I put 1 strut on a couple years ago and last week had to add another. The motor was laboring a little and then a spring gave out so I figure it's time just replace it.
    There is a couple hundred homes in my track. These doors are great but very fragile. I paid extra for the insulated ones. Just have to be careful with them.
    2012 Ranger Z518
    Motor Info:
    200 XS
    Serial number 1B882317
    Model number 1200P73EY

12. Member
    Well it's time to get a new 7x16 steel insulated door to replace the damaged one which is 12 years old. It has windows across the top which match the smaller single door next to it.
    The hardware etc. it's in decent shape and the opener it's a Chamberlin 1/2 hp LiftMaster screw drive which works fine. The hardware also is in good shape. 3 of the panels have cracks which have weakened the door and for the cost it's cheaper too replace the whole door.
    The local guy wants to replace all the hardware, it's that necessary?
    He told me the new door and hardware is around $1,300. Or should I maybe insist on just a door replacement using the existing hardware avoiding the extra labor etc. Thanks
    I bought a new garage door last year at Lowes. It was a $1600.00 on sale for $1400.00. with my Vet, discount it came to $1145.00 installed, it was 16'x7'
    Mike Matthews

U.S.N. 1963-1969

13. Member
    That's a great deal. I need this door too match my 3rd which is a smaller version of the 7x16 or I could go there and get one. Did you tighten the springs yourself? Those rods they use make it look easier or perhaps you could improvise with something similar.
    2012 Ranger Z518
    Motor Info:
    200 XS
    Serial number 1B882317
    Model number 1200P73EY

14. Member
    I might just go there i just looked them up and they have similar options and also check the price and see how much they charge to install it.
    Thanks for that option.
    This lounge has so many helpful guys like you all.
    2012 Ranger Z518
    Motor Info:
    200 XS
    Serial number 1B882317
    Model number 1200P73EY

15. Member
    That's a great deal. I need this door too match my 3rd which is a smaller version of the 7x16 or I could go there and get one. Did you tighten the springs yourself? Those rods they use make it look easier or perhaps you could improvise with something similar.
    Torsion spring?? I had to replace 2 bottom panels. If your springs are adjusted properly you wont have to mess with them. With the door down, double clamp the cable to the track on each side. The remove the doors. The wife thought the door was all the way up and backed out hitting the bottom panel. I couldn't be mad at her, because a few months earlier I did the same thing with the mercury at 3.30 in the morning backing in the garage. Made somewhat of a painless fix of them.
    Last edited by brushsjigs; 07-22-2018 at 05:05 PM.

16. Member
    Yes one of the two snapped.
    2012 Ranger Z518
    Motor Info:
    200 XS
    Serial number 1B882317
    Model number 1200P73EY

17. Member
    Yes one of the two snapped.
    OK your screwed then call the guy. One slip with those springs could really get into your fishing time.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gambler View Post
    I bought a new garage door last year at Lowes. It was a $1600.00 on sale for $1400.00. with my Vet, discount it came to $1145.00 installed, it was 16'x7'
    can you help me with some math,i am cornfused,$1600 on sale with then vet discount $1400.00 so the door cost $1400.00 i am good with that, but did the installation guys pay you the difference in $1400.00 to get down to $1145.00

19. Member
    Doors come with hardware. I can buy a nice 16 x 7 insulated with windows for about $800. Couple hours of labor.

20. Member
    That's a good deal. I went to Lowe's to check. They said for what I need cost 1,388 installed. Insulated and square windows. I'm going to wait for the local guys bid. Lowe's said at minimum 15 days to order. That price does not tell me the installation cost though.
    Last edited by 518RangerJeff; 07-22-2018 at 06:57 PM.
    2012 Ranger Z518
    Motor Info:
    200 XS
    Serial number 1B882317
    Model number 1200P73EY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast